“Delicious Food in a Great Atmosphere”

The Brasserie at the Ubiquitous Chip
Ranked #272 of 2,389 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: British, Scottish, European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Floating on the mezzanine overlooking the main restaurant at The Ubiquitous Chip, The Brasserie offers inventive and wholesome bistro-style dining with the same integrity and commitment to good quality food as the main dining area. Set over the top level of The Chip and offering everything from all day brunch at the weekend, quick midweek lunches and leisurely evening dinners, The Brasserie menu is as diverse as it's surroundings. Like the original restaurant opened back in the 1970s, The Brasserie at the Ubiquitous Chip is on a mission to keep Scottish food and Scottish producers firmly on the culinary map. Using nasturtiums and tomatoes grown on our own mezzanine, Inverurie beef, Seil Island crab, Loch Melfort mussels and Ramsay's of Carluke's pork belly - we offer you the best of what Scotland has to offer in a magical space.
Oklahoma City
“Delicious Food in a Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

The Brasserie had been recommended by our hotel concierge. It was Saturday so I called and was told we could not get in, there were no tables available for that evening. We went anyway to see if we could get in on a standby basis. No problem, we were given a table after a short wait and had a very good dinner. We even tried the venison haggis because we were in Scotland and found it very good.So I recommend giving it a try and hopefully you won't be disappointed.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Are customers always right?”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I normally only have brilliant things to say about this restaurant as we normally have a lovely meal. The service and atmosphere are highly rated but unfortunately the food and as a result, the overall feeling of the night is not. I feel horrible from what happened and I think the customer should never leave the restaurant feeling anything less than satisfied.

My husband and I had a three course meal each with a bottle of wine - I ordered a steak, medium rare. When the steak came, it looked perfectly cooked. As I tried to cut the steak with a fair amount of force, I questioned the quality of meat. Then the taste - best comparison was definitely liver with a hint of fish. I could barely chew as it was very tough especially for a medium rare steak. Only had 3 bites, one of which my husband had to taste so I asked the waitress for something else. Once the bill came, the steak charge remained. We questioned the waitress who said her manager looked at the steak and said 'we cut it open and we both agreed it was fine'. We then asked to speak to the manager to explain the taste and texture of the steak was the issue. The manager herself, was incredibly patronising and unfriendly with crossed arms and reluctant to even listen to our story. She 'decided the steak was fine and it's not their fault of the texture and taste' unwilling to take any responsibility. Almost pressuring us to still pay for the steak, I then said we will pay just to avoid the embarrassment. She eventually removed the charge albeit reluctantly.
I have never left a restaurant feeling so horrible. I am not one to complain, but felt a highly recommended restaurant could accommodate a reasonable ask. As the customer, I should have never been made to feel guilty about complaining. We're not annoyed about the steak - these things happen even in the very best restaurants. We're annoyed at being questioned and then having our initial explanation completely rejected.
Our waitress was fantastic so we tipped her accordingly.
Will we go back? Sure, but not for food!

2 Thank Adraymurt
northwich
“Sunday night mediocrity in the 'must go' restaurant”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Having read other reviews i'm wondering if i just went to The Brasserie at The Ubiquitious Chip on an off-day. I ate there on a Sunday night, unplanned and quite accidental based on a recommendation by a taxi driver. He told it was one of Glasgow's best restaurants and that we were sure to not be disappointed. The setting itself was lovely, tucked off a little pedestrian cobbled street. We were seated on a mezzanine floor, overlooking diners below and enjoying the twinkle of fairy lights. We ate quite late so didn't go for the whole 3 courses - I had a venison terrine type starter (which seems to no longer be on the menu, so hoping i've remember that right) which was very very tasty indeed, followed by pan friend salmon with beetroot gnocchi, smoked yoghurt, wilted red chard and horseradish oil. The salmon was fabulous and some of the best cooked fish i've had for a while, but the beetroot gnocchi was horrible and just a soggy pink mess on the plate ( i likened it to cotton wool) and the other accompaniments didn't really add much to it. My fellow diner had the mussels to start (which were wolfed down in minutes) followed by haggis, neaps and tatties. Normally i'll try just about anything but i can honestly say the haggis had no appeal to me. Prices seemed pretty reasonable. The wine was pretty mediocre and we left about half the bottle instead choosing to have more drinks in the pub just across the road. Service was good, a bit too attentive with some waitresses doubling up asking the same questions, but overall it was good. Not sure i'd rush to go back, but from what others have told me (and the very enthusiastic taxi driver who took us there in the first place) it's said to be one of Glasgow's best. Guess it's up to you to decide if it lives up to the title. Not sure i can believe it myself.

• Visited November 2013
“This restaurant lives up to the hype!”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

The brasserie offers outstanding food at a great price! I had the beef stovies as a starter: yummy! For the main, I had the Chargrilled Aberdeen Angus rump steak,
hand-cut chips, and garlic sauce: probably the best meal I had in Glasgow!

• Visited October 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Tasty meal”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Visited without booking. Taken straight to the table which was nicely located overlooking the restaurant downstairs.
Service was very good, chatty, informal but informative.
Ordered 2 glasses of champagne to start, they were slightly flat and when we informed the waitress she changed these straight away.
Food was well presented and delicious. Also had a great bottle of wine.
Its not cheap, but you pay for what you get.
Will most definitely be back.

• Visited October 2013