“Cute and quirky"”

Cathedral House Hotel
Ranked #78 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed June 27, 2011

This would be the perfect place for some travelers, such as the friend who recommended it to me. I stayed here for 5 nights recently on his advice. As you enter the hotel, some might be a little taken aback because you actually walk into the pub on the ground floor and the reception desk is almost hidden in the far corner. That said, everyone who works at the hotel including the reception desk was very friendly and helpful and the pub is a nice place to hang out, with free wi-fi, and pretty good pub food. My room was typical for a boutique UK hotel - smallish with an eclectic assortment of furniture and a made-over bathroom in what is a very old and interesting building. The good things: fresh white bedding, windows that open, very clean, good towels and bathroom toiletries, and free Internet, although low connectivity was sometimes a problem. Breakfast, included in the reasonable rate, was great - lots of choice and served in a really pleasant room, with newspapers provided for morning reading.There is also a small parking lot. The main issue on the down-side is the stairs. It's like staying in a lighthouse, with twisting stairs and no lift. I think if i had asked, someone would have carried my suitcase but no one offered. There was a lot of noise from outside traffic, as the hotel sits on a main road. The other issue for a single woman traveler like me is the location. I really liked the great view out of my window of the Glasgow Cathedral and the monument-rich Necropolis (both well worth visits), but the hotel is in the East End of the city and I was advised not to walk alone at night. In the day-time, no problem walking to the centre of town in about 15 or 20 minutes, all downhill. There's a bus-stop right outside the hotel, though, and it was less than 5 pounds to take a cab from just about anywhere in the centre of town. So if you are in a group or young and strong and on a budget, this is a great place for you while visiting Glasgow!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed June 16, 2011

Now, I had seen this lovely building a number of times and always wanted to visit and if I liked it, I planned to put people up here who would be visiting for a wedding.
So, we had a lovely time visiting Glasgow Cathedral and Provands Lordship and headed over to the Cathedral House Hotel for lunch.
BTW, there is an equestrian statue of King William III of Orange in the precincts around here, very unusual to find a statue of King Billy, I don't even think many Glaswegians know its here.
Anyway, as I said, beautiful building from the outside. The inside is a medium sized bar area which seems to attract a few locals who sat around chatting and looking very odd. It's not welcoming in the slightest . One of the staff members ignored us completely and we took a table upstairs where we sat again ignored for maybe 10 minutes while the staff chatted and banged about downstairs. Eventually we were noticed and after another age ordered dinner, a steak for me and steak pie for my loved one. The drinks were Diet Coke and they were draught, not good at the best of times but the syrup had run out, so we just got carbonated brown water really.
The guy who served us was...my words fail! On arriving at the table, he went off on one, talking to himself and gesticulating. i think he thought he was being wacky. He was just wierd and annoying. I didn't get his name but he was Australian. While we waited about half an hour for the meals, he and his accomplice banged all the cutlery collections about and dragged chairs around, the noise was really ridiculous. I almost asked them to stop, but I didn't. Of course, after being ignored, served rubbish diet coke, served by some oddball and then waiting an age in all the cacophany, the dinners eventually arrived.
WELL!!!
He put down the plate in front of my fiancee. Now, please remember this was after waiting half an hour with all of the above happening. It was supposed to be steak pie and it look like someone had taken a number 2 on the plate. Absolutely revolting. The pastry was a frozen disk that hadn't cooked and still he served it to us. I honestly couldn't believe it they would serve this crap and that I had been waiting all this time for this garbage.
I told him to take both meals back and that we had had a terrible experience.
Absolutely atrocious. And it's a terrible shame. It's such a lovely building from the outside but the inside is a dump with absolutely woeful staff who should be fired immediately. They need to replace the staff and do up the bar and it could be a little goldmine but really it's an absolute dump.

