“Solid Rock”

Solid Rock Cafe
Ranked #248 of 2,592 Restaurants in Glasgow
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night
Description: The Solid Rock Cafe is Glasgow's original (and best) rock and metal venue, established in 1987 and evolving with the vibrant rock scene here ever since. Offering competitively priced and filling bar meals as well as a wide selection of beers, spirits and cocktails, as well as anything music wise from AC/DC to ZZ Top.
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Been here twice on 2 separate occasions. Very clean and hip. Quick service and amicable bartenders, Had a few drinks with friends second time around. Didn't have any food cause we had just left a restaurant but had a few pints. Although I must say the ladies bathroom was down the stairs and around the corner... Music is great and lots of flat screen TV. If your into Sports this would be a nice cozy, comfy place to have a few drinks, chat and get your team spirits on!

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Had a few drinks here with friends before a concert , pints were good didnt eat here but the food looked good . A great place to have a few beers and listen to some good rock tunes

Robert A, Manager at Solid Rock Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

HI Rysethan,

We're very glad you enjoyed your visit to Glasgow and both our food and drink offering! Regarding the smell, I can only apologise profusely - We had a problem with the main drain running through the cellar below the bar over the weekend of the 9th & 10th of March, although I'm pleased to confirm this has been fixed and the smell is now gone, much to the delight of everyone who frequents the pub!

We hope to welcome you back soon for a more fragrant visit!

Robert

Reviewed March 11, 2013

we were here twice over the weekend, on entering its dark but you soon get accustomed to this, the bar staff are friendly and efficient, we had lunch here on the first day and it was gorgeous and very well priced, the only downside to this pub is the smell, it lingers everywhere, i think maybe the carpets need a good clean, other than that its a great place to pass an evening.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I live in Glasgow and I went to this place with a few freinds while we were doing a bit of pub crawl. We ordered three pints of "West Brewery"; brewed locally by a small independant brewery and usually delicious. When we sipped the drinks we all agreed that the pints tasted disgusting, like vinegarish and very stale. When I went to bar to complain the barman had a sip from the tap and said that they tasted "normal"! ??? Yuck... He never asked us if we wanted to exchange them or anything so we were stuck with them. I got chatting moments latter to a "regular" who had been ging to the pub for iver 20 years. He said it was my own fault because eveyone knew that the beers on tap were "disgusting" and he always drank bottles. We had to leave to drinks because they were so rank and it really sucked because it was £3.90 a pint!!! The next day I spoke to the assistant manager who said it was my fault that I didnt kick up more of a fuss to get a refund. I left my number and the manager was supposed to cakll me but he never did. In conclusion -
Widely regarded disgustingly bad drinks
unexperienced bar staff that think beer should tast like vinegar
rude management.
Really bad place to go. Never again.

4  Thank Dave G
Robert A, Manager at Solid Rock Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Dear Dave,

I'm genuinely sorry you didn't enjoy your visit to the Solid or the West St Mungo Lager you and your friends had to drink. It is both a delicious and award winning beer.

Let me start by saying that we take issues of beer quality very seriously at the Solid Rock and our beer lines are cleaned religiously every week to ensure our beers and ciders are of a good quality at all times. I don't know what "regular" you spoke to, but draught beer and cider accounts for approximately 65% of our total sales - I'm confident this shows that our draught offerings are anything but "disgusting" as you suggest.

Regarding your complaint, if you felt there was an issue then you should have asked to speak to a manager at the time of the incident rather than speaking to a member of bar staff then leaving without requesting a refund. Had you requested a refund or a different choice of drink at the time it would have been our pleasure to provide either.

I was advised by my assistant manager (who I believe you spoke to) that the person that phoned - yourself I believe to the best of my knowledge - was not in fact the person who had purchased the round of drinks but was seeking a refund on behalf of his friend who had paid for the round.

Unfortunately it is not feasible or realistic to pay out refunds after the event or to a different party from the one who had originally purchased the drinks. Had your friend felt that a replacement drink or refund was necessary I'm afraid he should have raised it at the time in person and not left his friend to deal with it the following day.

I hope to welcome you and your friends back to the venue in the future.

Robert Alexander

Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

OK, let me state from the outset that we're 'old school' metal and frequented the Solid every Saturday for years until we moved away from Glasgow. When we come back for a gig like we did last night (Therapy? @ The Garage) we like to revisit our old haunt.

Some things have changed which we, personally speaking, don't like. TV screens everywhere just detract from the weekend atmosphere. Even if you're into darts, as a music fan you come to mix with like-minded rock doods to chat and get into the vibe not watch some guy throwing darts. Our advice? Keep the daft screens for the weekday office crews who like that stuff and switch them off for the so-Solid crews at the weekend.

Secondly, ditch the lazy playlists and get a DJ back at the Solid. Endless MP3s are fine if you're painting a room or working out, but the personal touch of a human being taking the occasional request is far superior and makes the clientele feel like they matter.

Be a shame to see The Solid go down the tubes due to a few shoddy details. It's an oasis at the a*se-end of Hope St, let's keep it that way.

Robert A, Manager at Solid Rock Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Hi Ali/Malky

First of all I'm disappointed you did not enjoy your most recent visit to the Solid.

I don't know when you guys last visited us, but we've had the same TV screens in the same locations for at least 5/6 years - We usually have music or concert videos or movies on in the background. I was off on the date in question but find it hard to believe we were showing darts on the big screens - we largely avoid sport in general on the TV's as it's not something the majority of our clientele are interested in. I'll make inquiries with the rest of the management team and try to find out what was going on.

Regarding your grievances with the music - we've not had a DJ for well over a decade and the music is controlled by the duty manager on any given shift. Despite this customer requests are (for the most part anyway) actively encouraged.

I hope this will encourage both of you to visit again in the future.

Robert