“Very convenient hotel- ideal for a city break.”

Premier Inn Glasgow City Centre (Charing Cross) Hotel
Ranked #53 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed July 4, 2014

The hotel is easy to get to from Glasgow airport ( the bus 747 from stand 6 stops a 3 min walk from hotel) and is within easy walking distance of many cafés, restaurants and major attractions. The city centre is an easy 10 mins walk away. So for location I would definitely stay here again.
The hotel itself is quite basic and a little dated but has everything you would need for a short city break, the rooms are clean and there is a good bar/restaurant area.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Shonagh L, Manager at Premier Inn Glasgow City Centre (Charing Cross) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Thank you for your review of Premier Inn Glasgow Charing cross.

I’m really pleased you enjoyed your stay and found it very convenient. Thank you for your comments about it being clean but a little basic and dated. We appreciate all your feedback, as it allows us to make improvements so all our Guests get a great night, every time they come to stay.

Thanks you once again for your comments and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Rooms are small. With 2 children and their respective beds, there's barely enough room to move. Coupled with the lack of storage space (no wardrobe as such - just an open shelf with hangers, nowhere to put bags, a radiator and bin taking up part of this space) you'll be very limited in the use of the room. Strictly sleeping only, which isn't great when the children are in bed by 20:00, as you'll find yourself unable to do anything. Not even reading, as the lights are terrible, without even the ability to control bedside lights independently. The main lights barely illuminate the room.

Speaking of lights, the bathroom lights are equally bad. The main light is directly behind you when looking in the mirror, so it has the dubious distinction of both blinding you and leaving you in the dark. Good luck if you want to put make up on. Your best bet is to try using only the light on the mirror - that way you'll be able to enjoy life as in the 17th century, as if by the light of a candle.

If you get a room right next to the door to the lift/stairs, you'll want to check that the door closes silently. Ours didn't. Cue a whole lot of banging all night, and not the sort I wanted.

The hotel isn't ideally situated for transport either. On paper it looks great - literally seconds away from Charing Cross station. In practice this is pointless if you want to explore Glasgow. You'll need to walk 10 or 15 minutes to get the subway instead - far from ideal with children. We ended up spending far more time in taxis than we'd have liked.

Breakfast wasn't great. Not sure if Premier Inn have changed their breakfasts and now provide less fruit selection, no hot chocolate/chocolate milk options, and what appears to be synthetic scrambled eggs instead of the real thing, or whether this is all specific to this hotel. Staff at breakfast were generally surly - if they got as little sleep as we did I don't blame them.

Also not sure whether this is the case with all Premier Inn's, but the lack of a room safe is a right pain in the... neck. Walking around with all your valuables in a bag is not much fun, and it's hard to gauge whether they'd be better off unattended in a hotel room or lugged around town all day.

In summary, definite no with children. Probable no if you're staying longer than one night. If you're a reclusive monk you'll probably think this is luxury.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your review.

I was sorry to hear you felt the family room was small, with a limited amount of storage space. The shape of this particular Premier Inn, makes some rooms smaller than others and I’m sorry this had an impact on your stay.

Thank you for your feedback on the lights, I will look in to the wattage we are currently using in the rooms to see if we can improve the lighting. I was sorry to hear the door was banging loudly during your stay, should you experience any problems our teams are on hand 24 hours to help and we can get things like this resolved for you. Our maintenance team are checking all the corridor doors to rectify this problem.

Thank you for your comments regarding breakfast. Premier Inn do review and update the breakfast offering, based on our Guests feedback, regularly however we have not made any changes with regards to the items you refer to. Hot Chocolate or Chocolate Milk is not currently part of our breakfast, however if you wish Hot Chocolate, it’s available to purchase at our Bar. We do make fresh scrambled eggs, I’m sorry they were not up to our usual standards and I was sorry to hear you felt the team were surly at Breakfast, rest assured I will look in to your comments.

Thank you for your feedback regarding an in room safe, its not something we currently provide at Premier Inn, however should you wish to leave valuables we can store them in our safe.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and we do hope you will stay with us again, at Premier Inn, in the future.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

In recent times we have come across some excellent Premier Inns, this was not one of them.

