“Does the Job”
Review of McLays Guest House

McLays Guest House
Ranked #76 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed November 7, 2006

I thought McLay's was fine- the front desk staff was friendly and helpful. My room was on the supposedly better right (east) side of the building and it was fine for a 25 pound room- maybe 9 feet by 9 feet, shared bathroom, ability to lock doors from outside and inside, 10-channel TV, closet, clean. Bathroom was fine and clean though noisy from my room when others used it.

By the looks of the guestbook, most of the crowd was European, and the crowd in the dining hall for breakfast was entirely female and young the day I was there (but it looked like different parties to me).

Location is good- down the street from Glasgow School of Art with the street up a hill maybe 20-25 feet and parallel one block away from Sauchiehall Street, a main bar area of downtown Glasgow. The hotel street itself is very quiet with other bed/breakfast like hotels lining the street.

I went with apprehension given past reviews, but I had no problems with it.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo
6  Thank crescent22
There are newer reviews for McLays Guest House

Reviewed September 29, 2006

My friends and I stayed ay Maclays Guest house on the 23rd of September. When we arrived everything looked fine. However because there were 9 of us we had booked 2 rooms, with 5 beds in each. We presumed that these rooms would be together, they weren't, they were on different floors. I though the decor was ok, although we did find damp in some areas of the room and there was also a strange smell. We found a beer can and also some prescribed tablets, so the cleaners didn't do a very good job! After returning from a night out with my friends we spotted 2 wasps flying around the light, My biggest fear is wasps, I can't stand them. So my friend went down and asked at reception if they had any spray. But they said they didn't. So we sat and put up with the 2 wasps. Then half an hour later there were about a dozen wasps flying around the light. It was SO scary, I was actually screaming! I got stung about 5 times with the wasps. We had breakfast in the morning and that was actually ok. When we were leaving we said to the man at reception but he said "it's not my problem." Then when we asked for some of our money back he said that, when you're on holiday you don't get your money back if you see a cockroach. Thats true but I'm sure you would if you seen a whole family of them scurrying about your room!!!! He was extremely unhelpful. I've never met such a vile and ignorant man in my life!!! What would have happened if I were allergic to wasps?! But I can bet you that if my friends and I were about 10 years older (we are 18-21) we would have been taken seriously. But we are going to phone the manager, but I'm sure he will not be much use either! So if you don't mind staying somewhere that's infested with wasps and where the staff are rude and unhelpful then stay at Maclays Guest House. But next time my friends and I go to Glasgow we certainly won't!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
6  Thank Sherelle
Reviewed September 24, 2006

We had a very good sized room with two beds. The bathroom was nice with a deep tub. However, explanations to foreigners (as I was) for using the water heater would be helpful.

The staff was nice.

They need a covering over the outside patio. Also, if I owned the hotel I would insist that the city cleanup the buildings across the street. There is a graffitti all down the street, which is ridiculous in a tourist area. If Glasgow wants to flourish, they need to do so without the graffitti.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank amymac14843
Reviewed September 24, 2006

My friends and I returned yesterday from a one night stay in Mclays Guest House. After reading some of the terrible reviews I expected worse but when we arrived i thought this is actually going to be alright. We did however book 2 rooms with 5 beds in each as there was 9 of us and the rooms were both on different floors. With no indication of this on the booking form we just assumed the rooms would be together. we had a look about and we found an empty can of beer and someone had left prescribed tablets so they hadn't made much of an effort to clean our room. Once we had returned from the club which was the highlight of our stay we found out we were also staying with about 12 wasps flying around the light shade!! We went down to reception to ask for fly spray and they didn't have any! They said it was not their problem. By the morning there was like 8 wasps lying dead on the floor and my friend who is terrified of wasps got stung! We complained and the not so friendly guy at reception said well when you go on holiday you get cochraches running around in your appartment. But no way would you get 12 if so then you would be relocated or given a refund. He didn't care he just acted as though it was normal we are going to get in touch with the manager. I hope the room was cleaned properly this time as there was like 8 dead wasps to get rid of and who knows how many flying around. So if you stay here don't sleep in room number 57 number 50 was fine though and beware of the wasps!!!!

Stayed: September 2006
8  Thank 2006donna
Reviewed September 8, 2006

If you are the type to write bad reviews based on the carpets, then go somewhere else, but this place is a wonderful deal with a fabulous breakfast to set you up for the rest of the day.
The only reason that the carpet is apparently dirty is that it is a real carpet rather than the usual disguise the dirt variety you find in most hotels. Decoration is good and original, it is central and quiet, and extremely good value.

• Stayed: September 2006
3  Thank bearshead
Reviewed August 26, 2006

We did appreciate the room was cheap but main things that hit you in the face were bare wires by T.V. plug,a light out,stains on carpet,melamine furniture rather sad(drawer/door didn't close well),
decor rather depressing i.e.hardboard varnished and half way up wall in bedroom, wallpaper coming away,polystyrene cornice painted bright pink. Layer of dust on wall behind bedside cabinet and along skirting board. In toilet initially looked OK but floor tile cracked and mirrors and light above basin had seen better days.
In the corridor doors could do with a lick of paint as they looked grotty. A patterned carpet and some neutral(light) paintwork throughout the property would perhaps make it easier to maintain.
The electrics were dealt with promptly and efficiently but nobody cleaned behind the bedside cabinet or attempted to clean carpet.
We did ask for somthing to clean it.
The outside of the hotel has an area you can sit in or eat an carry outs or apparently you can use the lounge. Stairs are a bit steep for anyone elderly but if they can manage up OK they will find very pleasant staff who work in a rather elderly environment which appears to be maintained in a very DIY fashion and will enjoy a Scottish breakfast.
The hotel is just up from Sauciehall Street so very central, there is a cinema nearby and its cafe does lovely soup,the Kurdish take away does a lovely veg pizza and the hotel has a drink and choc machines.
So although it seems initially scary McLays is well sited and could be a super spot with a bit of dusting and professional decorating etc. Other places charge £52 for a room a night and they still manage to meet an acceptable standard for their guests. Come on management make people remember Glasgow for the good things and put fire escape diagrams(not all tourists speak English) and site of fire equipment in all rooms.
Any info would be better typed up and laminated not written beside window or light switches in felt tip pen.

Stayed: August 2006
2  Thank K.D.Ttree
Reviewed July 5, 2006

I stayed at McLays for one night in July of 2005. The room was very cheap (with breakfast) and in a quiet neighborhood off the main street of Glasgow. I stayed in a single room. The carpet was dirty and the bathroom was uncomfortable to use.

I don't think the staff is negligent in its cleaning. It's just that the hotel is really old and needs to be renovated.

• Stayed: July 2005