“SYHA Youth Hostel - great location, value, ambience”

Glasgow Youth Hostel
Reviewed June 19, 2014

SYHA Youth Hostel - 8 Park Terrace, Glasgow G3 6BY, Scotland (West End) - a great location, tops for value, friendly ambience. During our Glasgow visit we, again, opted for this superb hostel we booked a private en suite room with large window overlooking Kelvingrove Park, echoes from Glasgow University’s deep voiced bell marking the hours.
Hostel Staff were cheery, helpful and keen to suggest city walks or arrange taxi cabs, often at special reduced rates! An immaculate basement dining hall serves meals tastefully prepared by resident chef, priced below high street restaurant rates. We opt for breakfast only, taking pub lunches where wanderings find us later in the day. Beer and wines too, also on sale. Beds, narrow, are comfortable - but watch out for reading light fixtures, poorly positioned on headboards just right to bang ones head. Shower immaculate, water pressure superb - bring your own shampoo and soaps. Towels and fresh bed linens are provided. Pay as you go Internet available, specious lounge and TV room on ground floor is ideal for between explorations relaxation..
A scenic walk through Kelvingrove Park’s meandering pathways leads to Glasgow Art Galleries and The Huntarian Museum at the University (both free admission) Nearby Byres Road, the west end’s vibrant boutique, pubs, grocery stores, bookshops Mecca boasts terrific shopping, vintage clothes, thrift shops and more.
Fancy some Glaswegian fare? Greggs Pies - served piping hot at Greggs Bakery are so popular lines form right out the door at lunchtime. Mario’s Restaurant serves best fish and chips, haggis and chips and Italian goodies. Tenannt’s Pub for best prices on pints, whisky’s and wines, goodly pub lunches too.
In short the SYHA Hostel, as in the past, was fun, inexpensive - above all a right friendly retreat after a day of Glasgow adventuring. Be sure to book in advance, especially on holidays and weekends. You do not have to be an SYHA Member, a temporary membership surcharge is well worth it for such admirable digs.
reservations@syha.org.uk

Room Tip: Be sure to book in advance...weeeknds and holidays tend to be full. Ask reception about special taxi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jim L
SYHAHostelling, Guest Relations Manager at Glasgow Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Jim L

Thanks for this really positive review, we love our Grand old Building in the West End of Glasgow and we LOVE GLASGOW.

We thank you for all your comments, the beds are brand new, and we hadnt thought about or had anyone mention the shelves before, we will keep an eye on what you have mentioned and going forward we will feedback the shelf concern to our suppliers for our next bed renewals at one of our many locations in Scotland.

Thank You again, we love good reviews.

Lorna

Reviewed May 26, 2014

I have stayed Youth Hostel for 6 nights. It was my first time to travel alone. Youth Hostel definitely gave traveler a very clean environment to live. From bed-sheet to bathroom, not to mention excellent kitchen and public reading room. Staying there, I could appreciate great scene by over viewing the western of Glasgow. Also, Youth hostel's security makes me feel safe and no worry. If I need to conclude one impressive point of Youth Hostel, I may say "People". People I met there made me unforgettable. People I met from staff to roommates and even the stranger passed by, they're all very descent, well-educated and kind. All this together makes Youth Hostel wonderful.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank 297A_Q
SYHAHostelling, Guest Relations Manager at Glasgow Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

297A_Q

We are so happy to read that you loved our Glasgow Youth Hostel, we love it too. Its a grand old building with some of the best views in the city, so you picked the right place for your 6 night stay.

We have a great team at Glasgow Youth Hostel and I am so glad to hear that you were made to feel welcome by them all.

Thanks so much for the review, and we hope you might return one day.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Stayed here mid-October 2013 after a really harrowing day in Glasgow. Was very uncrowded -- my friend K and I were the only people staying in our room, even though it was a dorm. No complaints at all with the hostel. Staff were very friendly, despite our late check-in, and recommended relaxing in the beautiful hostel lounge (with incredibly comfy sofas). There were quite a few books available to read on the hostel bookshelves. Beds were clean and certainly comfortable enough.

My only issue was with the location. Getting there was fine -- we used a taxi -- but we decided to walk into the city centre, and we found the area a bit sketchy. One block away from the hostel, we got leered at by a man who tried to coax us into a fancy car which almost definitely wasn't his. So I can't say I felt especially safe after that. Interestingly enough, there were also about five cats lounging around that street. I nearly tripped over two of them.

