“Good for the money”
Review of Kelvingrove Hotel

Kelvingrove Hotel
Ranked #63 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is a very well situated hotel, close to the SECC and the town center. It cost me £55 per night and this review takes into account that this was an inexpensive hotel.
The staff is friendly and helpful. However, the door is locked and staff only available for urgent issues overnight. You are given a front door key. The room has a small flat screen TV , kettle with coffee and biscuits and reasonably spacious. Bathroom petite but clean and adequate. There is excellent free WI-FI. My room was on the ground floor and at the front of the hotel. This had the advantage that I could keep an eye on my car which was parked outside, but the disadvantage that although a relatively quite part of town I was awoken by early morning revelers returning home. Bed was comfortable. I had booked room only but was offered a hot breakfast for an additional £8 which I took. This was very good value. There was a range of cereals and fruit, hot toast and most impressively and rare ( even in much more expensive hotels) a perfectly HOT cooked to order breakfast, with quite a wide range of choice. So certainly not the best hotel I have ever stayed in but one of the cheapest and best value. Would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel, preferably on an upper floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 21, 2012

When first entering the Hotel the reception looks very clean and very modern. But after heading down stairs to
Our room I couldn't believe my eyes the room decor was very dated. The access to the bathroom was dreadful!! There was a bedside cabinet blocking the door way as the door was small to begin with this gave you access of about half a foot! I had to get my partner to move the cabinet after I had stubbed my toes and nocked my shines. And to top it off the noise everytime you turned a tap on or flushed the toilet would wake the dead. The light also wasn't great and it felt a bit like a dungeon as we were in the basement. And the location of the television did not suit where the bed was situated in the room. On a brighter note the staff were lovely and location great as it was only around £4 in a taxi into the city centre.

• Stayed: September 2012
robertmcq, General Manager at Kelvingrove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the Kelvingrove Hotel.
To address your comments regarding the decor of the room, we have been refurbishing the hotel for the past 12 months and are now scored as one of the highest 3 star metro hotels in Glasgow by Visit Scotland. We still have a number of rooms to complete, one of which is the room you were allocated, your comments regarding the bedside cabinet have been taken on board and when the room is redone we have mad allowances for this and the bed and cabinets will be moved so that there is no obstruction to the bathroom door.
Robert McQuade Jnr

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Nicely located hotel with many restaurants and pubs nearby, and close to Kelvingrove Museum. Decent service, decent breakfast, smallish and oldish rooms, cramped up shower. Wi-fi was defective for entire 4-day stay. Overall, not bad but somewhat unimpressive, and pricey for what you get.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 17, 2012

The hotel was in a nice area, lots of restaurants very close, Kelvingrove Museum, Kelvingrove park, and University of Glasgow all within walking distance. Stayed in family room in the basement, it was enough room for us (parents and 2 grown kids, 22 & 24). Laura at reception was helpful. Breakfast was average at best.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Not happy with my stay here. Staff not very friendly. Hotel decor dull and my bedroom was poor value for money. Shower was inadequate for an adult. Breakfast was very basic, with poor selection of food. I would not recommend this hotel and i definately wont want to stay here again.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed a wednesday night as we were heading up to Ashton lane for the evening. I got a good deal on Trivago for £67 bed and breakfast. The room was compact and clean, and very close to some great pubs and restaurants. The breakfast was also lovely, would recommend it to anyone looking for a base in the west end.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We arrived at 9 a.m. on the early train. There was no-one at the desk as staff were serving breakfast and avoiding eye contact so we sat down to wait.
Eventually a man came in, glared at us and snapped, without a greeting or introduction, "You can't check in til 1. Put your luggage there." He continued to look daggers at us until we left.

The next morning we went down for breakfast at 9.30 The very small diningroom was full and I asked if there was anywhere else we could sit. Brusquely told to wait outside by the waitress. We did so and were ignored after that. Eventually other diners left and we got a table. No service for several minutes after which the table was ungraciously cleaned and reset. The staff seem very unhappy and the logistics are poorly managed leading to inefficiency.

The room was fine, the breakfasts good and Flora at Reception was friendly, helpful and accommodating but we would never return or recommend the place because of the bad attitude of the other staff.

• Stayed: July 2012
robertmcq, Owner at Kelvingrove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

We are sorry your experience on arrival at The Kelvingrove was not as you expected. Check in time is 1pm, and if guest's do arrive very early in the morning we ask them to leave their luggage with us and come back after 1pm.
On this occasion the response was obviously slower than you expected, unfortunately our manager was very busy with breakfast but did attend to you as soon as he could. Having confirmed your booking when you returned to the hotel your luggage was in your room waiting for you.
The breakfast service the next morning was also very busy, again with multiple guest's arriving at the same time necessitating a queue for tables for some.
Over the years we have had many good comments regarding our staff and how they go out of their way to help guest's, I am sorry that you did not feel that you had the same level of service.