“Good hostel, lovely staff”

Glasgow Youth Hostel
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Enjoyed our stay at this hostel, was in a lovely area of Glasgow within easy walking distance of everything you might need (or cheap taxi to places a little bit further). We had a good sized room for a great price and the staff were absolutely lovely and very helpful! The only downside is the wifi only works on the bottom level, so not in your room if you're higher up, not a huge deal though. You can purchase wine and beer from reception, and buy meals (made for you in the kitchen), which was a lovely touch. They have an excellent rate with a taxi company to take you to Glasgow airport, if you happen to be heading there. Would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jaz C

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Quite a good choice for accomodation in Glasgow (if you like hostel atmosphere). Bunk beds, shared bathroom and common kitchen and dining room. The staff is kind and helpful, you can equip yourself with maps and guides at the counter. The also sell beer, which is not very common in youth hostels :)
The only disadvantage, I found, is the distance from the centre of Glasgow.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank snooka76
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Unfortunately, this was the worst hostel I stayed in during my time in Scotland. Although situated in a nice big house, the rooms are very small. Too small for 6 people. There was no possibility to lock the door to the shower. Also the shower was a room of about 1mX1.5m, there was fungi on the roof because of the lack of a serious ventilation.
There's only one toilet for the whole room, and there are only two other public toilets in the building. Also no public bathroom. That might be fine for some people, but I don't like waiting to clean my teeth or for going to the toilet. There was also a strange smell in the rooms and aisles.
Very positive was, that the staff was always friendly and helpful, there was a board where they write what's going on in the city, e.g. concerts or exhibitions.
Breakfast is ok, not more not less (Maybe some more fruits next time).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Dominik G
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Typical hostel experience. The staff were friendly and welcoming, the place was clean and the beds were comfortable. All rooms are en-suite. The hostel is situated in a quiet area near a nice park. For what I paid I cant really fault the place. I had a meal cooked for me one evening which was of a good quality. There is a self catering kitchen which is also clean and well stocked - there is a sign up suggesting good places nearby to shop for food. I did not try the breakfast offering as I had to leave early both mornings and breakfast does not start until 0730.

If arriving by train the SYHA website suggests using the Glasgow subway. I found it easier to just get the train to Charing Cross (one stop from Queen Street Low Level) and walk up the hill 10 mins. Consult Google Maps.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stayed at this hostel recently for two nights, and I feel like it was a great choice of accommodation. All of the staff that I interacted with we're really nice and helpful, even when it was late at night. The place was clean and I felt like they took pride in what they offered. The only issue we had (a window that wouldn't close) was handled in a timely manner. It's located in a really cute neighborhood, close to a subway stop and within an easy walking distance to lots of restaurants and shopping. I do wish the wifi had been free but I found plenty of it in the surrounding area so it wasn't too inconvenient. If I return to Scotland (which I hope to do), I will definitely consider staying here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I lived in Glasgow for ten years and was going back for a wedding with some friends (we were 3 women in their 20s/ 30s). We booked a 4 bed private dorm with en-suite bathroom in this hostel as it seemed good value and I knew the location was fantastic.

We weren't disappointed. The staff were friendly and helpful, going out of their way to provide tourist information for the city. The room was basic but clean, warm and comfortable. The bathroom was adequate. The beds were bunk beds, basic but comfortable. I was impressed by how quite it was that night too, especially as I'd noticed there was a large group of teenagers staying there. I heard a little bit of fire-door slamming but nothing more.

My only criticism was the bit of black mould in the shower (which the cleaner should really be more thorough in scrubbing) and the lack of paper towels to dry your hands on in the bathroom.

Otherwise, very comfortable and affordable hostel in one of the most beautiful parts of Glasgow, right on the edge of the city centre, west end and kelvingrove park.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank adelemc
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Wonderful location. A bit far from the city centre, but you can easily reach that walking (about twenty minutes). Good value for money. Kind welcome and very helpful staff. Rooms and common areas were nice, well organised, spacious and clean. Unluckily all the hostel was quite cold, which was very annoying. Outside was snowing and coming back to the hostel I just wanted to find a warm place to relax!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo