“Superb little place”

Grasshoppers Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #5 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This is a lovely little holiday. Often when you see the pictures of a hotel they don't match the reality - the same applies here but I think they undersell themselves! Rooms are very clean and have everything you need. Staff were excellent and couldn't have been more friendly. Only improvement I would like to see is baked beans on the breakfast menu!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Andy1577

Reviewed November 7, 2013

What an absolutely first class hotel! Located on the top floor of a Network Rail office building makes you a bit apprehensive down at street level but get out of the lift on the 6th floor and all that changes in fact it's rather like arriving at someone's B&B as Sean the manager personally greets you.

The bedrooms are big enough and very well appointed, the shower scores 9/10, there is a separate communal lounge and a first rate breakfast is served in the Kitchen. You can eat there in the evening but as we didn't I cannot comment.

Nice touches include proper ground coffee in the rooms and free cakes, biscuits, Smarties and fruit readily to hand. Our only problem now is thinking of a reason to back to Glasgow and stay again.

Room Tip: At the rear so you can admire Europe's largest glass roof (over Central Station).
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This is a gem of a find a hotel with the best staff we have ever come across.
We arrived on a cold wet afternoon and was greeted with a helpful smiling happy person at check in who showed us to the room.
The room over looked the station and was very clean as we were going straight out we declined the coffee milk or cup cakes (we had some later and they were lush).
Breakfast has everything you want loved the fresh bread and scrambled egg.
Having found this hotel we will use it next time we stay in Glasgow.
Well done to the owner and all the staff keep up the good work.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Brilliant location and great decor. Loved the small touches such as cupcakes and smarties they give you( easily bribed :) )
The room I had was a bit of a funny layout but cannot fault it. The quality of furniture reminds me a bit ikea like, but they have used it well to give contemporary feel to the hotel.

Definitely recommend it .

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights on the 1st and 2nd of Nov. My Boyfriend and I were up at Glasgow to see Jake Bugg at the 02 academy. Sean the owner knew this and tried to get us signed pictures to put in our room for us arriving but unfortunately the "Jake Bugg" people didn’t get back to him.
Sean did give us a free bottle of Prosseco for before we went out which was a very nice gesture.

The free cupcakes and homemade biscuits in the hall were lovely. My boyfriend Particularly liked the fact that there was every sky channel in the room.. Which meant football on every second of the day we were in the room! I had breakfast on both mornings which we ate in the room. The breakfast was perfect.. Proper homemade bread and the best scrambled eggs.

Lovely big shower and comfy bed.

My friends are visiting Glasgow in December and I have advised them too book the Grasshoppers Hotel, will deffas be back on our next visit.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Some will understand the SAHB, most won't!

Excellent location although could have been sign posted better or I should have read the location notes, found Union St. no problem but walked past the entrance the first time.

Sean was on duty and as other have said couldn't do enough to make you welcome, quick and easy check in and the room was ready early. Ground coffee and fresh milk were brought to the room and Sean advised and chatted about travel around the area and music.

The room may have been a bit on the small side but more than sufficient with everything you could need, bathroom very nice. The whole room being very clean and nicely presented.

All the staff were really pleasant and helpful, breakfast was excellent as were the cup cakes, missed out the shortbread!

The only reason I didn't give a 5 star was the noisy Friday night / Saturday morning revelers in the street below, what do people do till 4.00am? I wasn't woken by the noise but once awake you're aware of it. So next time I'll ask for a room on the station side.

The parking arrangements were much appreciated, parked in the Jamaica St. car park over night which would have been £14.00 but with the discount ticket provided by Sean this was reduced to £6.00

This was my 8th trip to Glasgow over the past 5 or 6 years and this is the best place I've stayed in and I'll certainly stay here again next time.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 3, 2013

It is not the most conventional of hotels, and you have to keep your eyes peeled for the understated entrance, but I'll definitely be returning to this hotel. Just around the corner from the railway station its great for late arrivals or early departures, and the rooms are very modern and comfortable. The highlight was eating dinner at the restaurant, especially when travelling on my own for business, it's a small room with friendly atmosphere and really, really good food. Breakfast was amazing and this would be my first pick of places to stay in Glasgow.

Room Tip: The rooms that face the main road would be noisy at night on weekends. Definitely book in advance fo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business