“Great concept, well executed - the customer at the heart of it”

Grasshoppers Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #4 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed March 17, 2013

When I leave a review here I like to look back at what other guests have experienced. As you will see the general consensus is 'Very Good' or 'Excellent' and I can't disagree with that. For those that gave poor reviews I can only say DO YOUR RESEARCH. The main complaints seem to be about the noise, lack of parking, the size and/or facilities in the room, difficulty finding it & the shady entrance. The first two are really quite easy to answer - this is a city centre hotel sandwiched between a main railway station and a busy road so it won't be quiet and on-site or local parking is unlikely. Having said that we were not disturbed by any undue noise on the 2 nights we stayed and we would not have dreamed of bringing the car. The rooms are very clearly described and, while minimal, are perfectly adequate for most. After all a good bed, an excellent shower and a good strong, reliable wi-fi signal are really all anyone needs. I'm not sure how anyone could miss the huge sign outside the hotel (look up?) but have to agree that the first impression of the entrance is disappointing.There are some niggles also about the rooms being too hot or too cold - our room was cool & comfortable and had both a fan & a heater so I can't see that being a problem. The price - in my opinion and in comparison with what else was on offer this was excellent value. Finally it is clear that the owner, the manager & the staff really care and want this hotel to be special - many early complaints are now dealt with.

Where the Grasshopper Hotel wins, over and above the great location and good rooms, is the whole experience. From the initial booking, where we had a small issue that was promptly resolved, it was clear that Grasshopper is trying to do something a little bit different. The cup cakes and fresh milk & coffee delivered to the room on arrival have been mentioned severally before - the meal deal is great too. A warm friendly dining room with a small but excellent menu and short but very good wine list only covers the facts - what I found really encouraging was the friendliness & the standing invitation not to dine alone (which could be ignored of course). The review by HanLH, who was there when we were, sums up the impact on a lone traveller of having a friendly welcome and others also joined in the convivial chat with the owner.

My only regret is that during my working years (I am recently retired) there wasn't anywhere like Grasshopper. Which is a little ironic - battered by many dreadful hotel experiences me & my friend and former work colleague Hugh once dreamed up the ideal place to stay if forced to do so on business. Largely it came down to 'somewhere nice to sleep' and 'something nice to eat' Grasshopper does both of those and wraps it in a warm & friendly atmosphere.

Will I stay again - certainly, would I recommend it - definitely. Hotels like Grasshopper, while I can see they would not appeal to everybody (no hotel can), should be encouraged for putting the customer at the heart of the operation.

Room Tip: Make time to dine & go for a larger room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank panda54
Write a ReviewReviews (1,225)

Reviewed March 16, 2013

A welcoming hotel full of personal touches including tea, coffee & cupcake on arrival, it's the little things about this hotel that make it so appealing.
In a perfectly convenient location positioned behind Glasgow Central Train station on the 6th floor.
Travelling alone on business, I stayed for one night in this hwould ur I wish I could have stayed longer. What most impressed me was the warmth of the other guests and the hotels owner who was dining in the restaurant when arrived to eat. I was immediately made to feel extremely welcome and was encouraged to join a table with some other hotel guests as I was travelling alone. The restaurant, named 'The Kitchen' offered up a wonderful 3 course meal which was of top restaurant quality.
Anyone wishing to stay in a hotel that cares about its guests and strives to give a personal experience then you must visit Grasshoppers!!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 15, 2013

...really good. Definitely our hotel of choice from now on when visiting Glasgow. Nice feel about it, staff couldn't be more helpful - thank you! Breakfast was great, location was perfect and the price too - we'll be back!

Room Tip: Get the station side
1  Thank Doug M
Reviewed March 15, 2013

this is a nice friendly boutique hotel. rooms are good, not luxurious. Staff are great. the best thing is that on the two days i was there, there was home made cake around both afternoons. and really nice it was too!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We expected a 5min walk to the hotel from Central Station and was very pleased, it was more like 5 seconds. We had a very warm welcome and even though we were checking in 2 hrs early our room was ready, Shona provided us with ground coffee and shortbread biscuits and told us how to get to House for Art Lovers via public transport, which was very easy. All the receptionist were friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We had an excellent breakfast on both mornings of our stay, I couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough and will definitely stay there again. We were so close to restaurants and bars and were given directions to Merchant Square, excellent Tapas and bars.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Grasshoppers looked a little suspicious from outside but upon reaching the designated floor I was happily surprised to delve upon a real find in Glasgow city centre. The hotel is very conveniently located, right next door to the train statio. The decor is contemporary, neutral tones (think Farrow & Ball) but minimalist trendy by 3/4 star standing. Staff were more than friendly on check-in, breakfast and check-out. I didn't have dinner as was unsure to the set up and communal tables scared me a little but breakfast the next morning was so good I wish I had! They also had the most delicious homemade cake and shortbread (well we were in Scotland) in reception for guests and with tea/coffee facilities/comp bottled water in room this was the perfect wind-down after a long day. Bedrooms were very clean and comfortable. Even though I was beside the train station I slept soundly. Overall I highly recommend as value for money.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper request a room furthest away from train station.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed here for one night as had to catch an early train the next day and the hotel near the station . Arrived 1.30 pm to book in but as the room was being cleaned asked to wait in the lounge . Did not get room until check in time at 2.0 pm and this seems to be hotel policy . Room was fine and clean if a bit small and fairly basic . Beds were very comfortable and had an excellent nights sleep . Went for breakfast at 7.0 am which was adequote in nice surroundings but no bread or rolls which had not been delivered ! The hotel is ideal for one or two nights and is very centrally placed . Full marks to the staff who could not have been more helpful or friendly .
Member of staff said the aim was to make it a home from home which it is but is not a four star hotel .