“not the best choice”
Review of Victorian House

Victorian House
Ranked #78 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed July 27, 2013

A bit discouraging when you arrive tired and have to walk up what seems like 5 stories. No air conditioning and no use leaving the window open because of the air con unit in the building acros s the road droning ALL nite long! Beds tiny and barely comfortable. Does seem more like a hostel. Close to the town if you are able to walk up and down the 45 degree roads. School of art is nearby as are a couple of decent restaurants again if you can manage the hill. The dining area staff made us feel as if they were doing us a favour by getting the breakfast ready...on there own sweet time. No hair dryer to be found but were told they would see if there was one about if my wife realy needed one. Front desk staff were pretty helpful other wise. Didn, t see the place as actually being dirty but you could feel that it could do with a good going over.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank skirmisherb84
There are newer reviews for Victorian House

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Throughout my life I have stayed in many hotels that aren't of a high standard but this is by far the worst. There was mould on the shower heads, the walls were damp and there was a stench in the bathroom that I cannot explain. My friends and I were meant to be staying for two nights here and only managed to stay for the one. For the money paid this hotel was not of good quality and would not recommend to anyone. The photos and some of the reviews do no justice to this hotel whatsoever. However a positive thing about this hotel is that it's in a good location and close to the centre.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Raytch8
Reviewed July 22, 2013

More of a hostel than a hotel. The bedroom a good size but in need of refurbishment, as is the whole hotel. In our room the curtain pelmet was hanging down and it would only take 5 mins to put it back on the hook. The bathroom was old and the grout dis-coloured. Soap is the only bathroom accessory provided and we had to ask for that. The breakfast was surprisingly okay. This could be a great place to stay with a bit more care and attention to detail by the owners.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
The M, Owner at Victorian House, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

We are presently concentrating on the renovation factor of the rooms therefore 'extras' such as toiletries will be looked at for a later date.

Admittedly some of our toilets are needing renovated and 'modernised' , this is something that will take place once we have renovated all rooms.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed for a couple of days and thankfully no longer. First the good points it is a good central location with easy access to bus and train stations, the breakfast was good as well with a good choice of both hot and cold foods.

The carpet in our room looked if hadn't seen a hoover in several weeks, there where cobwebs in every corner, the bench was covered in coffee & tea stains and the ensuite was not only tiny but looked as if it hadn't been cleaned in a while. The dinning area was not the cleanest either with dust sitting thick on the window sills.

If the people who own it where to put more effort into getting their standards up it would be a great place to stay, but right now I would say look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We couldn't have asked for better help from all of the staff during our stay. We arrived very early for check-in and left our bags at reception and got ideas of what to do and how to get there to spend time until we could check in. The rooms were small (Who cares? You only sleep there!) but clean. Breakfast has a good selection of hot and cold foods. Quick walk to shopping areas and train stations. I'd definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I was on the ground floor at the back. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I'd come here again.

I slept in a single bedroom with a shared bath, room and bath were clean, towels provided.The best thing about the Victorian House is that it's very central yet in a quiet street - the beautiful Glasgow Film Theatre, the School of Art and night clubs are two-five minutes from the hotel, Buchanan Street and Sauchiehall Street ten-fifteen.

The staff was friendly, breakfast is included in the price (served from 7-8:45 - a bit too early for my liking but other people didn't seem to mind). You can choose between a full Scottish breakfast, toast, cereal, croissants - it's very good.

The Wi-Fi is free and weak but worked without interruptions.

Minus points: I visited Glasgow when it was 27 degrees and I couldn't open my window. Fix that! I had a bible in a drawer that I used to keep the window open, thank you Lord for that. Also, the electric kettle had an 18th century flair to it, sometimes I worried it might explode. It didn't and my tea was excellent.

Recommended - 6.5/10

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Sladjana K
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Arrived in Glasgow with no booking and picked the hotel simply because I liked the name. Really glad I did. It's in an excellent location for the city centre and therefore travel around Glasgow. It's clean and excellent value for money. The staff are lovely, nothing is too much trouble and they have great local knowledge. It's much larger than first impressions suggest, but still has the atmosphere of a small family-run hotel with a sense of individuality. Much nicer than one of those large chains. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Alison

Thank you for the review.