“good for a wee eat out....”
Review of Black Sparrow - CLOSED

Black Sparrow
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“good for a wee eat out....”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Like the decor - they have a wee beer garden outside when its summer. Drinks are usual town prices.....great selection of burgers - I had the black sparrow burger and can recommend this. Chips are of the chunky variety and presentation is good. The nacho's I can highly recommend and I would make a return visit just for them! It is ultimately a pub and dont think its a place I would bring the family, but for a couple or girls evening / day out its great. Location is obviously a wee bit more out there if you are out and about in town but worth a visit. Been there in the evening for drinks and again, a good chilled out clientele.

• Visited September 2013

• Greek first
“Burgers all round!”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Burgers all round for our group of 8! Well presented and fantastic chips...but the burgers were slightly disappointing! A little bland for something that sounds so good!
Service was good...felt that we had to wait a little while for drinks but food came rather quickly! Great atmosphere in this small pub!
Overall...A little pricier than your average pub grub but good for the occasional lunch/dinner. Get the chips...they were amazing!

• Visited September 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great Burgers”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Outside seating area out back if you get lucky enough to have one of those days,
Great Burgers plus buy 1 get one free for most of the time, fan of the french burger myself, burgers can be hit or miss though, when its good its really good when its bad its average

Visited August 2013
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Nice food, but...”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I always find myself in a bit of a conundrum whenever friends or colleagues suggest The Black Sparrow...

I always enjoy the food there - it's great pub food with an awesome selection of burgers on the menu. Most of the staff are friendly and attentive enough but I have yet to see the guy behind the bar crack a smile, welcome or thank us with any sincerity whatsoever... Once, he even brought us the bill immediately after seeing our table being cleared, when we wanted to stay for dessert and coffee, so we felt like we weren't wanted. Anyways, perhaps it's just me, but rightly or wrongly this puts me off becoming a more regular customer, which is a shame, because foodwise there is some good stuff going on here.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Martin R
Renfrew, United Kingdom
“Quirky, Classy, good food and very good value”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Visited on a Sunday with my girlfriend, we had been before for drinks and were looking for somewhere new to try for food.

It's a quality pub, very classy decor, stripped walls with cornicing, old wood and plush leather booths give it something of a gentlemans club feel to it, we were welcomed by pleasant friendly staff standing before an esoteric and exotic range of some very fine spirits and beers (and wines probably, bit I'm no expert here)

We ordered burgers as there was a promotion on, various themes, from french dressing, scottish dressing, spanish dressing, chicken and vegetarian options also.

I opted for the Black Sparrow burger which was burger, sour dough bun, salad and chips with burger garnished with smokey cheddar and carmelised onion chutney (I bottled out of the jalapenos)

The food arrived fairly promptly and was well presented on a wooden plinth, with the chips in a wee metal bucket. Chips seemed to be roasted rather than fried perhaps? Very nice anyway, a bit different. Proper hand cut here, no freezer specials.

The burger was small in diameter, but deep, with plenty of cheese and chutney.

Mayo, tomato sauce and vinegar arrived at the same time without us having to ask.

Great quality beef, lovely cheese, sweet sauce, absolutely delicious.

Bill for two including a tall soft drink each was £15. Pennies more than a big mac or burger king, but a world apart in terms of the food and a universe apart in terms of the ambience. This low price was with the help of a deal, so check it's on (i.e not Fri Night or Sats) for best value.

The only very slight criticism I would make is that there was no check back on the food to see if everything was ok, no issue as it was, more than in fact, but the pub was pretty quiet and it would have taken 10 seconds, this robbed my service rating of 1 star, but the staff were great in every other regard.

If you are in the city centre and fancy decent food with a quality pint somewhere a cut above the chain pubs, but don't want to spend a fortune, you could do a lot worse than seek out the Black Sparrow.

• Visited August 2013