Room Tip: go somewher else - avoid this place
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cartagia
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Traveling with a friend we stayed here our first two nights in Glasgow. Great location across from the cathedral and necropolis (two of the best sights in Glasgow) and we were lucky to have a great view of the cathedral right out our window. I don't remember the room number but it was top floor, last room down the hall. The bedroom was nice but the ensuite bathroom, although huge, felt unfinished (exposed plywood) and below standards of the rest of the place). Unfortunately the wifi didn't really extend to the top floor so I only had spotty coverage in the room (full coverage in the downstairs bar so I just went down there). Breakfast was fine but not particularly memorable (good views from the breakfast room ). We both enjoyed the charm of the old architecture and winding spiral staircase but this is definitely not for everyone. Sounds does travel through this place so keep this in mind if you are a very light sleeper. Also, location was great for us but a little out of the center. We had to walk a bit to get to food/entertainment that appealed.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Globetrotter2125
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Having not found many B&B's in Glasgow close to downtown I found Cathedral House Hotel's website. There weren't many pictures on the website (which I'm usually a stickler for) but the reviews weren't all bad and it looked quite charming. Who wouldn't want to stay in an historic building with great history? Well, I wish I hadn't. We dropped off our luggage in the morning (which was much appreciated) and were told our rooms would be ready any time after 2pm. No problem! When we got back to the hotel later that afternoon we were told our rooms were ready but that there were no duvet covers on the bed yet (they were expecting them by 3:30pm) so they would make our beds up when the covers arrived. Again, no problem! We sat at the quaint bar downstairs for an hour or so and then couldn't wait any longer...we had to go up to our rooms...we'd been on the go since 6:00am. Well, being an historic buiding there is no elevator which I was completely aware of, especially after reading the reviews on this site. What I was not expecting was to climb up 3 flights of winding concrete. Just be aware that there are 45 steps up to the floor that the rooms are on...winding steps. Thankfully the guy working that day took our bags up for us...sadly that guy works hotel reception, is the bartender, and the waiter for the restaurant. So if he's busy you're out of luck. My Dad's room #3 was quite small and there are no curtains on the wondows, only pale pull down blinds that don't keep the light out. My room (#4 Cathedral room) was huge with heavy curtains but it was obvious it had not been cleaned. There was dirt and lint all over the floor and carpet. As well as liquid stains of some sort on the tv and mirror. I was so upset by the state of these rooms I cried for a good half an hour. Sadly I couldn't call down to complain because none of the phones in the rooms were working. So trying to put all of that aside we went out for the day to get away from the rooms for as long as we could. When we got back later that evening the beds still had not been made up (this is now 7:45pm) I went down the 45 stairs to inquire about the beds but was only told not to give up! Well, I gave up. Sadly at 10:45pm I was woke up by a crowd singing and laughing...I knew it couldn't be the bar downstairs because it's 2 floors away. Well, it turns out they rent the restaurant room out for functions, which is right below room #4. I went downstairs to complain about the noise at which point I was asked if the beds finally got made up. When I said no the guy didn't believe me and said he'd be right up to make them. I laughed increduously as it was 11:00pm and I wasn't waking my father up so someone could make the bed. I asked about the party and was told they had the room rented until midnight..FANTASTIC!!!!!! I laid there unitl 12:15am listening to kareoke carry on below me...at which point it didn't necessarily get quieter as they all filed out of the room and down the stairs (it's all concrete and echoes) laughting and yelling, oblivious to the people actually paying to sleep there. AND THEN I listened to whomever drag tables across hardwood floors trying to clean up and get the room ready for breakfast the next morning.
The hotel is in a fantastic location, as downtown is only a 10-15 walk away and the Cathedral and Necroplois are literally right across the street, but it is also in quite a busy area and as the windows are original the traffic noise was deafening at times. Keep that in mind if you're a light sleeper as I am. And don't think you can drown out the noise with the TV as the hotel only gets 5 channels...don't think you're going to stay in for an evening to relax (there are no comfy chairs to sit in anyway) Sadly, the louder you turn up the TV the more you distrub the other guests. My father was down a short hallway from me and I could hear everytime he coughed and sneezed...and I definately had to tell him to turn down the TV.
Keep in mind this is only the first night we stayed...I booked for 2 nights...I was afraid of what was to come. The only thing that saved our stay there was a young man working the bar/restaurant/reception the second day. I didn't quite catch his name fully but I believe it was Deaclon (on duty the eveving of June 4th). He was kind, and gracious and a lot of fun to sit and chat to while we sat at the bar and had a few drinks. He was the ONLY good thing about staying here. In general, the service was horrible, the rooms were horrible, and the breakfast was less than great. And I haven't even mentioned the mold in the showers...well I guess I have now.
I understand that this is a very old building (built in 1896) and none of my complaints really have anything to do with that. If you're going to charge people $57.50 you better clean the rooms and offer them beds that are made...and maybe put some curtains on the windows.
GIVE DEACLON(?) A RAISE AND LOWER YOUR PRICES!

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank TLB05
Reviewed May 30, 2011

My wife and I only had one night in Glasgow, mostly because we had been told it did not deserve more time. I could not disagree more. Glasgow is a fun and vibrant city worthy of two nights for the nightlife and fun people alone.

Anyway, we found the Cathedral House on trip advisor and just loved the fact that it offered views of the necropolis and Glasgow Cathedral. This is a quirky little hotel that is a converted cathedral/halfway house. The rooms are accessible via a winding narrow staircase (no lift) and feels like you are staying in the bell tower of a church. They are very nice, quaint little rooms with a bathroom en suite. The location is right across from the Necropolis, which is the coolest tourist attraction in Glasgow. It is also walking distance to the Merchant City area of Glasgow, which has a fun and vibrant nightlife. We had a great time in Glasgow. Another note, the hotel is easy to find because of it's location and easy access to the freeways, which was good for us since our SatNav crashed on us before we got to Glasgow. We just followed the signs for the Cathedral district and voila. There is also a small parking lot for guests, and the bar/restaurant was awesome.

We must say that despite what some reviewers have said the service was excellent. The front desk was very helpful and the service in the restaurant was friendly and extremely efficient. Best service in Scotland. Plus, the food was simply superb.

Overall, this is a quirky little hotel with great service, an excellent location and is a great place to stay while in Glasgow. And for the record, Glasgow is a friendly and fun city to visit.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Just returned from a weekend in Glasgow with husband and 4 close friends and chose this hotel after reading such good reviews. We were not disappointed. It's quirky, atmospheric and a lovely change from the big anonymous hotel chains. Okay, there's no lift, but it's no big deal (and I've not long had a knee operation!) and the individuality of the hotel more than compensates for any lack of modern amenities. On arrival we joined our friends for a drink in the cosy bar to find later that all our bags had been whisked up to our rooms - without needing to ask. We had the cathedral room and it was fine:warm, clean and comfortable with an amazing view of the cathedral.
The staff and service were excellent. Dave, the Australian Duty Manager, was efficient but also very friendly, as were they all. Breakfast was delicious, freshly cooked and plentiful. The Friday night we stayed in and ate at the hotel. The meal was of a high
standard - all 6 of us enjoyed our choices and the bill, even with several bottles of very good wine, was most reasonable.
Agreed, it's not right in the centre, but it's only a 10 minute walk from the Merchant City and the hop-on/off bus tour stops only 2 minutes from the hotel. What more can you ask? Actually, we all liked the area where it;s located; it was interesting, historic and felt perfectly safe.
All in all, we thoroughly recommend this hotel and cannot understand the odd (mercifully few) adverse reviews that were posted here. Go - and judge for yourselves!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank lizhewlett
Reviewed January 14, 2011

We work nearby and decided to go to the bar in the hotel for lunch. We ordered steak pie for 3 to be told they only had one left (this wasn't the first time this happened). The steak pie was okay but the chips were reheats. We waited 45 minutes for the food to come. The staff are pleasant enough. The food was edible. The soft drinks were watered down. And it wasn't cheap - over £30 for one course each. Sorry, but won't be returning.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends