“Very good hotel!”

Ranked #62 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Perth, Australia
“Very good hotel!”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

I had just been spending 6 months travelling around hostels so when I came to Glasgow and saw that the only hostels available weren't that flash I decided to spend a little bit more and get a nice hotel.

The Sandyford was the perfect place to stay for my time in Glasgow. It wasn't too expensive and the room was clean and comfortable and the WI-FI works well throughout the building. The only odd thing about the room was the placement of the TV, it is in a well peculiar position - I'm not sure whose idea was it to place it there. You'll see what I mean when you stay here.

The location is ideal (2 minute walk from the Kelvingrove Museum) and a 15 - 20 minute walk to the city centre.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Steve M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Korean first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2014

The only thing I didn't like about this hotel was the stairs. They were curved, and the hand-rail was on the narrow side. However, they carried my bag up for me, and they did offer me a room on the same floor as the breakfast-room.

My room was nice - sort of Art Nouveau, with many black squares and a sweet little archway for the coffee. The shower-room was plain and modern - suited me.

There was even a computer in Reception which guests could use.

The staff were quite helpful when asked questions.

I think the cost was quite a lot for this type of hotel.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Stayed at this hotel out of desperation recently. Although the price was only £45 for a double room at the last minute and the room was clean and comfortable it was fairly basic. The duvet was quite light - thank goodness, it was the summer time or it would have been freezing with no extra blankets in the cupboard - it is Glasgow after all. There was a wet towel in the bathroom and the bathroom was a little grubby although thankfully the shower was hot. Also no hair dryer in the room but tea/coffee making facilities were welcome. The management in the hotel weren't overly friendly when I arrived albeit it was late enough in the evening when I landed on the doorstep looking a bit disheveled.

The breakfast was only average even though it was hot food and a selection of canned fruit. Why it is impossible for b&bs and hotels to have fresh fruit? Sorry you could take a small red apple if you wanted it. It is such as simple thing to do to buy apples, organes, kiwis etc cut them up and put them in a bowl. Also no natural yogurt and the hot breakfast was obviously the cheapest pudding, rashers, sausages etc they could get from a bargain basement supermarket - yuck! I really hate getting crap food when it is so easy to make a decent English breakfast.

When I was checking out I also asked the receptionist could I leave my bag for an hour or so while I popped into town. I'm surprised she actually looked up from playing with her iPhone to answer me but I did get a nod of a head. No attempt to get up and take my bag and put it somewhere secure for me - I don't know if there even was such as facility because when I arrived back it was sitting in reception where I'd left it for anyone to walk away with!!

Crikey it doesn't take a lot to run a b&b so not to get these things right really bugs me especially when I pay £45 for the privilege. Won't be back in a hurry.

Dhahran
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Stayed at this west end hotel for commonwealth games. Great location, very helpful staff even to ordering flowers for me via husband request for our anniversary!! Hearty breakfast , good local knowledge of the staff. Rooms clean and comfortable. Close to nice bars & restaurants.

2 Thank Tracy701
Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

It was my fiancees decision to stay here as we always decide on the day where and what to see/do! It finally got us to relax and made us feel comfortable!!! The TV was a bit weird as it was on the side wall for everyone to see it but nobody would be comfortable to watch! We wouldn't bother as we didn't go there to watch TV... The Breakfast was standard but good for value! A lovely place with nice staff!!! Would come back!!!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2014

We stayed here for the Commonwealth games as our daughter was competing.Excellent value for money hotel where the welcome was extremely warm. The room we had was on the top floor and was an attic room and as the weather was extremely warm we were a little uncomfortable. We were then moved to a room on the third floor which was much cooler and seemed to be no trouble at all for the staff. Breakfast was good and plentiful and everyone was in good spirits.The staff were extremely hardworking and seemed to do a variety of jobs especially the lovely lady on reception. good location for the museums and art galleries and all the buses stop outside. 20 min walk to town centre and very close to Hydro and SECC. All in all a very enjoyable stay and yes it is old and not 5 star but the welcome we got was worth so much more.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor if possible as it can be too warm and there is no lift so not good if you are no...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Lanark, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Decided on this hotel due to location of the restaurant we were dining in.
In an old building but decor really needs properly updating. It has been done through various areas but just not properly i.e. patches on the staircase walls which had been missed with the new paint or round signs. Just felt it was not cared for.
Our room was 412 the very last one at the top of the 3 flights of stairs so if you have any problems with mobility its certainly not for you. The hall up there to the room has not been decorated like the rest as it was a dark yellowish colour and did not inspire us, along with the smell and the pine doors/wood just made it feel out dated. The room was ok and had ensuite which was tiny and had a toilet basin and shower unit.
Breakfast was down in the basement and ok with a variety of items on offer but staff could have been a bit more professional in their manner.
One point to make was that on the email from laterooms it stated 11am check out but we were told it is 10.30. i said about the email and the male reception member said that would be 11 then after chceking the website however the next morning, we got a call from reception at 10.35am to ask were we checking out? We did and will not be back. I'd rather pay that little extra money for a much better stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT on top floor ! Ours also looked out down onto the back court which was covered in...
Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Glasgow hotels