All reviews west end city centre art gallery glasgow university triple room friendly hotel small hotel within walking distance bus stop minute walk family room sauchiehall st pubs and restaurants sse hydro excellent location comfortable room cooked breakfast
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I moved form a more expensive hotel to save money however I still wanted to be comfortable. This hotel offered very nice rooms, an excellent breakfast and clean friendly environment. Great location for visiting parts of Glasgow and walking distance to restaurants and evening activities. Good experience all around.

Trip type: Traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
robertmcq, Owner at Kelvingrove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

thank you for taking the time to review the kelvingrove

we are delighted that you had a comfortable stay .and tat the hotel was to your standard
and your freshly cooked breakfast ,was also enjoyable

i will pas on your kind comments to all the team and look forward to you once again
staying with us

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I really, really, really want to give the Kelvingrove Hotel 5 stars, really I do after having spent a week there in September 2019. Everything was excellent until....but I will get to that.

The front of house staff were delightful, truly I do not understand some of the negative comments. I found the two gentleman I interacted with to be gentlemen in their deportment, very knowledgeable about the local area and positively a pleasure. A lady served my breakfast one morning and was equally pleasant and helpful.

The breakfast was very good. A good selection of juices, yogurts, fruit, cereal, tea and a coffee machine making one cup of quite decent coffee at a time. The hot menu is cooked to order with your choice of egg, bacon, sausage, black pudding, hash browns, potato scones, toast etc. I enjoyed my freshly cooked breakfast five mornings in a row in a timely fashion and was well pleased.

Rooms: Okay, so the rooms might seem "dated" to some but I found them well-appointed, clean and very large for UK hotel rooms. Absolutely no complaints there at all.

Location: You could not ask for a better location to explore Glasgow. Finnieston is a great part of town, great selection of restaurants from South Indian to Spanish to Vegan to trendy. There are two late opening groceries and a Boots in the next block. You are a short distance by foot or transport to just about anywhere you want to visit. The Kelvingrove Art Gallery and the Hunterian Museum are ten minutes' walk. It is a really lovely area and felt very safe if you are a single traveler.

The downside was the plumbing in my room or, as I was told upon inquiry, the plumbing along the front of the hotel, I believe it is called a Saniflo but it sounded like an old fashion masticating toilet. When you or any of your neighbours runs the tap, flushes the toilet or runs the shower, the noise....OMG the grinding, grumbling noise is ungodly. I cannot stress enough how awful it was. WTF!? My room was on the front of the hotel in the semi-basement and again WTF THE NOISE! In my room, there was also a whiff of sewer gas when I ran the shower or flushed the toilet.

Ear plugs (obtained at the late night chemist around the corner) helped but as my female readers may appreciate, as a single woman travelling alone, I do not like to sleep in ear plugs, however, in this case they were necessary. One morning, three members of the adjacent room each had a 20 minute shower meaning that the noise went on for over an hour starting at 4.30 am. Imagine a cross between an old masticating toilet (if you have ever heard one of those) and the largest and most energetic mobile phone vibrating the room. Even with ear plugs it woke me up. If you don't believe me, I took a video.

Yes, I asked at the front desk but was told apologetically that it is an old building.... alas and alack, it wakes them up too. Which is not really what you want to hear when you have had about three hours sleep on a work trip. Arriving on a Sunday, by Tuesday morning I was near tears. When I asked about it again at the front desk, saying that I was desperate for sleep, again, I was told that they did not know why it happened and nothing could be done about it but that it seemed to only affect the rooms along the front of the hotel.

If you think this will bother you, please ensure you get a room at the back of the hotel. If you do, you will find this an excellent small hotel with many positive qualities. Unfortunately for me, room #12 was not one of them!

