“Exceptional service”
Review of Victorian House

Victorian House
Ranked #78 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We arrived without a booking on the night that Bon Jovi was playing in Glasgow. Majid Went out of his way to look after us even drove us back to collect our rental car from the centre of town. We then followed him back to the hotel through the Glasgow one way system.
The rooms and breakfast were very good. This is the kind of Exceptional service that makes a huge difference for visitors.

There are newer reviews for Victorian House

Reviewed June 28, 2013

To put this in context, I booked late for a stay on 26th and 27th June in Glasgow with a major conference and Robbie Williams concert in the city - all hotels were fully booked and I ended up here.
The room was at basement level, next to the laundry room. The room was damp, smelt musty and looked shabby. The bathroom had an over-powering smell of disinfectant [but at least it was clean] and had no little bottles of shampoo [even B&B's have those these days!]. No hair dryer in the room, although it stated there was one. Had to ask at reception if you wanted one because they were always being stolen. Not that I did want one because there was no hot water in the showers; bad enough having a cold shower without washing hair in cold water.
As the room was under the kitchen, I was woken up at 6.00am by the clatter of preparations for breakfast.
I asked to be moved but was told no other rooms available and they were like gold dust.
To add insult to injury, I was charged nearly 3x the normal rate on lastminute.com. You know when you're screwed and so did they.

In hindsight, I would have been better off staying in a nice hotel in Edinburgh and commuting to Glasgow on the train - £21.80 return and about 50 minutes away.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Kevin A
The M, Owner at Victorian House, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Mr Abrook

I am extremely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. Unfortunately, you were allocated into an unrenovated room as your booking was last minute. We allocate all our renovated rooms to early bookings. After that, we do not have an option but to allocate those that are available.

You were offered a renovated room but refused this upon arrival, if you had opted to take it, you would never have occurred the problems. You said at the time that you did not want to be in a room underneath the kitchen. The room you were allocated was underneath another room and not the kitchen, but it was located closer to the kitchen which is why you may have experienced the noise early morning.

Our laundry room was next to your room but instructions are given to staff to NOT start machines until after 10am as in all cases.

Even though our prices were marked up by 100% for an event night, we never intend on misleading anybody. The shower in your room has been double/triple checked and works perfectly fine with hot water. You may have not realised how to control the settings.

Toiletries are in the pipeline and will be introduced, most likely next year after all rooms are renovated. Fixed hair dryers will also be introduced to avoid future loss of these products.

Apologies for your discomfort but as in ALL cases, if clients are not happy, we have no issues in giving refunds as long as the decision is made within an hour of check-in.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed here with daughter as we were in Glasgow for the Bruce Springsteen concert. Brilliant location really close to city centre and Glasgow School of Art. Reception staff were really friendly and a font of knowledge on places to eat, how to get to various places, distances involved etc.
Stairways and hallways were a little tired looking but inevitable with the number of people going in and out and up and down stairs.
Our room was lovely, really light and airy, nice wooden floors, very clean with really comfy beds.
Bathroom was clean with plenty of hot water.
Breakfast was excellent with as much as you wanted to eat and drink.
The on road parking worked well, paying the hotel for permits but I can immagine it could be a problem if no spaces were available.
Nice sitting area outside hotel.
A real gem would not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: Our room was number 24 right at the top of the building, well worth trying to get if you don't m...
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Booked online last minute for a night away after checking all the 'named' hotel prices were at least double this one.

Arrived at 1pm and my room wasn't ready. As I was going out in an hour I needed to get changed. Offered the use of a shared bathroom. After I expressed my disappointment at my room not being ready at the check-in time. I was instead offered a twin room which was ready so took that.

My room was basically in the attic of the building up about 7 flights of stairs (old building so no lift). Glad I just had a small case!

I'm only 5ft 5 but managed to hit my head off the velux window built into the eaves of the room.

Breakfast was good considered it was included in the price.

The hotel is pretty tired, worn carpet on the stairs, everywhere could do with a paint/clean.

I didn't feel particularly safe, no additional lock on the bedroom door and various fire doors didn't close which is kind of the point in them!

Unlikely to stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

This is a cheap and cheerful place which is located close to city centre.
I booked very last minute, on line, and arrived very late. If I'm honest, finding a parking space was a nightmare as the hotel do not have car park. However, there are side streets within 2 mins walking distance away, but these streets are very steep hills so be warned. Good handbrake required. (scratch-card style vouchers for parking are available from hotel at a small extra cost)
I was welcomed by a nice and well informed male receptionist who told me everything I needed and more. My room was in the basement part of hotel (wifi not great) but the room was huge, like a small apartment with TV, tea & coffee facilities and everything I needed for a overnight stay including 4 beds. Breakfast (included in price) in the morning was great. Buffet style and had good quality cooked food, cereals and usual morning goods available. All staff I encountered were very pleasant, friendly and helpful.

A couple of small negative points I need to mention........
There was poor wifi connection in basement area also, the hotel is a old building and decor, rooms and furniture are the same. If want plush, spotless, modern and upmarket, then this hotel isn't for you.
But if you want decent sleep in a decent safe and friendly place close to city centre that is value for money, then this is for you.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Booked this hotel after being let down by another hotel. It is in a good location, very central. The staff at reception were friendly. Room was clean and spacious. Only issue was the shower basin filled up with water very quickly. At almost £100 for one night I thought it was quite expensive for what it was.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We booked 3 rooms for a family wedding. The rooms were clean and spacious. The staff were very helpful. Breakfast was lovely. Excellent rates for central Glasgow. I particularly liked the location near Sauchiehall St, Charing Cross and the M8. Parking was very reasonable for this part of the city. My only complaint was a slightly bad smell which seemed to come from the drains. Other than that, everything was great. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Some rooms had lovely bay windows and are particularly spacious.