“Another Designer Shed”

The Riverside Museum of Transport and Travel
Ranked #9 of 284 things to do in Glasgow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Riverside Museum is Glasgow's award-winning transport museum. With over 3,000 objects on display there's everything from skateboards to locomotives, paintings to prams and cars to a Stormtrooper. Get hands on with our interactive displays. Walk through Glasgow streets and visit the shops, bar and subway. Climb aboard a train, tram or bus and get a real feel for old public transport. Discover Glasgow's rich shipbuilding history, explore the car and motorbike walls and help put out a fire with our interactive fire engine. There are over 90 large touch screens panels full of images, memories and films that tell the fascinating stories behind the objects. There really is something for all ages to enjoy at the Riverside Museum.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

From where do some architects get their direction? The last thing grey Glasgow needed was another dull, grey, corrugated metal, industrial building.

Otherwise, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our 3 hours visit to the museum and the tall ship in the river. The number 3 "Coronation" tramcar was especially memorable as I used to ride it to school in the City.

What fascinates me about this place is the wide variety of opinions from Tripadvisor members!

Write a ReviewReviews (8,409)
All reviews
in 79 reviews
"few hours"
in 198 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This museum has recently re-located to the riverside and is a short walk from subway and bus stops. The exhibits are wide ranging, covering cars, buses, trains, tram, bicycles and ships. There is also a street of historic shops. The information is easily accessible - audio visual as well as written. There is also a tall ship moored alongside. One nice surprise was that all the museums in Glasgow are free

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The old location was great but this is even better. Much to see. Leave a few hours and don't forget the ship just outside. Donations help this place "stay afloat"

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We spent about 4 hours here and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The cafe served excellent coffee and scones. We would go back.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I went with my family members from america and they were mesmerised by all the high tech interactive parts of the museum. And I found them amazing! But what I did have a problem with was the museum itself is wonderful but it doesnt have a patch on the old museum where you could walk around all the cars and look inside them and there was no atmosphere unlike the old one. And because there was so many people it felt very cramped and found myself just rushing through the place. I also found the staff in the cafe very ungrateful to have a job, the service was very poor people who had came in after us had there orders taken and food well before us and it was very hard to catch there attention as they were all busy doing something else, I also found the staff in the ice cream van needed to learn a bit more customer service skills like serving customers with a smile.

Overall I enjoyed it not as much as I enjoyed the old transport museum unfortunately.

1  Thank sjh999