“Welcoming and friendly”

Ranked #69 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Ireland
“Welcoming and friendly”
Reviewed May 17, 2007

For me the most impressive aspect of my stay was the efficient and friendly staff. Just nice people to deal with. The hotel is a little dated, however my room was comfortable and clean with all the basics in place and working properly.

• Liked — clean and spacious
  • Disliked — a little dated
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank jnac

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Indonesian first
Scottish Island, Arran
Reviewed May 1, 2007

I am not one for writing to newspapers or web sites normally BUT
on this occasion I feel it appropriate to mention the wonderful
stay we had recently at Kelvingrove Hotel, Glasgow.
My wife and I came over to Glasgow to see the final performance
of Riverdance and enjoy a evening meal out to celebrate a notable birthday.
The reception was extremely warm, the information great and
the rating as advertised(a quality budget) hotel with everything
close by. Pubs, several restuarants to suit everybodies taste and
a touch of culture on the doorstep.
The breakfast was first class and nothing was any trouble to Valerie and her staff. Thanks again for making our stay enjoyable. See you soon.

• Liked — Location and attitude of staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank Davvy
Oxford
Reviewed March 29, 2007

I stayed in Room 3 March 17-19. I was originally booked for another room, but it was not ready, so I was moved to room 3. This was on the ground floor next to reception and the breakfast room. This did mean that things were noisy in the morning, but on the other hand I didn't have to walk far at all to get to my room.

The room itself was nice, with a nice big, comfortable bed. The bathroom was fine as well. The towel warmer was a nice touch, as were the flowers.

The only gripe could be about TV, only about 4-5 stations with no news channel. As the weather was so bad, I did stay in the room a lot more than I'd anticipated.

Breakfast was very good, and the reception was always very helpful, even lending me bus money.

• Liked — Big, comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Lack of TV stations
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank joeyt28
Slovakia
Reviewed January 31, 2007

This hotel has a great location, walking distance to city centre or west end. Staff extremely friendly, accommodating and helpful with advice on what to do, where to go, etc. The room was clean, comfortable. The breakfast was delicious, fresh and cook to order to meet our requirements. If I come to Glasgow in the future, I will stay here again.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank imagyn
cheshire england
Reviewed January 28, 2007

We booked this hotel mainly because of its reviews on this site and its proximity to the Kelvingrove gallery. We felt very let down by our stay at this hotel, so unless this location is important to your visit I would look elsewhere, as I am sure you could do better. We requested a quiet room after some trip advisor members had noted that some rooms could be noisy. We were shown to what I can only describe as a overfurnished closet at the rear of the hotel overlooking a communal yard housing rubbish and recycling bins(more about this later!) The pleasant recepionist Dianne explained the room (No 21 AVOID AT ALL COST) was small but that this would be a quiet room, so a little reluctantly we accepted a very cramped room with too much furniture which was cheap and chipped and haphazardly placed at odd angles and certainly not big enough for a double bed ,( would have much better suited to a single bed).
There was hardly room to get into bed on the side nearest the window because a small sofa thing had been squeezed into the gap between bed and wall, heaven knows why. My husband had to do a sideway shimmy to get into the bed which was uncomfortable and obviously very cheap and the duvet was very thin and flat and barely covered the bed, the pillows were a similar story. I itched a lot in this bed and out of the three hotels we stayed in whilst in Scotland this was the only one that I experienced this in which also worried me.
I personally can forgive a lot of things in small hotels /B&Bs but a comfortable bed which is generously dressed should be a minimum requirement to recieve any recognition in grading systems, the hotel inspector obviously got a better bed than ours.
The bathroom was OK, a bit of mould but nothing too bad, with a extremely powerfull shower if you like that sort of thing, but I personally prefer not to be left with bright red pressure marks all over my body due to its close proximity in a small enclosure.
Oh well I hear you say, but you wanted quiet so did you get it? Well... it was a quiet room untill 6.50 am when we were awoken by the room being filled with bright flashing light and the sound of a very large rubbish truck reversing noisily into the previously mentioned yard just under our window, which preceded to load crashing glass from several recycling/rubbish bins untill 7.30 am. I kid you not, this actually happened and I can tell you it was extremely noisy when literally feet from your bed! Now forgive me if this seems a little picky but surely the hotel must know what day the refuse men collect, so why on earth put guests who specifically requested a quiet room and compromised by accepting possibly the most cramped room in the whole of Glasgow in a room directly over the said refuse collecion area? When we complained at check out, the bolshy girl on the reception (not Dianne who was extremely helpful) said it was totally out of the hotels control and it took the owner who overheard all this to agree to give a mean reduction on the room rate.
I feel the word 'mean' kind of sumed up the Kelvingrove, from the mean sized inadequate bedding to the breakfast which we felt was mediocre with its deep fried cheap sausage and one slice of bacon. I think for just a little more money, you could do much much better, I would definately not stay again.

Stayed January 2007
8 Thank Dreaming_of_Elysium
Crieff
Reviewed January 10, 2007

Friendly staff, extremely helpful. Brilliant location for concerts at SECC, which was purpose of our visit. For the price more than we expected.

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
Reviewed November 29, 2006

My wife and I recently attended a concert at the Scottish Exhibition Centre in Glasgow and after reading the reviews on your site decided to stay at the Kelvingrove Hotel in Sauchiehall Street. The hotel was within walking distance of the venue and the helpful staff recommended a nearby restuarant where we had a lovely meal. Rooms were clean and the breakfast the next morning was exceptional. Overall we got good value for money and will return when attending future concerts.

Stayed November 2006