“Nice hotel, would return” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre

Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre
Ranked #34 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
“Nice hotel, would return”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Had a very enjoyable 4 night new year stay at this hotel, which is close to the city and riverside museums. The Secc and railway station are not far away. I found the staff here to be a friendly bunch.

I would have rated this hotel 5 star (given the reasonable room rate) however the iMac TV was a bit of a let down, it kept turning itself on and/or off by itself, and the channels would stop working. Friends in other rooms suffered with similar, plus not being able to turn it off or the sound on. I'd have preferred a normal tv I think. The wireless Internet signal was a bit weak too.

That said, I'd have no hesitation in recommending or returning to this hotel. Thanks!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mark T
GlasgowOpsManager, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear Mark T

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay.

I am sorry that your scoring has been impacted by the technical fault we had with our iMacs, this has now been resolved.

Brian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Kilwinning, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

My stay at the hilton Gardens was ok stayed on the 31st december. I payed for a standard double room and they gave me and my partner a twin room as they have no standard rooms left as we got it through laterooms in may as we planned to meet up with friends.My partner went down and said to the receptionist they gave us a disabled room instead was nice but would have prefered to stay in what we payed for.

Dear Kirsty M

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry that the room type was not what you were looking for - I will investigate with the agent you booked with to find out why it was different on our system.

The atmosphere in the hotel was fantastic on Hogmanay with our fireworks over the River Clyde to bring in the New Year being enjoyed by all.

Glasgow, Scotland, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Check in was quick, parking was no problem, and the room was very nice. It was clean, smart and modern with a decent bed and nice furnishings.

My negatives would be ; staying in the hotel and having to pay £5 to park In their own car park is pretty mean. Also the room only had a shower and no bathtub. Also I bought a pint of lager and found £5 a pint to be rather expensive!!

Going back to the room, Instead of a TV they had an Apple Mac type TV. This looked great but had a very awkward remote control and in general was very hard to operate. I just managed but many of my colleagues commented that they just gave up. If my parents were staying they would never be able to work such a device.

Breakfast was included and was delicious with attentive staff on hand.

Overall a good stay in a really nice hotel, in a fantastic location, but a little bit of money grabbing here and there but to be honest, what hotel doesn't? If you are looking for a hotel in glasgow/secc area please consider this one!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Nairn1980

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay.

I must highlight that the majority of beers are priced at £3.95, with some premium options more expensive.

Our iMacs are generally well received by guests, our team are always happy to help anyone who would like to be shown how to operate them.

I am delighted that you enjoyed breakfast and have recommended us for anyone requiring a hotel beside the SECC.

Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for the third time - as always the customer service was excellent. The refurbishment of the restaurant since our last stay has given the area a fresher and more open feel to it. We tried the Christmas set menu which was excellent value - first time I have ever had cranberries in a vegetable lasagna but it worked really well!

Room was the usual high standard, we enjoyed the view over the River Clyde. The breakfast was also of a very high standard; staff couldn't do enough for you.

We highly recommnd this hotel to anyone staying over for a concert of doing business in Glasgow.

We will be back in 2013.

Room Tip: Try and get a River Clyde view if you can, might cost you a bit more but it's worth it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear AlCatraz

Thank you for such a positive review and rating of 5/5.

It is good to learn of your approval of our refurbishment and that we have achieved what we set out to be – less formal whilst still delivering high quality, imaginative, freshly prepared food.

Thank you for recommending us and mentioning our friendly staff.

Dumbarton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

I had oragnised an evening of massages at the Hilton in Glasgow for celebrating a year as a couple with my girlfriend. On arrival to the Garden Inn, there was a car park provided. As it was December, the ground was very slippy and icy. Mabye some salt to ensure a safe transition fro car to reception? On entering the hotel it was very nicely decorated and well presented. We were checked in by the receptionist who I later talk about, all fine so far. On entering the room, it was above average with the iMac for the computer and the TV. The temperature was right and the lighting was good. The bed was also average, being part of the Hilton brand, we'd thought it would of been a slightly bigger bed and better presented. We headed out for our evening activity and returned. We headed back to the room to relax and watch films and chill out. We ordered room service as we were hungry. The menu was abit fancy for us, so we had a chicken burger. I phoned the receptionist and asked how I liked it, I asked for it plain, but if bacon and cheese could be added to it, this didn't seem to be a problem and the receptionist was happy to take the order and place it for us saying there would be a 20 min wait. I was fine with that. The door had knocked and the service waiter handed me the food and was very pleasant. On uncovering the food i had discovered that they added everything i did not want. I called reception and said, sorry to bother you again, but there has been a mistake with the order. The same receptionist's attitude changed totally and was very abrupt and seemed very annoyed that I had a problem. she said she would sort it. 20-25mins later nothing had been done, I then went down to reception with the tray as I was wuite annoyed at this considering there was an additional charge for the 'service'. The receptionist did not seem please to see me and I placed the tray on reception as it was getting heavy. I had asked what was being done and the receptionist had said, "You cannot leave that there, you'll need to take it away to the bar". Speaking to me as if I was beneath her, outraged I had said, "Really?" as there was an office party in full flow. To which she then said, "Fine, just leave it there for all to see on reception" in a way which a mother would talk to her child. Being 25 I do not consider myself a child. I walked away and then 30mins later my food had arrived. It was the same burger that was used and it wasn't fresh. We then went under the covers to sleep and found USED toilet paper at the bottom of the bed under the covers! We were disgusted and it was too late to complain as we were tired. On waking up we complained to the morning receptionist and didn't charge us. All in all, we were very disappointed with the service that a Hilton branded hotel had to offer and won't be returning the that hotel.

Room Tip: Get the best you can!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GlasgowOpsManager, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Dear Fadders,

Thank you reviewing on Tripadvisor.

Your experience is very disappointing reading and I apologise – this service is not reflected in the majority of reviews on this website.

The car park was gritted through-out the cold spell, although care is needed due to the nature of the cobbled car park surface.

Dumfries, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

I have frequented this hotel on numerous occasions over the years and can honestly say I liked it better when it was the City Inn. Attention to detail is not the same, the City Inn management provided that little bit extra in the rooms, i.e. complimentary biscuits, better bathroom toiletries, use of bathrobe. Standards in the restaurant have dropped, it was not the same class of dining I previously experienced. The Hilton Garden Inn is okay but cannot be compared with the City Inn

Room Tip: Request a room away from the main road, ask for a river view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear jackdaniels26

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry you prefer City Inn to our new concept.

As part of an international brand there are room standards that have to be achieved worldwide, biscuits and bathrobes can be delivered when requested and the range of Neutrogena toiletries in the room is greater than what we used to provide.

Our restaurant has the same team as before and all our food is still freshly prepared from the bread to the ice cream.

Methil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed here with my girlfriend as wee were attending the secc which is right next door. Warmly welcomed on our arrival and this set the tone for the remainder of our stay. Great hotel well equipped rooms withi iMacs and free wifi. The location adjacent to the Clyde and squinty bridge is stunning . The staff including the bar staff must be the friendliest I have encountered at any hotel in Glasgow . Bar prices were not to bad either though stock was very short. No Jaegermeister or goldshlagger? That aside nothing but praise for this hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
Dear daftmanonatrain

Thank you for such a positive review.

It is very pleasing that you have highlighted our friendly staff.

We normally stock Jaeger, apologies for running short – demand was higher than expected during the party season!