“Remarkable experience”

Ranked #44 of 287 things to do in Glasgow
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Permanent exhibition of Eduard Bersudsky's amazing kinetic sculptures. Hundreds of carved figures and pieces of old scrap perform an incredible choreography to haunting music and synchronised light, telling the funny and tragic stories of the human spirit as it struggles against the relentless circles of life and death. Main show (45 min)- Wed-Sun 3pm, Adults£6, conc £4, children age 4-11 - free. There are additional shows during high tourist season and school hols - please check our website for details. Full show (70 min) - Sun & Thu 7pm.(Adults £8, conc £6) Advance booking by e-mail is essential
Reviewed January 17, 2014

The Sharmanka theatre/ gallery is astounding. In any other city it would be considered one of the foremost tourist attractions and people would be queueing round the corner to get in. Yet when we visited today we were the only people there. There needs to be much more publicity about these amazing kinetic sculptures. Some of them were the centrepiece of Glasgow's MOMA when it first opened to the public and the daily performances at lunchtime were a draw for hundreds of people. It was crazy that the city council removed them and replaced them with uninspiring and instantly forgettable installations. I would urge any visitors to the city to ignore MOMA and head to the Transmission gallery in Trongate where Sharmanka is situated. Transmission also has The Glasgow Print Studio and a fantastic Russian cafe. You won't be disappointed.

3  Thank dpglasgow

Reviewed January 10, 2014

This place is easy to miss but take the trouble to seek it out: you will not see anything like it again. These all-singing, all–dancing kinetic sculptures are full of humour and wit. Superbly lit and complemented by an eclectic range of music and voice-over this is a display that engages all the senses. Suitable for all ages I defy anyone not to leave with a smile on their face.

1  Thank Geoff W
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Sought this place out with a bit of googling to keep my folks amused on a visit. Was a wonderful experience!

It's kinda hidden within Merchant City and I hadn't heard of it previously but have been spreading the word since. Such an amazing back story for the artists involved and the pieces are absolutely mesmerising. When we went there were some precocious children *critiquing* the sculptures but even they shut up in awe when the show began.

The whole experience was beautiful and thought provoking and comical and astoundingly presented. Plus it was cheap! Which was exciting for us after a month of entertaining. I also found that the history associated with each piece was educational and had me looking into the subject matter in my own time.

I could not recommend this enough for everyone.

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

This is the most amazing place I have ben to in the last 2 years. I was in Glasgow on business and just dropped in on spec, I will definately go again when I am next in the area and encourage everyone to go there.

The event is kinetic art with the mix of humour, a pinch of the dark side and first class sound and light. A must see event.

I am humbled to have just found this, if it were in London where I normally work I would be dropping in regularly.

Go, enjoy.

Mark

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I would give this five stars, if it weren't for the fact that it is quite an expensive attraction. It is my earnest hope that when Scotland gains independence and benefits from its oil revenue that Glasgow district council will buy the Sharmanka Gallery and allow everyone free admission. I would love to go to this gallery every week. This gallery with its performance of kinetic sculptures and awesome son et lumiere accompaniment is my favourite gallery in Glasgow by a long way. It is brilliantly moody, enthralling and captivating. If you go to see only one thing in Glasgow, go here!