“Excellent Lunchtime venue”

The Brasserie at the Ubiquitous Chip
Ranked #208 of 2,590 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Floating on the mezzanine overlooking the main restaurant at The Ubiquitous Chip, The Brasserie offers inventive and wholesome bistro-style dining with the same integrity and commitment to good quality food as the main dining area. Set over the top level of The Chip and offering everything from all day brunch at the weekend, quick midweek lunches and leisurely evening dinners, The Brasserie menu is as diverse as it's surroundings. Like the original restaurant opened back in the 1970s, The Brasserie at the Ubiquitous Chip is on a mission to keep Scottish food and Scottish producers firmly on the culinary map. Using nasturtiums and tomatoes grown on our own mezzanine, Inverurie beef, Seil Island crab, Loch Melfort mussels and Ramsay's of Carluke's pork belly - we offer you the best of what Scotland has to offer in a magical space.
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Brasserie was quite quiet so we had excellent service. Good selection on menu - several traditional Scottish dishes with a novel twist. Waitress was able to give some good hints on what we might want to try - I ended up with a haggis dish which was really good. Have been in the courtyard restaurant several times but was trying the Brasserie for the 1st time. Not particularly cheap compared to surrounding restaurants but the quality of the food makes it worth the extra cost.

Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

As a local who eats and drinks in The Chip relatively regularly, I was really disappointed to receive what can only be described as rude service at Sunday brunch. The Maître d' was lovely and I have no complaints with regards to her, the food was lovely although a bit slow but I was more than happy to wait. On waiting for a waiter to have a spare moment for me to ask for the bill (as I had to get away on time) I received a patronising response/facial expression telling me he was 'just coming'. I do not expect to go to a local establishment in which I frequently spend money to feel belittled and small. I couldn't be bothered making a fuss and realise that waiting staff are over stretched and stressed however part of the role involves remaining professional and calm during a busy service. Really disappointing, left feeling patronised and embarrassed.

2  Thank cj5891
Reviewed November 26, 2013

The Brasserie had been recommended by our hotel concierge. It was Saturday so I called and was told we could not get in, there were no tables available for that evening. We went anyway to see if we could get in on a standby basis. No problem, we were given a table after a short wait and had a very good dinner. We even tried the venison haggis because we were in Scotland and found it very good.So I recommend giving it a try and hopefully you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I normally only have brilliant things to say about this restaurant as we normally have a lovely meal. The service and atmosphere are highly rated but unfortunately the food and as a result, the overall feeling of the night is not. I feel horrible from what happened and I think the customer should never leave the restaurant feeling anything less than satisfied.

My husband and I had a three course meal each with a bottle of wine - I ordered a steak, medium rare. When the steak came, it looked perfectly cooked. As I tried to cut the steak with a fair amount of force, I questioned the quality of meat. Then the taste - best comparison was definitely liver with a hint of fish. I could barely chew as it was very tough especially for a medium rare steak. Only had 3 bites, one of which my husband had to taste so I asked the waitress for something else. Once the bill came, the steak charge remained. We questioned the waitress who said her manager looked at the steak and said 'we cut it open and we both agreed it was fine'. We then asked to speak to the manager to explain the taste and texture of the steak was the issue. The manager herself, was incredibly patronising and unfriendly with crossed arms and reluctant to even listen to our story. She 'decided the steak was fine and it's not their fault of the texture and taste' unwilling to take any responsibility. Almost pressuring us to still pay for the steak, I then said we will pay just to avoid the embarrassment. She eventually removed the charge albeit reluctantly.
I have never left a restaurant feeling so horrible. I am not one to complain, but felt a highly recommended restaurant could accommodate a reasonable ask. As the customer, I should have never been made to feel guilty about complaining. We're not annoyed about the steak - these things happen even in the very best restaurants. We're annoyed at being questioned and then having our initial explanation completely rejected.
Our waitress was fantastic so we tipped her accordingly.
Will we go back? Sure, but not for food!

2  Thank Adraymurt
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Having read other reviews i'm wondering if i just went to The Brasserie at The Ubiquitious Chip on an off-day. I ate there on a Sunday night, unplanned and quite accidental based on a recommendation by a taxi driver. He told it was one of Glasgow's best restaurants and that we were sure to not be disappointed. The setting itself was lovely, tucked off a little pedestrian cobbled street. We were seated on a mezzanine floor, overlooking diners below and enjoying the twinkle of fairy lights. We ate quite late so didn't go for the whole 3 courses - I had a venison terrine type starter (which seems to no longer be on the menu, so hoping i've remember that right) which was very very tasty indeed, followed by pan friend salmon with beetroot gnocchi, smoked yoghurt, wilted red chard and horseradish oil. The salmon was fabulous and some of the best cooked fish i've had for a while, but the beetroot gnocchi was horrible and just a soggy pink mess on the plate ( i likened it to cotton wool) and the other accompaniments didn't really add much to it. My fellow diner had the mussels to start (which were wolfed down in minutes) followed by haggis, neaps and tatties. Normally i'll try just about anything but i can honestly say the haggis had no appeal to me. Prices seemed pretty reasonable. The wine was pretty mediocre and we left about half the bottle instead choosing to have more drinks in the pub just across the road. Service was good, a bit too attentive with some waitresses doubling up asking the same questions, but overall it was good. Not sure i'd rush to go back, but from what others have told me (and the very enthusiastic taxi driver who took us there in the first place) it's said to be one of Glasgow's best. Guess it's up to you to decide if it lives up to the title. Not sure i can believe it myself.