“Fresh as a daisy”
Review of McLays Guest House

McLays Guest House
Ranked #81 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Short and sweet summary .

The staff are brilliant , very friendly and helpful al though the woman at the front desk likes me to walk ( personal story )

Room : clean and very basic , there is a tv with freeview . Coffee making facility's were standard .

Building: very dated and old but you really shouldn't let it bother because your paying for somewhere just to crash. Ou have tv lounge communal rooms scattered around the building . Seemed clean but again very dated carpet and wAlls .

Breakfast : cooked breakfast was ok and the waitress was pleasant .

Overall : I would come back here again and for £65 it's not bad for pricing but bare in mind that it's not a flashy establishment .

Adam

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed a weekend here in July 2012. I found my room to be very clean both nights, and also the communal bathroom was kept clean too. The room was close enough to the hall area in order for me to get wireless no problem. I suppose I was lucky in that my corridor was very quiet, and so the bathroom wasn't being used all the time. However, as I have my shower before bed, I didn't need to worry about getting in in the morning.

Contrary to what I read by one former guest, the guesthouse is at the far west end of the city centre, so it takes about 10-15 minutes to walk to George Square, for example. And if you walk along Sauchiehall Street you will pass many different bars, restaurants, pubs and cafes, takeaways, and all sorts of shops on the way there. Certainly no need for a bus, unless you are very unfit or have mobility problems - (or just can't be bothered walking!)

The breakfast was decent enough for me. Bacon, egg, toast, tea/coffee, cereal, fruit juice with prompt and courteous service.

All in all, the guesthouse is not the lap of luxury, the decor is past its best but because of the cleanliness and the courteous staff, reasonable breakfast, proximity to the city centre, and wireless access, and quiet corridor and the good bed. I enjoyed my stay!

Room Tip: Try to get a room above the hall if you want wireless in your room!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed a week here! I can't believe anyone would complain about this place. It's super cheap, great location and you get a big, clean room (daily) AND hot breakfast. plus- people are just as friendly as can be! We love Anne and think she's the heart and soul of Glasgow!
I seriously don't understand the comments of some of the other people here...

Room Tip: room 87 was fab!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I've been in this hotel only for one night,and it was more the enough.
What is good :
near the city centre. (you STILL NEED to get a bus)
wifi in the hall is working
breakfast was avarage
they give you a roof
price is average

what is not good :
rooms are dirty.
the sheets were not changed after the previous guest
keetle full of moldy water
room very small
bathroom dirty.
Had to wait for 40 minutes in the morning to go to the bathroom !
It's a shared bathroom between 8 rooms. it's crazy !
Television small, old, noisy and with big blue edges.
only 2 power sockets in the room.
room at second floor without lifts

I WOULDN'T EVER STAY AGAIN.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Fede249
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My partner and myself have just returned from this guest house and cant recomend it enough, The room was very large, very clean and quiet, The breakfast was good but the staff were SO helpfull and friendly, A big thank you to Lesley and Anne for all your help.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MargaretBrian
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I have read differing reviews on other websites of McLays Guest House. I came up to Glasgow with my 13 year old son for our first ever trip to Scotland for the Olympic Football. We stayed for two nights in a twin room en suite. The hotel was easy to find and only about 10/15 minutes stroll to the city centre. Convenient to get to the main bus station and nearest subway. The staff were very friendly and helpful, we left our bags there on arrival until we could check in and went back into town. The room we had was very clean as was the bathroom, shower & toilet. Colour TV worked perfectly. The room was cleaned after the first night. Traditional breakfast was great and set us up for the morning, although there were cereals, yogurts available. I thought it was great value for money (£112 for two people for two night in a twin room en suite). Not a place perhaps to bring the wife for a romantic weekend but my son and I enjoyed it and if I ever visit Glasgow again I would stay here. I can only recommend based on what I experienced (I don't know what the other rooms are like).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed in a single room for four nights - bed was comfortable, room was clean and bright, and the nearby bathroom (also clean) was usually vacant. The staff were helpful and extremely nice, particularly the woman at the front desk. Wi-fi works only in the dining room, but it's better than nothing! The guest house is located very near to pubs, clubs, and dining, and the city center is a nice ten-minute walk away. Overall I'd highly recommend McLay's to any first-time or seasoned visitor to Glasgow, both for the quality of the facilities and for the price.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo