“Good Hotel, great staff!”

Grasshoppers Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #5 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Bought an Itison deal to be used by 31 Jan. Due to unforeseen circumstances we couldn't use it by then, but the hotel were very helpful and extended the deal til the end of February.
Parked up in the thistle car park (£6.00 - as long as you show your hotel receipt) and was only a 5 minute walk from the hotel. The entrance is a couple of doors down from the side entrance of central station on Union Street, so very central! Locked outer doors but a phone number to call and they gave us the entry code. Lift to the 6th floor which is the hotel! Lovely friendly receptionist who was also on duty in the kitchen the following morning. Small room but well decorated, VERY clean, pristine white bedding and towels. Tea bags, ground coffee and cafetiere, and fresh milk available 24 hrs from reception. Also still and sparkling water, and a tube of smarties! Receptionist also advised they would supply hairdryers, straighteners, iron and board etc all on request. Very comfy bed, spotlessly clean bathroom with double shower.

Easy access back in to the hotel at any time, cos of the code for the door. Was a friday night but we didn't experience any disturbance either from other guests or outside noise at any time. BUT the fire alarm going off at 5 in the morning was a rude awakening, and traipsing down 6 floors cos the lifts couldn't be used during a 'fire' seemed to take forever! However, everyone was pretty good about it, and in no way the Hotel's fault. Evacuation was prompt and orderly, and we were back inside within about 10 to 15 mins. Never found out why it went off, but hey, would rather be safe than sorry!

Breakfast was informal, a couple of trays of sausages and bacon, and a dish of scrambled egg, hard boiled eggs...fresh crusty bread, jams, fruit, some cheese, berries and yoghurts. Only downside was the pre cooked sausages, eggs and bacon were cold, despite being covered with foil and on a warming plate. However, the girls were more than happy to cook you poached or fried eggs if you preferred.

Apparently they have just got their liquor licence so intend to have a couple of chillers at reception with wines and beers etc for purchase, so you can sit with friends in 'the kitchen' or take back to your room.

All in all, a great choice if you want a night out in Glasgow, and great value even at normal rates. Wouldn't hesitate to book again.

There are newer reviews for Grasshoppers Hotel Glasgow

Reviewed February 19, 2012

Something a little different. This place is not a conventional hotel. It's a couple of floors of an office building that have been converted into a hotel. I didn't realise this when I booked, and it's a little disconcerting when you first get there. The rooms are great, really modern, with the most comfy inviting beds! The staff were friendly and helpful. It is a very short walk from Glasgow Central station. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Beautiful little hotel, very stylish and we enjoyed our stay very much. The bed was comfortable, room was small but had everything we needed and we loved the unique view over the station roof. Staff helpful and friendly, breakfast was simple and high quality. Great position in city centre, although immediate area is slightly run down, you are only a few steps away from great shopping, restaurants and bars. Highly recommended, and look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited Grasshoppers after buying a deal on Itison. We don't normally post reviews but after staying here we really wanted to share.

The hotel is located around the corner from the entrance of Central Station and is in an ideal location for the shops and nightlife. As soon as we arrived we were made to feel very welcome - There slogan of a home from home couldn't be any truer.

Our room was a standard double and a fine size for the two of us. It was bright, clean and the decor was lovely. The bed was amazing! Very comfortable and a struggle to get out of for breakfast time, however, on smelling breakfast cooking we couldn't help but get up.

The breakfast is held in "the kitchen" and that's exaclty the way it felt. Very homely and the three ladies working made sure we had everything we needed.

The only one bad point of the stay, and it is out of their hands, but the noise outside did waken me up. I am a light sleeper but, as it's close to some pubs, at closing time it did get a bit noisy. My boyfriend however slept through so it may not be an issue for everyone. I would just recommend asking for a room overlooking the station if you are a light sleeper and staying at the weekend - or just take some ear plugs :)

Overall a lovely stay and we can't wait to return!

Reviewed February 10, 2012

Very friendly, helpful ambience, and well-appointed, clean rooms.

The only negative is that it was slightly difficult to find/gain entrance to at night, but otherwise highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 10, 2012

First of all I’d like to comment on the negative reviews about the entrance door, noise and that it was hard to find - ridiculous!! So what if you have to call to get a code to enter the building - I was happy about this as it meant added security. Surely this is a good thing! Furthermore, when you are going to ANY hotel (or anywhere for that matter) you always check the address you are going to, so this hotel was not at all hard to find, 30 seconds from central station and there is a flag hanging above the door!! Lastly, the noise. There were some tannoy announcements in the station that I heard now and again, (no later than 10pm) but with the windows closed and watching TV, I didn’t notice them at all. No street noise or traffic noise at all. Perfect!
My other half and I stayed for 2 nights over a weekend and loved it, thought the room was perfect for our needs, lovely fresh and clean with modern & stylish furniture. On arrival we were greeted by the friendly staff that showed us to our room personally which was a nice touch and they told us the times for breakfast each day. Complimentary sweets and water were provided for us and I have to say, the cafetière of coffee and FRESH milk on request was great!! All we had to do was ask for top ups of milk, tea, coffee etc and it was given without question. I borrowed the hair dryer a couple of times and was offered straighteners and ironing board etc, anything I wanted I could get on request.
The bed was comfortable and the feather down pillows and duvet were excellent, large flat screen TV was brilliant and the Sky HD package with all sports and movie channels was excellent - we didn’t leave the hotel room for two days!! The bathroom was lovely & clean, lots of soft fluffy clean white towels and a large power shower which was excellent. All in all, I thought it was a good use of the space each room had.
I didn’t even notice there wasn’t a wardrobe until I read these reviews AFTER my stay. Just goes to show you don’t actually need it, all your clothes can hang on the hangers, and it doesn’t make any difference!!
Breakfast was delicious, the staff were so friendly and helpful and asked me each morning which kind of eggs I would like with my breakfast and anything I wanted, they would accommodate me. Large choice of cereals, juice, yoghurts, fruit and fresh breads for the toast which was appreciated. Cooked breakfasts, eggs, sausage, bacon and tomato, unlimited fresh pots of coffee and tea and individual little pots of jams, marmalade and sugar.
On our last morning I asked the manager if I could check out late as I was watching the end of a film, he said "of course" and even asked me how the film went. Very friendly and attentive! My Partner and I had a wonderful stay and would definitely recommend to anyone! Thank you to all the staff at the Grasshoppers Hotel who made us feel welcome, and at home. See you again soon!!

Room Tip: The view from our room was above the station roof and it shows a crackin' view of Glasgow!
1  Thank Susan D
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Great little hotel very close to Central Station slightly hidden away on the 6th floor of an office building.Ideal car parking just down the street get your ticket verified by hotel and you get 24 hrs for £6.Hotel appeared new and surroundings were all very modern,Check in and check out speedy with no problems .Good size bedroom with a fab bed and good size toilet and shower.Rooms have that nice balance between modern fixtures tastefully inserted into a traditonal style building.Breakfast was very good with differaint types of milk,italian bread ,sausages and bacon with eggs cooked to type and order,The usual cereal and fruit juices etc etc.Staff were all very attentive to your needs without being obtrusive.All in all a great little hotel and ideal for that city centre break