“Lovely Setting but a bit over-priced”
Review of Black Sparrow - CLOSED

Black Sparrow
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The decor in this place really is lovely they have done a great job of emphasising all of the best bits of the architecture but unfortunaltely it does not have a particulalrly friendly feel, the waiting staff were efficient but a little aloof. I had a burger which was good, although the chips were average, however, at £10 it seemed pricey to me. After some inspection it appears that for most of the week the burgers are buy one get one free so actually for £10 for two thats pretty good value, unless you are eating alone

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Like the decor - they have a wee beer garden outside when its summer. Drinks are usual town prices.....great selection of burgers - I had the black sparrow burger and can recommend this. Chips are of the chunky variety and presentation is good. The nacho's I can highly recommend and I would make a return visit just for them! It is ultimately a pub and dont think its a place I would bring the family, but for a couple or girls evening / day out its great. Location is obviously a wee bit more out there if you are out and about in town but worth a visit. Been there in the evening for drinks and again, a good chilled out clientele.

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Burgers all round for our group of 8! Well presented and fantastic chips...but the burgers were slightly disappointing! A little bland for something that sounds so good!
Service was good...felt that we had to wait a little while for drinks but food came rather quickly! Great atmosphere in this small pub!
Overall...A little pricier than your average pub grub but good for the occasional lunch/dinner. Get the chips...they were amazing!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Outside seating area out back if you get lucky enough to have one of those days,
Great Burgers plus buy 1 get one free for most of the time, fan of the french burger myself, burgers can be hit or miss though, when its good its really good when its bad its average

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I always find myself in a bit of a conundrum whenever friends or colleagues suggest The Black Sparrow...

I always enjoy the food there - it's great pub food with an awesome selection of burgers on the menu. Most of the staff are friendly and attentive enough but I have yet to see the guy behind the bar crack a smile, welcome or thank us with any sincerity whatsoever... Once, he even brought us the bill immediately after seeing our table being cleared, when we wanted to stay for dessert and coffee, so we felt like we weren't wanted. Anyways, perhaps it's just me, but rightly or wrongly this puts me off becoming a more regular customer, which is a shame, because foodwise there is some good stuff going on here.

2  Thank Martin R