“Very poor, not recommended”

Ibis Glasgow City Centre
Ranked #47 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Very poor, not recommended”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

This was my worst ever hotel experience in my whole life.

The poorness of the hotel was very evident from the very moment I stepped into the door, as I had to wait for nearly 10 minutes for a member of staff at reception to come, and then was told that they didn't have a room ready for me (I arrived 15 minutes before check-in time), so they asked me to leave and come back later.

The hotel corridors were not clean at all. The walls were not clean either. There were messy dishes and vacuum cleaners in the corridors, on my way to my door with no staff member.

The room itself was OK in terms of cleaning, the bed was OK but the sleep quality wasn't that good as I could easily hear the couple at the room next door, which they didn't keep quiet until around 2am. The shower was good though, a lot of hot water with good pressure but that's pretty average for any hotel.

The breakfast was awful, the selection was very poor and I found hair in their fruit salad. I didn't eat breakfast for my second and third days, but to their credit, they did refund the cost of breakfast for those two days when I asked for it at checkout.

The staff at reception were nice and polite, however, the cleaning and housekeeping staff were terrible. Even though I had asked not to be disturbed, one of the housekeeping girls was banging at my door early in the morning on a Saturday morning asking if I needed cleaning, and another one walked right into the room an hour later without even knocking the door. Then, I left at around 11am was out until nearly midnight on and the room wasn't cleaned. I also had another unexpected entry to my room later on Sunday, and another two knocks on the door, while I asked not to be disturbed, on Sunday and Monday for housekeeping.

The ONLY good thing about this hotel is its average location, it's not great as there are a lot of hotels in better locations, but it's not that bad either.

I do not recommend, and even though I'm coming back to Glasgow again in a few weeks, I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and go to a better hotel.
1 Thank LoveLifeExplore
JaniceFisher, General Manager at Ibis Glasgow City Centre, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Madam

Thank you for taking the time to add your experiences onto the site, I am deeply sorry if we let you down on this occasion. We do have do not disturb cards in the rooms and always encourage guests to use these if they do not want to be disturbed. I will share your thoughts with our housekeeping team in order that we can improve for the future.

If I can be of furter assistance then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Janice Fisher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

stayed here on Sunday night, very nice room, excellent shower and a comfy bed, what more could you ask for? really central and close to the restaurant I had booked. helpful friendly staff and a reasonable check-out time. only one small thing was no electrical socket near a mirror so next time I stay I will have to bring my own. Ladies need a mirror when drying and straightening their Hair:)

Room Tip: we asked for a quite room and I was given a room on the second floor and had no problem with noise...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Madam

Thank you so much for your feedback on our hotel, we are acively looking at a non disruptive way to add this facility to our rooms so do watch this space.

fylde
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Second time here . The rooms are a little tired but clean and functional. However the beds are new and much more comfortable. Breakfast was ok. I enjoyed my stay the hotel was sufficient for my needs- I was on a course and wanted clean accommodation and an affordable price. - Well done Ibis

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you so much for your review, I am glad you chose to stay with us once more. I do hope you will be a regular user in the future.

Arnhem, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

The hotel and rooms are very clean and modern. Location is OK for the centre - but good if you'll be visiting both the "town" and west end.

Staff very friendly and helpful - had no problems checking in slightly early.

Room was OK but there was a major flaw - there's no wifi, so you have to plug into a LAN cable which comes from the television. Unfortunately this doesn't reach very far, making it impossible to use a laptop at the "desk" and therefore making working extremely uncomfortable, and impossible if trying to use papers etc.

Breakfast was standard hot buffet with continental choices too.

Nothing special, and not a lot to grumble about. That should be Ibis's strapline....

Decent value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
JaniceFisher, General Manager at Ibis Glasgow City Centre, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Sir

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to tell you that we will have free wifi throughout the hotel from June this year. I do hope we can welcome you back then.

Aberchirder, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife and I have travelled throughout Europe for many years and have always found Ibis hotels provide good comfort at budget prices. This hotel is no exception and we enjoyed comfortable twin beds, a good breakfast and helpful staff. Its location near, but not in, the city centre is a bonus because of the quiet surroundings and proximity to buses or taxis.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for adding your review to our site, I am very pleased to see you are a regular user of Ibis worldwide and hope we have the privilege of seeing you again soon.

Glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

It’s hard to even know where to start with this review.

I was going to the theatre and I wanted a hotel nearby, I picked the IBIS Glasgow City Centre because the pictures of it looked nicer than the nearest alternatives and offered a late checkout time of 1200.

The hotel itself is tidy to look at from the outside, with a glass fronted lounge/reception area, and the staff at the reception desk were very friendly and helpful.

The room had a comfortable bed, and the shower had plenty of hot water and the shower head wasn't permanently fixed to the wall.

From then on things started to go downhill.

Entering my room I found that even with the heating off it was a close rival to the surface of the sun in terms of temperature (approx 5778 K if you’re interested). This discomfort was not alleviated by opening the window as it did not open enough to let sufficient air in.

While we’re on the subject of the window, I like a view as much as the next guy, and I expected a restricted city view, but as you can see from the picture, the window seemed somehow…superfluous. Given I was on the top floor, I can only imagine that the lower floors will receive even less sunlight.

The TV and internet reception were spotty, reminiscent of analogue TV during a thunderstorm and dial up internet, with BBC News billed, but not actually available.

All this pales in comparison to the following morning. Having been to the theatre the previous night, and planning on taking full advantage of the late check out, I was somewhat surprised at around 0930 to have a member of the housekeeping staff simply walk into my room unannounced. No knocking at the door, not even a "Hello". Having stayed in many hotels this was a first for me, and really made me feel uncomfortable.

Due to this I couldn't recommend it, and would strongly recommend seeking alternative hotel accommodation options.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rugbymicky
JaniceFisher, General Manager at Ibis Glasgow City Centre, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Sir

Thank you for review, please accept my apologies for the disappointments you experienced. I will be sure to take this up with the staff involved so we can avoid a repeat.

I do hope this will not deter you from staying at Ibis in the future.