“Great Burgers”

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Scottish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Outside seating area out back if you get lucky enough to have one of those days,
Great Burgers plus buy 1 get one free for most of the time, fan of the french burger myself, burgers can be hit or miss though, when its good its really good when its bad its average

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I always find myself in a bit of a conundrum whenever friends or colleagues suggest The Black Sparrow...

I always enjoy the food there - it's great pub food with an awesome selection of burgers on the menu. Most of the staff are friendly and attentive enough but I have yet to see the guy behind the bar crack a smile, welcome or thank us with any sincerity whatsoever... Once, he even brought us the bill immediately after seeing our table being cleared, when we wanted to stay for dessert and coffee, so we felt like we weren't wanted. Anyways, perhaps it's just me, but rightly or wrongly this puts me off becoming a more regular customer, which is a shame, because foodwise there is some good stuff going on here.

2  Thank Martin R
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Visited on a Sunday with my girlfriend, we had been before for drinks and were looking for somewhere new to try for food.

It's a quality pub, very classy decor, stripped walls with cornicing, old wood and plush leather booths give it something of a gentlemans club feel to it, we were welcomed by pleasant friendly staff standing before an esoteric and exotic range of some very fine spirits and beers (and wines probably, bit I'm no expert here)

We ordered burgers as there was a promotion on, various themes, from french dressing, scottish dressing, spanish dressing, chicken and vegetarian options also.

I opted for the Black Sparrow burger which was burger, sour dough bun, salad and chips with burger garnished with smokey cheddar and carmelised onion chutney (I bottled out of the jalapenos)

The food arrived fairly promptly and was well presented on a wooden plinth, with the chips in a wee metal bucket. Chips seemed to be roasted rather than fried perhaps? Very nice anyway, a bit different. Proper hand cut here, no freezer specials.

The burger was small in diameter, but deep, with plenty of cheese and chutney.

Mayo, tomato sauce and vinegar arrived at the same time without us having to ask.

Great quality beef, lovely cheese, sweet sauce, absolutely delicious.

Bill for two including a tall soft drink each was £15. Pennies more than a big mac or burger king, but a world apart in terms of the food and a universe apart in terms of the ambience. This low price was with the help of a deal, so check it's on (i.e not Fri Night or Sats) for best value.

The only very slight criticism I would make is that there was no check back on the food to see if everything was ok, no issue as it was, more than in fact, but the pub was pretty quiet and it would have taken 10 seconds, this robbed my service rating of 1 star, but the staff were great in every other regard.

If you are in the city centre and fancy decent food with a quality pint somewhere a cut above the chain pubs, but don't want to spend a fortune, you could do a lot worse than seek out the Black Sparrow.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Went into the black sparrow for lunch on Wednesday and I think must have had the best burger in Glasgow.

Excellent taste and quality of meat. Friendly staff and good atmosphere.

I'll be back next week to try other burgers from the extensive and well priced menu

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We visited the Black Sparrow on Tues 2nd July 2013 at about 3pm. It was very quiet but probably due to it not being lunch/dinner time. We ordered starters and a main course & had no complaints. Very nice food!

The young lady who was serving had a friendly & smiley face and was helpful & pleasant.

Decor was right up my street & I loved the choice of music. I would completely recommend for anyone to eat there whilst in Glasgow.