“disgusting”
Review of McLays Guest House

McLays Guest House
Ranked #76 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed June 30, 2010

I could not believe that the room allocated would be considered as a letting room..it was tiny,no decor at all,a morror not attached to the wall,the window was looking onto a back building sort of area ..which then made the window ledge full of thick dust...the bathroom was not any better.it really needs a good overhaul....

Breakfast was very nice and freshly made,,but i think it depends which dining room you eat in on how much you get on your plate...certainly would not go back again,,shockingly in need of updating...

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for McLays Guest House

Reviewed May 25, 2010

Not sure why there are such bad reviews on here, I found this guest house delightful! A double room with en suite and breakfast was £32 which was an absolute steal. The location is perfect, and about a 10 minute stroll from the shopping area and about 10 minutes to Kelvingrove Park.

The room was very clean and comfortable and the service was great, particularly the one lady that checked us out on Monday.

Sure it's not a five star hotel (as the price reflects!) but I would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for a little bit of luxury on a low budget.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PennyW26
Reviewed May 4, 2010

I stayed in a twin room in this guest house with no en suite. It was cheap, but I would have expected better regardless of the price and it seemed more like a hostel.

I walked into my room and was pretty appalled by the cleanliness- there were sweat/grease stains on the walls above the headboards, the cups still had tea in them, the plastic spoons also had tea in them. In spite of this the bed linen was clean, but the decor and stale smell in the room really put me off. The noise was not great either- lots of creaking and banging doors and I could also hear basically everything the people in the room across the hall from me were up to!

The toilets provided for non en suite rooms were fine, nothing special. It was not the fault of McLays staff but whoever had used the bathroom before me had left all their wet towels in there with products spilt everywhere. Still, it was fine for the one night I was there for.

The location of the guest house was good as it was within walking distance of the town centre and good pubs and clubs. Another plus was that the rooms were warm.

I have to say that my friends were in another room and it was decorated much better and had a nice en suite. I think this guest house would be suited to young travellers on a budget who just needed a bed for the night.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 16, 2010

This was our 2nd stay, this time we had 2 rooms, both were very large with full bath ensuite, rooms were very clean, new towels every day, tea, coffee and kettle in room.
Its a short walk into town.
Breakfast is delicious, cold cereals, full Scottish breakfast, toast, all served promptly, found staff polite and answered any questions, will call cabs for you,.
For price great value,

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank emacconnell1
Reviewed April 4, 2010

I think those who have left negative reviews have not stayed at many guest houses in the UK. This guest house is perfectly fine and ticks the basic needs of anyone for a short stay in Glasgow: a bed, a shower, and close to the city centre. Nothing was dirty in the room and me and my friends stayed in a family room after going out for a late night in the city. Breakfast could be later though as it is served between 7 and 9, and check out isn't until 11. Other than that no complaints and I would stay again for my next visit to Glasgow.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank sc0ttish_traveller99
Reviewed March 23, 2010

My partner and I have just returned from a short trip to Glasgow where we stayed at McLays. Having read the bad comments only after we had booked we went fearing the worst.
When we arrived the man on reception was very friendly and as we were a bit early we left our luggage in the breakfast room - this was very neat and clean. The lift is small but it does work.
To be honest ,yes, the place does need a bit of redecoration as it is a bit jaded but nothing you could complain about given the price you are paying.
The room we were allocated was a good size and ensuite. The room was certainly not cold as in fact we had to turn down the central heating (and this was Glasgow on a cold March evening). The room was well maintained and towels and coffee/tea supplies replaced EVERY day. The breakfast in the morning was average - standard bacon and eggs, beans etc but well within the usual guest house standard and certainly nothing to complain about. The three dining rooms were very busy.
All in all if you are looking for a cheap stay not too far from the centre and are not looking for luxury you should not be put off by the negative reviewers. Would certainly go back.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AstorB
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Dirty, Smelly and above all this the rudest, most unhelpful members of staff I have ever met!
Please don't stay at this place.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends