“Great Breakfast, Freezing rooms!”
Review of Kelvingrove Hotel

Kelvingrove Hotel
Ranked #66 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Great Breakfast, Freezing rooms!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Staff were very nice and helpful. The room was adequately clean, the bathroom had cracked tiles and some mildew, and was so very small. The bed cover was not even summer duvet standard, so I was freezing. Yes there was an oil radiator, but the central heating radiator should have been working, especially as the previous reveiws in Jan13 had already highlighted this!!! The heated towel rail did nothing in the bathroom either, hence didn't bother with a shower! Couldn't use the wardrobe as it was in the wong way round in an alcove! Booked the room based on well taken photos and description of victorian style rooms. More like basement Premier Inn rooms, not what I was expecting at all. The walls are also paper thin.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet, but don't be fooled by the room number provided on your booking ref...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
robertmcq, Owner at Kelvingrove Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
We are sorry your stay at the Kelvingrove was not as you expected. We would like to address some of the points you raised.
Duvets, all of our duvets are 13 tog rating.
The towel rail in the bathroom was not switched on, there is a switch outwith the bathroom which needs to be on for the towel rail to function.
We have checked the wardrobe and there is no problem opening the doors.
Although the building is over 100yrs old we have never described the Kelvingrove as being Victorian and the hotel is currently undergoing modernisation. Being of that age the walls are 12" thick.
Reference to room numbers on confirmation documents is a mystery as we do not give out room numbers prior to arrival, these are only given to guest's at check in.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Indonesian first
London
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I had booked a two night stay during the week (6th & 7th Feb).

On arrival, the gentleman on the front desk seemed friendly enough, albeit rather hurried.

On arriving in my room I noticed that the room was rather cool (not extremely cold, but not warm either) and that there was an oil heater in my room. The bathroom however had no heating at all and was very cold indeed. I went to the front desk and enquired whether there was a problem with the heating, to be told there was not, but they did not heat the whole hotel, all the time and that was why i had been given an oil heater. I reported that the bathroom was very cold and was told that they were unaware of this and an electrician would be called in the morning. I was offered another room, on the warning it may be cold as it had not had the oil heater on. However, it transpired that this room also had a very cold bathrom. I was rather put off by the manner of the chap on the front desk, who at that point was not particularly apologetic, seemed defensive and made me feel I was making a fuss over nothing. In fact I think his words were "I don't know what's wrong with the heating in the bathroom, I am not an electrician". It had been a very long day and I would have appreciated better customer service.

I resigned myself to staying, however the final straw was when I ran the water in the shower to find that there wasn't hot water. I ran the shower on hot for ten minutes to be sure of this. The water from the shower did not heat up, although the hot tap in the basin had hot water. I then checked out.

The chap on the desk was quite then quite apologetic and polite and helped me with a swift refund and offered to call me a taxi, which was kind of him. I found an alternative hotel on the same street which was of very good quality and was told that they recall one other guest previously checking into their hotel after a bad stay at the Kelvingrove due to problems with the heating.

I believe this is a fair review and I am happy to be contacted by the Kelvingrove if further feedback is required.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Ranmali
We are sorry you had a disappointing experience at the Kelvingrove.
With regard to the oil heater, this was tested, switched on and left for an hour and then the room temperature was taken, it was 70degrees, and the room was warm.
Unfortunately the towel rail in the bathroom was not working, this was repaired the following day by our maintenance team, our managers do not attempt to repair anything electrical as they are not qualified.
As you checked into one of the other hotels in the area who are our competitors it is hardly surprising that they would sympathise with you and make adverse comments about the Kelvingrove.
Glasgow
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We booked New Years Eve and hoped for a far better experience than we got. We got a basement room, which felt like a dungeon and when asking to change, we were told that the majority of the rooms are in the basement. We have a thing about basements, e.g., security, vermin, light, dampness problems. Breakfast was not that good and there was no bar or seating area, in fact it simply wasn't good enough and cannot possibly be classed as a Hotel. There was a terrible noise every time we ran the tap, like a pumping noise and there was an awful smell from the en-suite. We have had far better for less money in Glasgow and we would strongly advise folk to try one of the branded budget hotels in Glasgow, which offer far better value and standards than this independently run dump. Won't be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GlasgowRobert
robertmcq, Owner at Kelvingrove Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
We cannot identify which guest this is, of the 50 residents on Hogmanay only 9 had booked breakfast and having spoken to the Duty Manager she said she knew who had had breakfast and everything was fine, neither had anyone asked to move rooms for any reason, we are inclined to think this review is perhaps not genuine.
However to address the comments regarding our lower ground floor which is referred to as a dungeon, we take exception to this, your are giving the impression the rooms on this floor are rat infested, dark, damp rooms. This is very far from the case, lower ground flats or basement flats as they are sometimes called are a feature of the west end of Glasgow in particular, most of them are privately owned and sell for around £200,000 the owners would not appreciate having their property described as you did, neither do we. All the rooms on the lower level have full size windows, are safe and secure, dry and warm. You may have a personal opinion regarding basements, but that is all it is, a personal opinion. We do not advertise that we have a bar, we advertise as a Bed and Breakfast establishment, there is a seating area in reception and guest's are always welcome to sit in the dining room if they wish.
scotland
Reviewed December 17, 2012

The Kelvingrove is unashamedly a budget B&B city hotel. We booked it due to it being near the SECC for a Lionel Ritchie concert. It's within easy walking distance as long as you use the red painted covered footbridge over the motorway to get there. There was a problem when we arrived as Booking.com had made our reservation under my e-mail address rather than my name. Diane on the desk was initially thrown by this as it appeared we had no reservation. However, she booked us in to a vacant room at a £10 discount (£62 B&B for 2). She later phoned to let us know how the error had occurred. We were allocated room 23 which is at street level at the rear of the hotel. No noise at all from outside even though it was Friday night, though I was woken at 7.30am by the floor of the room above squeaking as the guests moved about.. The room was cold despite the radiator being on full. Diane again helped us by bringing an oil filled electric heater which did the job well. The bed was comfortable and we got a good nights sleep. There was a corner of the carpet next to the bed were the hoover head didn't fit that was covered in dust and fluff. In the morning we found that the bulb bad blown in the shaving mirror lamp and that the shower tray didn't drain quick enough and we finished our showers standing in a deep puddle. Otherwise the shower was fine. Plenty hot water. Both matters were pointed out to the staff. The breakfast was absolutely fine and on a par with other hotels of this grade we've stayed in. Well cooked traditional breakfast and plenty of it. As we were only in the room to sleep and dress the next morning the facilities were just what we needed. However without Diane being so attentive and helpful our stay would have been less satisfactory. A good bet for an overnighter after the SECC.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel away from the main road.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
robertmcq, Owner at Kelvingrove Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
I am glad that Diane responded so well to your requests, her colleague Stuart who would have been on duty if Diane had not would have done the same.
The confusion over the booking was outwith our control, as we only have the information from the booking agent's email. Both the dust in the corner of the room and the slow draining shower have been remedied.
Thank you for the positive comments also, we hope you will stay with us again.
aberdeen scotland
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Just had the 1 overnight stay here & can only say I was pleasantly surprised.
Due to the reason for the overnight stay a simple Bed & Breakfast was all that was required & thats exactly what we got.This place which is more of a guest house / B & B than a hotel does "what it says on the tin".
Very friendly reception on arrival & full information of the area regarding best curry house ( plenty of them) / bus No,s into town etc.
Rooms fairly small but clean & tidy, freeview T.V., Coffee / tea etc.portable electric heaters to back up the radiators if required.Bathroom good clean standard.
Adaquete full cooked "scottish" breakfast. Anyone wanting to be asked how they like they,re eggs done etc should perhaps take they,re chances in one of the larger "chain" hotels in the area, bearing in mind this hotel is approx. £30 / night which is excellent for the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Perth
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Given the pre-bookings reviews I'd read I thought we were fairly safe, i.e. clean and centrally located, and that was true. But breakfast was average and the shower cubical was cramped and institutional. The front desk staff along with the hotel owner could care less about hospitality. We loved Glasgow, but we will not stay in or recommend this hotel. There seemed to be plenty of other comparable places on the same street from which to choose.

Room Tip: Don't expect anything above the bare minimum.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We are not sure how to respond to this review, with no indication of which room or when the guest stayed we cannot begin to formulate a response. The comment regarding the owner of the business is puzzling as he was away mostly from September to December. Mr McQuade has always prided himself on the hospitality shown in his hotels and in each hotel there is a sign with the following:
I think there are a few basic rules of hospitality, for me the 1st is cleanliness, the 2nd is actually liking people and the 3rd is trying to put yourselves in your guesst's shoes.
All are signed by Mr McQuade and is the culmination of 25 years in the hospitality business. If the reviewer would care to respond with a legitimate complaint, we would be happy to answer it.
Edinburgh
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because of the location and easy access to SECC. The room was adequate and on the basement level.
But we had pre booked the breakfast, helped ourselves to the tea, coffee, cereal and fruit juice.
A young man asked if we wanted toast, one yes and one no replied.
We then waited and waited until eventually the same young man and an older woman came into the dining room and asked if we minded that sat and ate their breakfast there. We said ok, after a while we asked where was our breakfast, the woman replied that as we had not ordered any then they assumed we didn't want anything!! She continued with the fact the kitchen was now CLOSED and she could maybe do some eggs. She said the waiter had asked us and we refused to order anything, oh dear!
But the worst thing was we had asked her if there was a 'greasy spoon cafe' nearby and she actually gave us directions!! No word of any money back even though I have actually submitted a poor and definitive account of our stay to their management.
I have not recommended this hotel to any of my friends etc, there are many in the area who could give better service and in this economic climate it is not wise to treat customers this way.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple