“Good Hostel.”

Glasgow Youth Hostel
Machynlleth, United Kingdom
“Good Hostel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

Typical hostel experience. The staff were friendly and welcoming, the place was clean and the beds were comfortable. All rooms are en-suite. The hostel is situated in a quiet area near a nice park. For what I paid I cant really fault the place. I had a meal cooked for me one evening which was of a good quality. There is a self catering kitchen which is also clean and well stocked - there is a sign up suggesting good places nearby to shop for food. I did not try the breakfast offering as I had to leave early both mornings and breakfast does not start until 0730.

If arriving by train the SYHA website suggests using the Glasgow subway. I found it easier to just get the train to Charing Cross (one stop from Queen Street Low Level) and walk up the hill 10 mins. Consult Google Maps.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stayed at this hostel recently for two nights, and I feel like it was a great choice of accommodation. All of the staff that I interacted with we're really nice and helpful, even when it was late at night. The place was clean and I felt like they took pride in what they offered. The only issue we had (a window that wouldn't close) was handled in a timely manner. It's located in a really cute neighborhood, close to a subway stop and within an easy walking distance to lots of restaurants and shopping. I do wish the wifi had been free but I found plenty of it in the surrounding area so it wasn't too inconvenient. If I return to Scotland (which I hope to do), I will definitely consider staying here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer S
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

I lived in Glasgow for ten years and was going back for a wedding with some friends (we were 3 women in their 20s/ 30s). We booked a 4 bed private dorm with en-suite bathroom in this hostel as it seemed good value and I knew the location was fantastic.

We weren't disappointed. The staff were friendly and helpful, going out of their way to provide tourist information for the city. The room was basic but clean, warm and comfortable. The bathroom was adequate. The beds were bunk beds, basic but comfortable. I was impressed by how quite it was that night too, especially as I'd noticed there was a large group of teenagers staying there. I heard a little bit of fire-door slamming but nothing more.

My only criticism was the bit of black mould in the shower (which the cleaner should really be more thorough in scrubbing) and the lack of paper towels to dry your hands on in the bathroom.

Otherwise, very comfortable and affordable hostel in one of the most beautiful parts of Glasgow, right on the edge of the city centre, west end and kelvingrove park.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank adelemc
Bergamo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

Wonderful location. A bit far from the city centre, but you can easily reach that walking (about twenty minutes). Good value for money. Kind welcome and very helpful staff. Rooms and common areas were nice, well organised, spacious and clean. Unluckily all the hostel was quite cold, which was very annoying. Outside was snowing and coming back to the hostel I just wanted to find a warm place to relax!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

This hostel is clean, quiet and the staff is decently friendly and helpful. They have a big kitchen and eating area with cooking and eating utensils which is nice.

Everyone sort of does their own thing...this isn't really a community oriented hostel. The toilet/sink area is separate from the shower which is good. We had a six bed room and the bathroom was inside the suite so that was nice. The walk is not too far from the main streets of Glasgow.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

The staff, specially tthe manager does not care for your comgort. They let a group of 15 teenagers and 3 or 4 aniimators hold a meeting in the dining room during dinner.
The member of the staff even contributed to the disturbance by asking the kid's name.
Ther was no room in the kitachen, no sponges, no rest. The service lacked of professionalism, no soap for the laundry, you cold see the look in the receptionist's eye (bored) when a customer seemed too long before me. When I complain to the manager about the dining room, he told me off. All this with a smile and kindness. This, is the onky bad thing about Glasgow. I will never go back there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank ra a
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

Here's a place you can get to know others coming over to visit the city of Glasgow. The place is very central, close to the University of Glasgow and also the city centre. With respect to the rooms, they are small and this is a shared accomodation, so not much can be expected from it. But they are clean and the staff is frendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo