“Great location”

City Apartments
Derby
“Great location”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

As a regular guest of the McQuade Group the City Apts was the only one I had not stayed at, now that I have I am glad to say that I can still recommend this group to anyone. The usual warm welcome, shown to a very nice large apt in the next door building. The apartment was spotless and the kitchen very well equipped with everything I needed. The underground station was so near I left the car at the apts, taking advantage of the parking vouchers available from reception (£4 for the day). I much prefer these small family run establishments where they take the time to get to know their guest's, keep up the good work!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
robertmcq, Owner at City Apartments, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
As you remarked we are a family run business and we do appreciate all our guests but we do like to build a rapport with our regular's of which we have many, so thank you for your kind remarks and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ireland
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Stayed in an apartment for three nights. 2 bedroom apartment with 2 single beds in each. One of the rooms contained a sofa and 2 armchairs and a small but well equipped ktchen to the side. rooms were clean and well maintained. jackie has switched oil filled radiators on in rooms prior to our arrival so rooms were warm. we could control these radiators ourselves so we had no complaint about cold rooms. We had breakfast each morning in the adjoining Albion Hotel which was very handy. 2 minutes walk away across the road is Kelvinbridge subway station which is a very handy transport system in glasgow. Plenty of good restaurants nearby in Great Western Road, Byres Road and arygll Street or in Glasgow city Centre. Jackie the duty receptionist in the Albion Hotel was very helpful and attentive. Free use of P.C in Albion Hotel.We will definately return to stay in these apartments.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Myself and two friends originally booked a triple room at the Kelvingrove Hotel, but we were moved to a triple-bed room in the City Apartments due to renovation works. While the room itself was fine and clean, and the building was fairly well located, it was EXTREMELY COLD. While it was cold outside (being January), there is no excuse for just how cold this room was. There were two very small movable heaters in the room that had clearly not been turned on until just before out arrival, so I assumed the room would heat up after a few hours. These did not sufficiently heat the large room, even after a whole afternoon on high, and the night was very uncomfortable. I was forced to wear 4 layers of clothing, and was unable to sleep because of being so cold. When I informed the women at reception next door of the problem, my news was greeted with some surprise, but without any offer of apology. I was not impressed.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
robertmcq, Owner at City Apartments, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Please accept our apologies for not replying to this review earlier, we have only lately realised that we had not in fact responded. When the review was originally posted we immediately tested the heating in that Apartment. The apartment was left empty overnight and the next day the heating was switched on at 1.00pm (check in time) at that point the thermometer we had placed in the room was reading 16 degrees. Upon checking 3/4 hr later the thermometer was reading 25 degrees. All our staff are aware that the heating should be switched on at least 2 hours prior to a guest's check in time and if we do not have an arrival time it is switched on at 1.00pm. However on investigating further we find that the heating was switched on only 15 mins before you arrived, which would not have been enough time to warm up the apartment.
The staff have all been reminded on the time frames for controlling the switch on of the heating.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Booked into the Albion Hotel, north Woodside road, Glasgow for seventeen days and all seemed fine although room was not too clean my wife used the hotel vacuum and sanitised all work surfaces, but after a couple of days we found ants coming out from behind one of the beds in room 1 in their city apartments next door which is part of the Albion hotel but not wanting to cause any fuss we bought our own spray and cleaned and vacuumed up ourselves.

Around day five or six I began to be very restless during the night and promptly developed some spots on my arms within the next 24hours, but again I thought it to be some sort of rash maybe due to the good summer we were having which I also put down to the very tired feeling I had when at work during the day.

But things got worse - bite marks all over my arms - last count around fifteen bits and a large one at the side of my neck, by then I had had enough and confronted reception staff (Stuart and then Pam) who told me that this is the first time this has ever happened and was very sorry and offered us another room but by now we are looking at bed sheets in the new room and straight away we found old empty bodies of bed bugs around the top of the bed and just under the pillows at the headboard including a nice layer of dust on all the surfaces that was quickly pointed out to staff.

By now I was very angry and was told that they do not have any more rooms available at this time and as we had only about a week to go before we moved into our new house I suggested that we would go back into room 1 and as I knew the room was clean from the cleaning time my wife had put in I thought that if we spray the beds with bug spray and vacuum the mattresses that would solve the problem (no cleaning staff available).

How wrong I was - during myself and my wife’s two hours of cleaning behind the headboards we found what looked like a nesting of live bed bugs, we quickly called for Pam to come and see our findings before we sprayed and vacuumed them, she asked my opinion if I thought this would solve our problem and I said It should but it didn't.

That night was terrible and we both had bad night and I left in the morning for work with instruction for my wife to again try and get this problem sorted. That afternoon I arrived just after a man kitted out in a tracksuit and along with a screwdriver and a spray bottle had just left, he claimed to be from the pest control company and took the headboards away which showed infestation and blood marks from the little bed bugs. I had asked for his company name as there was no signs on the old van that he had arrived in but was not given this information nor was I given the owners details and just told that any correspondence was via email as the owner was in London for a couple of days.

Enough was enough and we booked out and where charged for eight nights instead of ten and refunded for the other seven.

We had to book into another hotel for the remaining week which cost a small fortune and my wife had to go to the doctors where she was prescribed cetirizine hydrochloride tabs and betnovate cream to ease the itching and try and get the swelling down on the lumps - I have an appointment booked.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank beemac67
York
Reviewed April 10, 2010

Just returned from a 2 night trip to Glasgow, booked the apartment without readiing the reviews which did start to make me worry. I have to say some of the reviews are a bit harsh the apartment was clean, well presented and really well located. The keys are obtained from a nearby hotel less than 2 minutes walk away. Ideal for shopping in the city as shops are a short walk away and there are plenty of bars and restaurants very nearby. There is a late night supermarket for groceries open 6am -till late. I would certainly book to stay here again. There was a bit of noise but only from the buzz of the city nothing from within the building.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2007

These appartments are run by the Albion Hotel next door and are in the ground floor of I guess a converted town house in the West End of Glasgow. The Subway (underground train) station is located at the end of the street so getting in and out of the city centre is very easy.

I booked a Studio room, and was given an appartment with two twin beds in the main living room. It had an older style Asda 21" TV and Freeview box, which stopped working on the morning I checked out. The furnature was a little dated but in reasonable order.

The bathroom appeared to to kept clean and the tiles were shiney, the shower was an electric one. There was no bath, and only an electrical wall mounted fan heater so the bathroom was very cold all the time.

There is no central heating in the appartment, two portable stand alone electric radators of the oil type were supplied and plugged in. It got very cold and they were not up to the job. The very old period style high ceilings gobbled the heat.

The kitchen was functional if not a little dated, a basic single oven Beko non fan slot in cooker was provided. Cheap plastic white kettle and toaster and fairly old microwave. No dishwasher or laundry facilities in the appartment. There was a laundry room next door. Plenty of pans and utensils but clearly not checked over before issued to me, there was a broken glass in the cupboard, dirty mugs, and crusty looking shelf.

Both the kitchen and the bathroom had noisy extractor fans which couldnt be turned off seperate from the lights.

Now I've mentioned all these electrical appliances, shower, heating etc ... what is not mentioned in any of the booking websites if you have to pay for the electricity on top of your room rate. The is a pound coin meter under the sink, that added about 6 pounds a day on top as I used so much to try and keep warm. It failed I got the flu.

The general decor in places was poor. Cobwebs, patchy ceiling, exposed cables, careless application of paint, doors that did'nt fit, and loose cupboard door.

There is no parking except in the streets around the hotel.

These in my view are not four star material as advertised, they are however cheap and chearfull.

• Liked — easy access for travel
  • Disliked — its not 4* standards as advertised
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank 504gld
London, UK
Reviewed August 17, 2006

We were pleasantly surprised by the City Apartments. Although not quite ready when we arrived, when we were finally let in we had been allocated a 2 bed apartment instead of a one bed. It had smart neutral decor - a little bland but perfectly clean. There was a small kitchen area with huge fridge, microwave, kettle, dishwasher and washing machine. This led on to a small living/ dining area complete with leather sofa and vast TV (with playstation). The bathroom was clean and towels and toiletries were provided. This was excellent value for money - we booked through Expedia and it was about £50 for 2 people for the night. A good choice for the business traveller or Glasgow tourist.

• Liked — Could have a lie in as no pressure to get up for breakfast!
  • Disliked — bland decor and a bit noisy at night
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank MollyandTony