“Wee Gem”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #44 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I stayed here with my son as we where attending the "twang " concert at the ABC. On arrival we were greated by a staff member "Daniel"very helpful and friendly, something which started our stay perfectly. The twin room we had we found VERY clean, spotless in fact with a good TV and a kettle with tons of coffee ,tea and fresh milk..................and BISCUITS !!!! When have you had a hotel with biscuits never mind coffee making facilities nice touch. The pillows in the room were super and not the deflated type you come to expect at other hotels. I will say that I was woken in the morning with usual drainage noise from rooms above having morning showers but not a show stopper as I am a light sleeper. Well done Ambassador I will be back, sorry bout the key problem Daniel, thank you for your patience. Brilliant Hotel thank you.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed January 6, 2014

This place was nice enough. We booked for three single beds, and were sent to the Embassy Apartments next door. The room was pretty large, it had room for a 3 single beds, a set of drawers, coffee table and two large chairs, and night-tables. Nice to be able to spread your stuff our in a hotel room for once. Also had a little fridge.

The beds were firm and pretty comfortable, had a good night's sleep. Despite being so close to the street, the room was pretty quiet (far enough from the bars not to hear any but the loudest of revelers).

The bathroom was so-so, no bath, just a shower. The water did get hot enough for a shower and lasted a long time (read some reviews that said this was an issue).

Only real issue with the place is that it was COLD. There were three mini space heaters in there, and they didn't do much. What really helped was leaving the curtains completely closed the whole time we were there, made the room a lot warmer (but darker). Might be better of you came in spring or summer.

The location is nice, about a 10 minute walk to Byres Rd, and a 15 minute walk to the Hillhead tube station and a 15-20 minute walk to Glasgow University.

I would stay here again when visiting the West End in the spring or summer, might rethink staying here in winter (or pack very warm sweaters!).

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2013

The hotel is in a good location as it was 5-7 minutes walk to Glasgow university , I was there to attend my Graduation ceremony.The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful and provided me Iron and converter for iPhone charging. The room was small but I need to spend 2 nights so it served the need ,the washroom needs to be updated and cleaned more as I can see some hairs on floor.This hotel was very inexpensive and it served the purpose

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 24, 2013

The hotel is in a good location in a quiet leafy area of Glasgow about 15 minutes walk from Hillhead subway station. We had booked into the hotel but maybe because we requested a ground floor room we were given one of the apartments (number 3) in the Embassy next door. As it was self catering it was quite big, well appointed with fridge, microwave and cooker, and the bed was comfortable. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean but had a slight smell of cigarette smoke even though it was 'non-smoking'. The cooked breakfast was very good and set us up well for the day. It was possible to park outside the hotel as Kelvin Grove is blocked off just past the hotel, but there's also a private carpark down a narrow bumpy lane behind the hotel.

Room Tip: Apartment 1 at the Embassy seems to be the biggest.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MartinB923
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed here on my own and felt very safe! the room was small but clean and had everything i needed plus more! (a fridge) The receptionist was good and got the keys to my room with no hassle or fuss, the night porter was very helpful as he helped me get a taxi to where i needed to be! was only £45.00 for the night stay and close to the City Centre! would stay here again and have recommended it to friends!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Chezza G
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel is in a lovely leafy area of Glasgow. Very pleasant gentleman checked us in. The rooms were clean and had everything you would need. This hotel was very inexpensive! Enjoyed the lovely cooked breakfast! We stayed one night, highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank loveUllapool
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I'd read the reviews before we stayed and there was much reference to room 17 being not so good. I'd forgotten to say we didn't want that room so when we arrived I was horrified to find that it was the last room left. What monsters lurked in that room? I mentioned it to the lady and she scoffed at those reviews.
Generally she was right. It's an OK room, the only negative being the wall outside the window so there is little view. The mattress (mentioned by others) had been replaced with a good one. The room was clean, the shower small but good enough once you figured it out. The cleaning staff were friendly. Most importantly I'm a poor sleeper and it's a quiet room (once you turn off the fridge).
The Ambassador itself is nice enough, a bit aged perhaps but we like old places as long as they aren't too noisy or firetraps. We didn't eat breakfast there so no comment but it looked good through the windows as we walked past.
We'd probably stay there again if we had a reason to be in West End, but would inquire if any of the front rooms (more expensive I think) were available, as they would have views across to the greenery across the road.

Room Tip: Consider a front room for the extra cost. If you get room 17 don't worry it's OK.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple