“A catalogue of disasters”

Grasshoppers Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #5 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
London
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Decided to stay at Grasshoppers after reading reviews and also the location of the hotel. Despite having concerns over finding the hotel, it was easier than I thought and lifts are quick and take you straight up to the 6th floor. Staff are very helpful and friendly and more than happy to chat about your trip to Glasgow and best things to do. Room was spacey, high ceilings and nicely decorated, bed was so comfy - both my husband and I said it was one of the most comfortable nights sleeps we had ever had away from home. Shower space was very generous and gave an amazing shower experience. Having Sky tv and coffee/cakes on call was a nice perk. The location of the hotel is very good and handy for central Glasgow. My only quibble was I feel they could offer more hot breakfast choices, would have loved a bit of haggis with my cooked breakfast! But this is a minor thing and would definitely recommend it for a weekend break.

Room Tip: Do the Glasgow bus tour, great fun and good value.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 2, 2013

After reading the amazing reviews about this place, I booked it because I wanted to "indulge." What a disappointment...mind you, I stayed here two nights and it cost me nearly $250 U.S. dollars. This hotel wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't worth that kind of money.

We couldn't find the hotel at first, because it's located on a very busy street and occupies only one floor of a nondescript office building. When we got upstairs, we were generally much happier with the overall appearance inside than we were on the street. We had arrived a few hours early and were not able to check in any sooner than the specified time of 2PM. However, I couldn't complain about that, seeing as I'd brought a friend with me at the last minute and the staff was very accommodating; though they couldn't provide a room with two beds, they did give us a double at no extra charge.

So, now for the place itself. The rooms are clean, but rather bare-- we did have a television, but aside from that, there's a lamp and a chair, both of which look like they've come straight out of IKEA. ...which is FINE-- totally not a problem. It was strange, given the cost (I'd gotten this room for a bargain price; God knows what I would've done if I'd paid even MORE for it) there was no desk, nor pen & paper...no "welcome" booklet, no Bible. The Bible thing doesn't make a difference to me, but it's just so common in hotels I was surprised when I didn't see one.

The bathroom is a behind a thin, sliding wood door. The shower was roomy and the water pressure was fantastic.

We couldn't sleep a wink either of the two nights we stayed here, as our room faced the street and the noise was horrendous. To give you an idea of how bad it was, when I asked Reception, they opened a DRAWER FULL OF EARPLUGS and handed me some. I can't rate the hotel based on the things it can't control (such as noise levels outside) but I can say that based on the noise alone, if I had to do this trip over again, the noise would be a huge deterrent that would keep me from choosing this place.

Later that night I asked Reception for a pen and they didn't have any (though the Receptionist gave me her own pen to use). Again, weird for a top-notch hotel.

The radiators in our room were not functioning properly (but we didn't report this, so I can't complain on that front) and the maids did not replace the tea, sugar, water, etc. on our second night. If we wanted something (like coffee or milk) we'd have to go to the kitchen and fend for ourselves. I wouldn't have minded this if the cost was less than what I paid for.

Finally, and perhaps most disappointing of all, was the 2AM hotel-wide power outage that lasted until about 5AM. Fortunately I slept through most of this, but when my friend recounted the experience to me, she mentioned how furious other people were when they'd opened their doors to investigate the problem.

In closing, I will say this: Grasshoppers feels more like a superior quality hostel than it does a hotel. Ironically, it was like being at an IKEA store. I don't mind getting furniture from IKEA if I go in there with the knowledge that it's not the best stuff out there/that it's the most basic stuff I'll find. However, if I go into IKEA, spend a ton of money and THEN find out I was robbed, I would be very upset. Hence, I will not say this is necessarily a bad hotel, but it's not worth what I paid for it.

P.S. The Reception staff is very nice, though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does NOT face the street. The drunkards and all sorts of loud, obnoxious charac...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brianna C
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I found grasshoppers ok! The room was alright with a great view of the central station roof. The toilet didnt flush very well at all Staff were helpful enough bonus being the fresh coffee left for you in the room with a little flask of milk.

The lounge was quite basic! And looked as though it was getting some work done to it which they never finished.

Breakfast I enjoyed but could have been better! For the sake of some noisey english couple and there kids which spoiled it a little.

I would consider this hotel again! But defenitely better than the last place I stayed at (Citizen M).

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper stay away from the central station side!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Harry D
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

If Grasshoppers manages to keep its price for an overnight stay, including breakfast, well below most of its Glasgow city centre competitors, then they will go from strength to strength. This hotel has luxurious rooms with great quality bed linen, pillows and free bottled water. Wi-Fi is not only free, but the signal is also strong.

Breakfast continues to be a cramped affair, but given guests have the option to take their food back to the room, this doesn't need to be an issue. Why no veggie sausage? Mystifying that a great hotel can't keep a pack of frozen veggie sausages to please their meat-shunning loyal clientele, which after 4 stays we count ourselves among.

Well done, Grasshoppers. Looking forward to our fifth stay already!

• Stayed February 2013
Falkirk
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on Saturday. Knew about having to enter code on keypad to enter main door as it on 6th floor of building so e-mailed hotel few days before to find out code and to ask for a room on staion side as it quieter than street side got reply within few minutes very impressed. On arrival check in quick and shown to our room which was across from dining area. Flat screen tv and sky HD box with most channels. No wardrope in room 2 poles in wall with 3 coathangers on each but as we only staying 1 night not a problem. Asked for some coffee and fresh milk and coffee and shortbread brought to our room. Noticed the skirting boards and pipes were very dusty hadnt been cleaned for a while but wooden floor clean and bathroom very clean. Large shower (could fit 2 people easily) and large showerhead shampoo and conditioner in there too. Bed was very comfortable didnt want to get up in morning. Didnt hear any noise at all at night and even in morning didnt hear other guests going for breakfast. What i really liked was you can either eat in dining area or get breakfast yourself and take it to your room or if you say to them night before what you would like and at what time they will bring it to you at no extra charge which is really good as most hotels charge stupid amounts for this. Good choice for breakfast cereals, fruit and hot and cold selection you just help yourself. Would defo stay here again just the dusty skirting boards let it down but it wouldnt put me off booking again next time in Glasgow for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on station side are quieter
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed February 25, 2013

You really have to try this hotel to appreciate it! The location is truely city centre, right beside the central train station and just 200 yards from the main shopping thorough fare of Buchanan Street. The room was superb, very modern and clean with flat screen tv and sky hd box. The heating system even had its own timer switch so you could set it to suit your own needs, very handy as Glasgow was freezing when we visited. The staff were superb, nothing was a problem for them, very keen to make sure your stay was pleasant. Breakfast was freshly cooked and you could see the girls at work in the kitchen. On Sunday evening Margo had left a home made sponge cake in reception for the guests to sample, and it was fantastic. All in all, a true gem of a hotel, with fantastic staff and a brilliant central location. We have stayed in Glasgow a few times now, mostly in the west end because our son is at university but we will definately be returnin to Grasshopper. Fantastic value for money which cannot always be said for the bigger brand hotels. If you are travelling to Glasgow Grasshopper is worth checking out.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a busy street but it is on the 6th floor so street noise isnt really a problem and w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family