“Change of "budget" hotel”

Ibis Glasgow City Centre
Ranked #47 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Usually we stop at another "budget" hotel in the Charing Cross area when visiting Glasgow but the Ibis was cheaper and in the roughly same location.
Arriving about 10am we expected to leave our bags and go out before checking in but the lady on reception managed to find us a room and so we were checked in early for 2 nights.
Having stayed in an Ibis hotel before we knew what to expect, all the rooms are very alike, functional, not large and the bathroom is of a slot in modular design. Basin, wc, and walk in shower. For me the shower nails it as I hate those above the bath shower types, also you can remove the shower head from the bracket for a good all over power shower.
The location of the hotel is good for local bus services and is a stones throw away from Charing Cross rail station. It is within easy walking distance of Central Station, all uphill, but a cab from central is only about £3.50-£4.00.
The bed was firm but comfortable, duvet thinnish but the room does have a heater and two extra pillows are provided. We were on the 6th floor which was quiet even though we overlooked the main Glasgow police station.
We didn't eat or drink there as there are plenty of bars and eateries a short walk away on Sauchiehall Street.
Would I stay here again? Yes if it's cheaper than my usual "budget" hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bungleye
JaniceFisher, General Manager at Ibis Glasgow City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear Bungleye

Thank you for your review of the hotel, I am glad to see you enjoyed your stay and benefitted from our competitive prices. We do try to offer value and appreciate all your feedback.

I do hope we can be of assistance again in the future.

Janice Fisher

Write a ReviewReviews (1,606)

Reviewed March 1, 2014

This hotel is similar to other Ibis hotels I have used. The room was small but adequate, and it was very clean. The bathroom was clean and modern. As in many other Ibis hotels, it had only two towels, liquid soap, and toilet paper; it had no other supplies. A sign is posted that other items may be purchased at the front desk for one pound each.

Positives: The advanced payment price for the room was very good. The room was available in the morning and I had an early check-in after a long travel.

The only negative I experienced concerns the traffic noise late at night on the weekend. It seems the street adjacent to the hotel has a steady stream of roaring motor vehicles. The noise penetrated the room and made sleep unrestful.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ruppbenn_traveling

Dear Ruppbenn_travelling

Thank you for taking the time to add your review for our hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I am sure other guests will find the information helpful.

I do hope you will choose to stay with Ibis again in the future.

Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Ibis last night as we were visiting glasgow to go to a gig. We got an early check in which we didn't expect. The room had everything we needed for our nights stay. Comfy bed, nice shower, hair dryer and also coffee and tea supplies. The staff were lovely and the 24 hour service and bar downstairs was handy when we got thirsty at night. Lovely place, such a great price too. Would highly recommend.

Dear Anouska33

Thank you for adding your review to our listing, I am so glad you had a lvoely stay and I dop hope we can look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed for a night, the location is really the only good thing about this hotel. Rooms were clean but dated and a bit cramped. Staff weren't great - they guy that checked us in seemed to be management and was quite rude and dimissive, refused to honour a deal (50% discount on breakfast) that was shown clearly on my booking confirmation. He was also rude to one of his staff members in front of us which wasn't great. The window in our room was broken - left open and wouldn't shut, and when I asked for someone to come and fix it, the guy they sent couldn't do it at first, and just shrugged and said we would have to sleep with it open - in February in Scotland. It took some pushing to make him see that this wasn't reasonable.

Overall - I know you get what you pay for, but there are much better places for this amount.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bev L
JaniceFisher, General Manager at Ibis Glasgow City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear Bev L

Thank you for taking the time to add your revew to our listing. Please accept my apologies for the disappointing aspects of our service, we will certainly be looking into this so we can improve for future.

I do hope we can offer you a trouble free stay on your next visit.

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Managed to find this hotel for relatively cheaper than comparative hotels in Glasgow on a Saturday night. This is a budget hotel so we were not expecting five star service but we were very pleasantly surprised with this hotel. Relatively modern hotel, large rooms, well designed bathrooms and incredibly comfortable beds! Would definitely return and recommend!

The only slight problem with this hotel would be the (lack of) car parking! £3 per hour to park on the street in front of the hotel, for a maximum of two hours! There was however an NCP car park which wasn't too far away and only £1.60 per hour!

1  Thank Iain_Row
JaniceFisher, General Manager at Ibis Glasgow City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Iain_Row

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will take advantage of our discounted rate at the multi storey on elmbank St on your next visit.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

I cannot fault my stay here. My room was very modern and clean and the staff were all polite. The hotel is situated in the heart of the city making it an ideal spot to stay if you are heading to the bars and clubs of Glasgow. I paid £63 for my 1 night stay which is very competitive considering the prices of similar hotels in the area. The only downfall was the parking - the website makes it sound like there is a car park but on arrival I found all of the on street spaces outside to be empty. No wonder at 60p for 12 minutes parking! The NCP which is a 5 minute walk was far cheaper at £1.60 an hour. I will definitely be back to this hotel.

Dear Ljwilson

Thank you for adding your review of the hotel, I am delighted to know you will return to us soon. We do have a discounted rate at the multistorey of £12 per 24 hours so I do hope this will be of more help to you next time.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Stayed at ibis for my birthday stayed on 18th and 19th February hotel is spotless bed really comfy and power shower is best I've had in a hotel yet ideally situated for all the pubs on £3 in a taxi from central station saves you walking up all the hills when drunk lol will deffo be back

• Stayed: February 2014
JaniceFisher, General Manager at Ibis Glasgow City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Dear Ayrshirelad

Thank you for the review and many happy returns. I hope you waon't wait as long as your enxt birthday before coming back for the weekend.