Room tip: A room in the back will ensure you can sleep peacefully.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business

thank you for taking the time to review the kelvingrove hotel

we are sorry that your sleep was broken with the sound of the toilet system
not all the rooms have this system .we still have just a few remaining and
are taking steps to rectify this issue

it was just unfortunate that we had no other rooms to move you during your stay other wise .we would have don this
on the first instance

once again please accept our apologise on this matter

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Joe (front desk) is the absolute best. Need to know a good restaurant, he has the info. Need to know where the best pub is, he has the info. Need travel advice, just ask. He is not a normal front desk worker, he is the perfect concierge!

Room tip: Joe (front desk) is the absolute best!
Trip type: Traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking time too review your recent stay with us, your kind comments shall be shared among the team,

I am sure joe - the manager will be thrilled that you found his knowledge about the local area to your suiting,

If your ever back in the west end of glasgow then we would love too welcome you back to the kelvingrove hotel

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A great location if attending a conference at the SEC. Very good restaurants close by and a nice walk to Buchanan street area.
The staff were so very supportive ( thanks Joe and the other gentleman for great service when requested).
Room was small but more than suitable for a single traveller. I had room 6 which was nice and quiet. Great price and more than suitable room!

• Trip type: Traveled on business

Thank you for taking time too review your recent stay with us.

Your kind comments shall be shared among the team and i am sure Joe will be thrilled too hear that his service was very supportive.

We are pleased you enjoyed the many aspects of your stay and if your ever back in glasgow then we hope to welcome you back

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I arrived at 8.30pm on a Thursday night to find the door to the hotel locked. I buzzed the buzzer expecting to be let in. No response despite seeing a member of staff at the desk a mere couple from yards from the door. I buzzed again, and again, and eventually was let in. I was promptly given a dressing down by the very harassed manager who told me that he couldn't open the door as he was checking people in. Why he couldn't excuse himself for 2 seconds is beyond me.

Furthermore I was holding a new born baby, luggage and had my 9 year old son with me too. They say first impressions are everything, well the first impression I got was to tell the ride manager to F off and go elsewhere...

The room was fine, a bit small and tatty in places but it was ok. The TV didn't work, all I could tune into was Magic radio. I have a Samsung TV at home so know my way around them, but it was lacking basic reception for any channels.

Breakfast is a hoot. The same grumpy manager was working, he can only take one order at a time as he has to then go to the kitchen and cook it, and return to serve it. I felt sorry for the poor guy who came in and tried to order a breakfast only to be barked at that it wasn't his turn in the queue. How the hell is he supposed to know there is a queue!?

I cannot believe this "hotel" runs with a staff of one. He is responsible for everything, serving, cooking, checking in/out. There were multiple rooms occupied. What makes it even worse is that the manager is grumpy and unfriendly under stress. And no wonder, I probably would be too tbh, I dont really blame him, he is trying his best but ultimately failing..

Overall, best avoided, as its a glorified Air B&B.

Date of stay: September 2019

Thank you for taking the time too review your recent stay with us.

The door too the hotel is always locked and sadly we dont have a door open button at the reception desk, I was checking in 2 guests and answering there questions when you continued pressing the buzzer to the door - it was dark so i had no idea you had a child with you - a bit of patience wouldnt have gone a miss considering i was with guests - i broke away from the guests who also stated you had clearly no patience and i let you in and explained why there was a delay in getting to the door.

I wish you had to me to F off as you wouldnt have stayed here as we take any kind of verbal abuse very seriously.

There was no mention to me regarding the TV - this would have been an easy fix if you had reported it at the time.

Breakfast is served over a 2 hour period but when everyone that was booked plus walk in guests all arrive at the same time , then yes it was stressful, I always try and serve any food correctly and at the correct temperature - any guest waiting has the whole of the continental buffet to use until there order is taken.

I am sorry you found me too be grumpy but I think this is a harsh statement as when you checked out we were both having a laugh at reception and I believe your words were - " you do a great job considering you are on your own" . I take all your points on board and i thank you for staying at our hotel