“Left our room door open, TWICE!”

Grasshoppers Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #4 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Had high hopes after reading the reviews in here, but the best things I can say about this hotel is that the location is excellent and that they answer you quick by e-mail when booking...

The rooms are quite small, we could not even get our luggage past the bed without lifting it over. The other thing we disliked was the sliding doors to the bathroom. Not much privacy, so one should really be comfortable with eachother or be deaf.

My girlfriend have asthma, and we let them know up front. The room was nice and clean when we checked in, and he window was open as requested. However, we stayed for almost two weeks, and no vacuuming or removal of dust was done after check in. THere were chunks of dust laying openly on the floor. So we took action ourselves and removed it.

What was our main concern with this hotel was the fact that the door wouldn't smack by itself. No problem at all, hadn't the cleaning personel left the door open. When we returned to our room one day the door was not locked. We told the personell in reception, and were told the problem was addressed, and that the cleaning personell was being told to close the door properly. The next night we stayed at Isle of Bute, only to return to Grasshoppers and our door being left open AGAIN. That is totally unacceptable! No compansation was offered.

The fire alarm set off twice when we stayed here, once during the night. We are glad the the hotel take fire risks serious, so this is no critisism of Grasshoppers. However, we found the information during these incidents missing. We were only told to return to our room by other guests. They should have better routines regarding this.

We did not try the breakfast nor the complimentary cupcakes in the hallways, but appreciated the free bottled water.
The bottled water and excellent location does not weigh up for the door being left open twice.

We always go to Glasgow two weeks every summer, but next summer we will stay somewhere else I'm afraid.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Martin H
Grasshoppersglasgow, Manager at Grasshoppers Hotel Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thanks for your review. I have spoken with my housekeeping team regarding your comments. The fact the door was not closed securely was our fault and I apologise for that. I have even checked the door closing mechanism today to check if there is a fault.

Normally when guests are staying for a week or more we try to give them a larger room. As you had specifically requested a room on the station side of the hotel this was not possible due to other bookings.

The fire alarm going off on two occasions was unusual and unfortunate but is outwith the control of the hotel. The person in charge of the hotel at this time would liase with the fire service and advise guests that it was safe to return to the hotel. I am told, as I expected, his message was passed on to those guesrts who were evacuated.

I do hope you consider a return to Grasshoppers and if you do please contact me directly to discuss the booking to ensure all is to your liking.

Sean
Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,234)

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed here at the start and end of a long weekend trip up the west coast railway to Mallaig, and this place was exactly what we needed. The location was great, and the hotel inside was beautifully done. We didn't really get to enjoy the kitchen due to our late arrivals and early departures, but the staff were really accommodating and even for our early starts there was freshly baked bread, fresh coffee and cereals etc.
Our only slight gripe was that neither of the rooms we had were far from the kitchen, and the wooden floors made the noise of the breakfast tables being laid up echo loudly into our rooms quite late at night. We could also hear the chat of one group of people enjoying their wine in the kitchen restaurant until fairly late as well. But as a lot of people choosing to stay in a city centre hotel will be out enjoying the city in the evenings this isn't too much of a problem.
We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Perfect location for exploring central Glasgow! A bit difficult to find...the sign is very small but it is in a building adjacent to the train station and on the second floor. Building has been modernized and is very nice/modern. Rooms are small but clean and comfortable. Breakfast room is modern and clean and self serve more or less. Once found, you'll probably go back!!

Room Tip: Get specific directions for the location for you or your driver.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I have stayed here due to business meetings in Glasgow several times this year and last year. I love to come back to Grasshoppers for the genuine welcome, great service and the superb food. The rooms are decorated very tastefully and simply which I think is great. You can't beat the comfy white linen covered beds and fluffy towels.The dinners are truly excellent standard freshly prepared each night. I look forward to receiving the dinner menu email prior to arrival to see what great things are on. Again simple choices but fab quality and nice choice of wine to accompany the food. Breakfast buffet is delicious as well. Noise from the train station is not an issue I think as you are high above the glass-covered station.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My boyfriend took me here for my birthday and I thought it was fabulous!! The room, though small, was well thought out and the bathroom pods are a brilliant idea. The room was immaculate and the bed comfortable. The reception staff were great when we needed glasses/bottle openers etc. yes the room was warm but we just kept the windows open and a fan was provided for hotter days and yes it was noisy but what else can you expect on a main bus route in the city. We thoroughly enjoyed breakfast and the receptionist tried to help us book our days events. I would absolutely recommend this hotel for somewhere to stay in town.

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights for a reunion and was very impressed from the minute we arrived !
Nothing too much trouble the staff were lovely .
Rooms immaculate with lovely decor . Breakfast great and fresh filter coffee and homemade cupcakes a lovely extra touch after a long day :-)
Yes it can be a little noisy outside but it's City centre so in my opinion perfectly normal !! Comfy beds still ensured a good nights sleep.....
Nothing negative to say its a little gem that goes the 'extra mile' for its customers and I will use again !!

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Just bin to this hotel never again it is above the train station so when the station is open u can here the noise from the station . The hotel itself is more like a posh travelodge the rooms are small but ok , the only problem was I was woken up a 516 am yes am by the reception phone ringing witch never got answer so then the started ringing the bell , next a man and women started talking so the night person must of let some staff or a freind in then tryed to get back to sleep to be woken at 6 am a bell again that I think was the lift then I tryed again to get back to sleep witch I did for 50 mins to a alarm of some kind to be going of so I thought sod it I will just get up my wife had took me away for my 40th birthday to have 5 hours sleep , on check out mentioned to the girl on reception who was very apologetic and knocked me £10 off the only good thing a could say is the breakfast was nice and fresh but if you want a good night sleep stay away unless u like door bells and staff talking at 516am I will not return witch is a shame

2  Thank yoyobigwheel

An interesting review and I'm sorry your sleep was interrupted.

I have looked into your coments and can tell you that our intercom on the main door is connected to our phone system. Unfortunately some"jokers" outside thought it was funny to press the intercom continuously for a period of time causing the phone to ring at reception. The volume of the phone has now been turned down.The room you stayed in was certainly bigger than at Travel Lodge. I don't think Travel Lodge offer Egyptian Cotton linen, Arran Aromatic toiletries, Sky HD television (which includes movies and sports packages) on wide screen tvs?
It seems a guest returned to the hotel quite late with a few drinks on board and spoke quite loudly. The receptionist ushered this guest to his room promptly and efficiently. No other guests commented on these matters.

You mention the receptionist "knocked £10 off the bill" but we both know this is not true.

You failed to mention that the hotel had placed a complementary bottle of Prosecco in your room in recognition of your birthday. Also due to your children's illness you cut short your stay to one night. This was less than 24 hours notice required to avoid payment being taken. Due to the circumstances the hotel did not charge you.

I'd be happy to discuss these matters if you wish to contact me.

Sean