“Let down by the service”
Review of The Saint on Bath Street - CLOSED

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 29, 2012

The food was fine but the service was so slow and gave the impression we were an inconvenience rather than customers!

Reviewed December 27, 2011

My husband and I treated ourselves to a voucher for Afternoon Tea at the Intoxicating Tea Rooms within The Saint on Bath Street. To begin with, we entered using the hotel entrance and were greeted warmly then directed to a staff stairwell to access the basement restaurant. Here, were were greeted as if we were aliens, would a smile and a welcome have been too mnuch to ask for? I don't know if the staff have been told to dress like night club hostesses but they all seemed to be so distracted fixing their outfits and hairdos that paying any attention to customers was a trifle too much to manage. Indeed 'do you have your vouchers' came before any semblance of a greeting.
We were shown to a table which needed to be cleaned and which we asked to move from because it was under a speaker and very loud. Some nice background music for Afternoon Tea would have been nice, if I had wanted to go to an afternoon night club I wouldn't have bought a voucher for Afternoon Tea. The second table was also in need of a good scrub. We were offered tea and coffee, which we ordered. We were then presented with pink prosecco which was served in lovely glasses and with a strawberry garnish and then we were presented with the cocktail menu, which we declined; my husband was driving and 2pm is too early even by my cocktail standards. We were then offered tea or coffee. Somewhat confused since the same girl had offered us tea or coffee less than 10 minutes prior, we ordered a tea and a coffee...
The offerings of the Afternoon Tea were poor; the sandwich selection was 2 fingers each of cucumber or egg mayo or meat paste of some description. The tray bakes were no larger than a 50 pence coin, and the scones were also in miniature, at least I think they were scones.
The ladies toilets, at 2pm on a Friday afternoon, were shamefully badly maintained. Of the 4 cubicles 1 was fillthy, 1 had no light, 1 was out of order and 1 was in service.
The whole restaurant, bar and toilet areas need to be thoroughly cleaned and the staff including whoever is responsible for the food we were served (as beautifully presented as it was) ought to venture across to Blythswood Square Hotel to see how Afternoon Tea should be served.
Needless to say, we won't be going back to the Intoxicating Tea Rooms again in a hurry.

1  Thank mckaykarenj
Reviewed December 23, 2011

It wasn't busy... almost empty in fact. The beer was good, waitressing was good... but when you order two steaks medium rare - and they come out well done... you know there is something fundamentally wrong.

To be fair they offered to make us new steaks - but we were starving so just battled through with the ones we had.

In the end we got 2 free beers... but i still rate it as poor. Anywhere that sells steak should know how to cook steak. Simples.

Reviewed December 19, 2011

I had high expectations of this restaurant after viewing their website and menu. However, I was very disappointed.

One the night we visited, we were, in fact, the only people in the restaurant. Despite this, service was very very slow. The 4 members of staff on duty appeared to prefer to chat at the bar than look after their customers. We waited over 10 mins before our drinks orders were taken, and later, waited over 15 mins for our empty plates to be cleared.

The food, too, was awful. The presentation was nice, but everything lacked seasoning and flavour. Also, the items on our plates were either under or over-cooked. For example, I ordered the fillet of beef encased within a brioche. This was charred black on the underside. Considering the cost of our meal, I feel that this was completely unacceptable.

At around 9.30pm, we were having our coffee at the end of the meal and staff began stacking chairs around us. Such a rude way of letting your customers know that you would like to close early!

Would not recommend!!

1  Thank EDBGlasgow
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Certainly did not live up to Groupons description. Before we even sat down, girl asked for vouchers in a rude manner. Sandwich fillings certainly were not fresh. Cakes were tasteless. Not sure there was any alcohol in cocktails. Prosecco was nice. Felt this was a bit of a con. Would never go back. Surroundings were pretty awful

1  Thank christineg98