Ultimately, a nice, comfortable hostel. But take a taxi to and from.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Libby A

Thanks for the review, we love to hear from happy guests and so glad that you got to hang out in our big lounge and admire the views. Our team at Glasgow also loved reading that you found them all so helpful, we really do pride ourselves on our customer service.

We love the views, the location and our grand old Youth Hostel. The views over Kelvingrove Park are one of the best in our great city. Sorry to hear you felt a little scared when walking into the city, I guess that would be normal in most places that you don't know so well. Glasgow residents are known across the world for their friendly manner, so maybe next time you are back we can help you with directions.

Cats, we are in a residential area, so I can only guess there are a lot of cat owners in the vicinity.

Once again thanks so much for your response.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

I stayed here for 1 night in April 2014. The hostel is in a lovely old building right on the edge of Kelvingrove Park with great views across the park and the city. (It was especially good because it was warm and sunny when I stayed). The staff and the other guests were very helpful and friendly. There is plenty to see and do within a few minutes’ walk of the hostel. It’s also easy to walk right into the centre of town, although I did take a taxi to come back at night because I wasn’t totally happy to walk back alone.
The thing I liked least was that the toilets and showers were en-suite. I’m sure this sounds good to some people, but it doesn’t work well in a hostel setting with shared rooms. I was the first to wake of six so obviously I didn’t want to disturb them all by having a shower in the room. I had to search the hostel until I found the shower for disabled people 3 floors down. It was good shower though!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Alice M

thanks so much for your great feedback, we really appreciate it. We think Glasgow Youth Hostel is a magnificent building also and the views and location are one of the best in Glasgow.

All the bedrooms at Glasgow Youth Hostel are ensuite and we are just about completed in upgrading 80% of the shower rooms to make them even better.

I totally understand your comments in regards to sharing in a dorm and not wanting to wake other guests. We are trying hard to please everyone and when we have done a refurbishment at other sites such as Lochranza on Arran and at Oban Youth Hostels we did also put a communal shower on a floor alongside the en-suites. So we are listening to our guests and when we can, funds allowing we do.

Glasgow Youth Hostel does have many private rooms so maybe next time you can try one of these.

Thanks again so much for your review, we really do appreciate it.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I stayed for one night in a dorm and was very happy with how clean and tidy the place was. The building itself has a good 'feel' to it, the lounge is large and comfy, and on the whole it's a nice place to be. It's a short walk to the city, but its location gives it some fantastic views.

As youth hostels and budget travels go, it was pretty good.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We stayed at the Glasgow Youth Hostel for 2 nights in January and really enjoyed our stay. We were after somewhere a bit cheaper than your average bed and breakfast. We booked a double room with en-suite it ended up being about half the price of a bed and breakfast.
We arrived before our room was ready so we have 2 hours or so to waste. We decided to walk down to the Kelvingrove Museum, which is at the bottom of the park the hostel overlooks. The park is really nice, great for walking or running around, which we did a few times. The museum is one of my all time favourites and is both a museum and art gallery, and a great place to learn about Scottish history as well as lots more.
Our room at the hostel was nothing fancy, however the bedroom was fairly big, the bed was comfy and the bathroom was clean and functional. We were on the second floor so the stairs were a struggle with our luggage, but it was good exercise.
The staff were always friendly and helpful, and there was also heaps of information at reception- city guides and maps etc. The hostel offered cooked meals throughout the day which seemed well priced and there was also a kitchen available which we used for breakfast.
One negative was that they didn't have free wifi.
The location is one of the main reasons I recommend this hostel, other than being close to Kelvingrove Museum it is also close to the University, the 'west end' and a short walk into the city center (although I recommend catching a taxi or bus to the hostel when first arriving).
If you're on a budget and want a nice place to stay then this is your place.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2014

A surprisingly pleasant week in this nice area of Glasgow. Cheap parking, comfortable large double room and pleasant staff.
I'm not fond of budget hotels but on a budget this place gave good service.
My only negatives were the ridiculous charges for internet usage - WiFi really should be as much as the service as a bed and shower these days.

All in all the place gave us a warm dry place to stay for a week with pleasant staff.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business