Will list some things that irritated us... On one side of the bed no cupboard, therefore nowhere to put a clock, book etc, missing shelf in bathroom, could see where it had been... nowhere to put your toiletries, bathroom floor very dirty and stained, this could have easily been rectified with a ten minute proper clean, the bin in bathroom not emptied, teaspoons left dirty, there was a general lack of cleaning and maintenance about the whole room. However, the worst thing ... we arrived back and I was desperate to go to the loo, and there in the loo was a big poo looking at me!! I immediately blamed it on my husband, who assured me he hadn't 'been', nor had I. So, it was either the cleaner or leftover of a previous occupant and had re-surfaced...

We paid £85 a night, plus £8.75 pp for breakfast, this makes it £102.50 a night. Is this supposed to be a budget hotel? They should stop paying all that money for Lenny Henry ads and clean up their act. We have now decided to go back to Travelodge, as the quality of the Premier Inn is about the same as them but their prices are not!

Room Tip: We were on the ninth floor and could not hear any traffic noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Shonagh L, Manager at Premier Inn Glasgow City Centre (Charing Cross) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us.
At Premier Inn we really do strive to deliver clean and comfortable rooms to all our guests and give them everything they need for a great night's sleep. I sincerely apologise that on this case we have not achieved this. Can I please ask that you get in contact with your reservation details and date you stayed and I will look in to this further.

Apologies once again and I look forward to helping to resolve this for you.

Kind regards,
Shonagh Love
operationsmanager.glasgowcharingcross@whitbread.com

Reviewed June 30, 2014

My hubby and I stayed at this hotel for the weekend....first night I got about 3 hours sleep due to the notice of traffic! Next day I told the receptionist that I thought my window didn't close properly...I was promptly told it did!!
Straight to Boots purchase earplugs for the Sat night!!
The curtain rail fell down twice when I shut the curtains!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Irene S

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.
I was sorry to hear you were disturbed by the noise of the traffic, if you contact us prior to your arrival we can try and allocate your room towards the back of the Hotel, which is a bit quieter.
I was sorry to read about the response you got from our team on Reception, with regards to your window. I will look in to these comments to ensure all our Guests receive a warm and friendly response, each time the encounter a member of our team.

Thanks once again for you review and we do hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

We're big fans of Premier Inn and seen huge improvements in recent times. Occasionally something lets the overall impression down and unfortunately this was it.
Staff really friendly and gave us a huge room on quiet side of the building. Spotlessly clean but had thin stud walls so you could hear every conversation next door. Not Premiers fault that we had inconsiderate neighbours who talked and had TV on til late but you do come to expect reasonable soundproofing.
We did tell reception on check out and I'm pretty sure it wasn't the first time it had been mentioned.
If George Square is same price, I would stay there.

• Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for your review. Thank you for your comments about our team being really friendly and its great to hear you got a big room on the quieter side of the building. I was really sorry to read your comments regarding your noisy neighbours, our teams walk round our corridors at intervals throughout your stay but I’m sorry we did not pick up on the noise.

Thank you once again for taking the time to give us your feedback and we do hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Hotel is by motorway in central Glasgow, and up in my 10th floor room the external noise was dreadful. The windows were not sealed properly and so traffic could be heard all the way through the night. Furthermore, internal room noise was bad as the pipes and/or heating made quite a lot of sound. Also neighbouring guests were loud and did not seem to be quietened by staff. I would have rang reception had I not just blocked my ears and willed myself to sleep.

Staff friendliness was mixed (poor at reception, good at breakfast), and otherwise all other services were satisfactory.

Overall a standard/poor hotel, at which I had a terrible night's stay. But budget price for central location and relatively good wifi & other facilities bring up my rating by a star. Still, could not recommend at all to someone with an important next day which requires good sleep.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. I was really sorry to read your comments on your noisy nights sleep. The hotel is situated beside a particularly busy section of the motorway, so can be quite noisy, however if you contact us at site, we can try to allocate you a room towards the back of the hotel to minimise the noise of the traffic. Our team are on throughout the day and night to help with anything you need and can help with problems such as noise, they can be contact on Reception.
I was sorry to hear you had a mixed experience with our Team, I will look in to your comments to ensure the experience is a consistent and friendly one every time.

Thank you once again for your comments and I do hope we see you again in the future.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Arriving late in the evening I found the check in process very straight forward and the bar was perfectly adequate for a night cap. All of the staff were helpful and the hotel certainly delivered a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your recent review. I’m glad to hear your check in was straight forward and you enjoyed a night cap in the bar. Its great that you felt all the team were friendly and I m delighted that you had a good nights sleep.

Thanks again for your review and we hope to see you again soon.