“Good location”

Grasshoppers Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #5 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed here for one night as had to catch an early train the next day and the hotel near the station . Arrived 1.30 pm to book in but as the room was being cleaned asked to wait in the lounge . Did not get room until check in time at 2.0 pm and this seems to be hotel policy . Room was fine and clean if a bit small and fairly basic . Beds were very comfortable and had an excellent nights sleep . Went for breakfast at 7.0 am which was adequote in nice surroundings but no bread or rolls which had not been delivered ! The hotel is ideal for one or two nights and is very centrally placed . Full marks to the staff who could not have been more helpful or friendly .
Member of staff said the aim was to make it a home from home which it is but is not a four star hotel .

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,221)

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I can't fathom the great reviews for this hotel. I booked based on such reviews and was extremely disappointed. The reviews don't make clear that it's a budget hotel - the room was tiny with minimal facilities - but not at a budget price. I've previously stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and it's similar to that. The location on the 6th floor of a building that's seen better days is not ideal. Union Street in Glasgow is really run down and not somewhere to be late at night. On arriving back at the hotel after our night out there was no power in the building. No apologies or refund offerred on checking out.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tamfaeglesga
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Hotel is situated on Union St but on the six floor of an office block, but not too hard to find as it does have a decent sized maker outside, Staff very very helpful and friendly, I found the price to very reasonable for a hotel of this quality in Glasgow, rooms are comfortable clean and have everything you need for a pleasant stay, that said if I stayed again I would request a room at the rear as I found the noise off the street to be a little too much for a sound nights sleep.
Breakfast was included in the price and was of a good standard again staff where very attentive to customers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was drawn to the Hotel through the reviews posted on Trip Advisor ....I was visiting family in Glasgow and was looking for a reasonable standard of hotel at a good price which I could use as a base for future trips.
The hotel operates from the 6th floor of a building which is mostly occupied by Scotrail and the rooms will overlook either a busy street or the roof of the railway station at the back of the building. It is just a few minutes walk from where the Airport bus stops and if you are arriving at central station it will be just next door.
Staff were very helpful and friendly plus our room was quiet, clean and the bathroom was more than adequate for our needs.
Breakfast was excellent and again the staff were most helpful.

Room Tip: I will be using this hotel again because I need a good base in Glasgow ...if you want a five star ho...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 5, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Sally M
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Decided to stay at Grasshoppers after reading reviews and also the location of the hotel. Despite having concerns over finding the hotel, it was easier than I thought and lifts are quick and take you straight up to the 6th floor. Staff are very helpful and friendly and more than happy to chat about your trip to Glasgow and best things to do. Room was spacey, high ceilings and nicely decorated, bed was so comfy - both my husband and I said it was one of the most comfortable nights sleeps we had ever had away from home. Shower space was very generous and gave an amazing shower experience. Having Sky tv and coffee/cakes on call was a nice perk. The location of the hotel is very good and handy for central Glasgow. My only quibble was I feel they could offer more hot breakfast choices, would have loved a bit of haggis with my cooked breakfast! But this is a minor thing and would definitely recommend it for a weekend break.

Room Tip: Do the Glasgow bus tour, great fun and good value.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2013

After reading the amazing reviews about this place, I booked it because I wanted to "indulge." What a disappointment...mind you, I stayed here two nights and it cost me nearly $250 U.S. dollars. This hotel wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't worth that kind of money.

We couldn't find the hotel at first, because it's located on a very busy street and occupies only one floor of a nondescript office building. When we got upstairs, we were generally much happier with the overall appearance inside than we were on the street. We had arrived a few hours early and were not able to check in any sooner than the specified time of 2PM. However, I couldn't complain about that, seeing as I'd brought a friend with me at the last minute and the staff was very accommodating; though they couldn't provide a room with two beds, they did give us a double at no extra charge.

So, now for the place itself. The rooms are clean, but rather bare-- we did have a television, but aside from that, there's a lamp and a chair, both of which look like they've come straight out of IKEA. ...which is FINE-- totally not a problem. It was strange, given the cost (I'd gotten this room for a bargain price; God knows what I would've done if I'd paid even MORE for it) there was no desk, nor pen & paper...no "welcome" booklet, no Bible. The Bible thing doesn't make a difference to me, but it's just so common in hotels I was surprised when I didn't see one.

The bathroom is a behind a thin, sliding wood door. The shower was roomy and the water pressure was fantastic.

We couldn't sleep a wink either of the two nights we stayed here, as our room faced the street and the noise was horrendous. To give you an idea of how bad it was, when I asked Reception, they opened a DRAWER FULL OF EARPLUGS and handed me some. I can't rate the hotel based on the things it can't control (such as noise levels outside) but I can say that based on the noise alone, if I had to do this trip over again, the noise would be a huge deterrent that would keep me from choosing this place.

Later that night I asked Reception for a pen and they didn't have any (though the Receptionist gave me her own pen to use). Again, weird for a top-notch hotel.

The radiators in our room were not functioning properly (but we didn't report this, so I can't complain on that front) and the maids did not replace the tea, sugar, water, etc. on our second night. If we wanted something (like coffee or milk) we'd have to go to the kitchen and fend for ourselves. I wouldn't have minded this if the cost was less than what I paid for.

Finally, and perhaps most disappointing of all, was the 2AM hotel-wide power outage that lasted until about 5AM. Fortunately I slept through most of this, but when my friend recounted the experience to me, she mentioned how furious other people were when they'd opened their doors to investigate the problem.

In closing, I will say this: Grasshoppers feels more like a superior quality hostel than it does a hotel. Ironically, it was like being at an IKEA store. I don't mind getting furniture from IKEA if I go in there with the knowledge that it's not the best stuff out there/that it's the most basic stuff I'll find. However, if I go into IKEA, spend a ton of money and THEN find out I was robbed, I would be very upset. Hence, I will not say this is necessarily a bad hotel, but it's not worth what I paid for it.

P.S. The Reception staff is very nice, though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does NOT face the street. The drunkards and all sorts of loud, obnoxious charac...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends