“Not too pleasant.”
Review of Kelvin Hotel

Kelvin Hotel
Ranked #69 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I was unsure whether to submit a review for this hotel having not actually stayed for more them ten minutes but I hope my comments will be taken in the constructive way they are intended.

We arrived in the afternoon and called in first to check where to park to be told the car park was full and we would have to find somewhere else. This wasn't particularly helpful and I would have expected an hotelier to be able to tell guests where they can park. We eventually got our key and were told our room was in the basement. The room contained old and shabby furniture, was incredibly hot (no air-con) but of greatest concern was that it had not been cleaned properly since the last occupant. The carpet in particular could not have been vacuumed for several days.

The hotel is very cheap and you get what you pay for I guess but a high level of cleanliness is absolutely essential, particularly when for a few pounds more you can get the reliable standards of chains such as Ibis.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PaulJNottingham
There are newer reviews for Kelvin Hotel

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights paying £76 a night for a double room with an ensuite. Price wise this is equivalent to a Premier Inn but the comparison was not favourable to the Kelvin.

Our room was very dreary and basic with a low ceiling and a stagnant aroma. The initial impression on entering the room was not a hotel that was loved and there were some basic housekeeping issues (the light above the sink didn't work, the main light had loads of flies in the cover, the shower tray didn't drain) and whilst the room was clean, some of the fittings were very dated. The images on the website show better rooms but I can only judge the hotel on the room we had.

Breakfast was quite nice and the staff were welcoming (although they were hard to find at times).

For what we paid I thought that the room should've been a bit more spruced up and the basic maintenance issues should have been addressed. Next time it'll be the Premier Inn.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stratt0n
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I stayed here as a frontrunner volunteer for the Chefs de Mission seminars for the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games in January 2014.A basic room that was adequate for my needs as I was out before breakfast most days but did manage breakfast twice a good quality and plenty of it.Fresh fruit and yogurts also available.
Good friendly staff.
But when I enquired about staying here for 12 days at gamestime in July/August I was told the rate was over £400 PER NIGHT.
Pensioner volunteers cannot afford this rate.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank tollycobbold
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is very basic but in a good location for the subway and various bars / amenities in the area.

The double room was simple but clean and also included tea and coffee making facilities. There was an issue with the hot water in the morning, but after complaining and then going back to the room it appeared to have fixed itself thankfully.

I found the staff friendly and attentive. A good breakfast range was available, including cereal and full cooked option. However, avoid the sausages - really poor quality!

All in all, this place does what it says on the tin. It was fine for a bed for the night after an evening out with friends, but I definitely wouldn't book for any longer or if I was staying with my partner.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank MatW_2010
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my husband not really what we were looking for. On the plus side the welcome we received on arrival was friendly on the downside:

- room was very tired with stains on walls & in bathroom
- our room was in the basement
- we were next to a large number of single rooms occupied by a noisy group
- when we first arrived there was a bathroom mat in the bathroom that was wet in the middle as if it had been used & not washed
- there is a time limit on check in which is before you can get into the city from the last flight in from London
- on our first day the hot water ran out halfway through my shower & on the second the water ran so hot just after I got in that I have a visible scald mark on my skin
- the shower tray did not drain so there was a risk of flooding the bathroom
- the room was cleaned but our used tea cups were left & not replaced
- there is no reception desk so it was difficult to reach anyone

If you can get this hotel on a low rate & are looking for a low budget option in the West End then it may work for you. We were looking for somewhere to relax & enjoy our holiday, so it was not for us.

Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank AmberDem
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We have stayed at the Kelvin 3 times and will revisit again as it is incredibly reasonable and the staff are very friendly and helpful. We have stayed on the 1st and 2nd floors and have never been disappointed with the rooms which have all had an ensuite. Good firm beds and a varied selection for breakfasts too.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JOR R
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Very well placed and as long as you are happy with a shared bathroom and a small double for £45 then this is what you want. Breakfast was good and the bed comfy, the room was small but considering it is in the heart of Glasgow it is value for money.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends