“Little gem in Glasgow!”

Ranked #40 of 2,510 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Opium specialises in oriental fusion cuisine, offering a mix of traditional Dim Sum and fusion dishes. We're open everyday and look forward to welcoming you here at 191 Hope Street. Located in the heart of Glasgow city centre, Opium is great for a working lunch or to catch up with friends. As night falls our interior transforms, it's perfect for an intimate dinner or a celebration with family and friends.
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is the second visit here and it's fantastic. Food is absolutely delicious and the service is efficient. The wines are lovely and reasonably priced as are the cocktails. The place has a modern decor and the lightening is good. Would definately recommend this place.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

My wife and I ate here recently having seen the reviews on TripAdvisor. We like oriental food and thought the menu at Opium looked interesting, different and creative. It was good to see that the restaurant was busy even on a Tuesday evening and although service was a little slow, the staff were working really hard and efficiently; they were attentive without being intrusive and helped us choose from the menu. We also liked the modern and understated decor of Opium.

We ordered prawn crackers (delicious), Crab Meat & Chive Dumplings, Spare Ribs in Blackbean Sauce, Crispy Duck Roll and Satay Won Ton from the Dum Sums followed by Thai Red Snapper, Malay Satay Chicken and Thai Chilli Beef accompanied by rice.We liked that the starters were all served at once followed by the mains and really enjoyed everything; yes spoons and chopsticks were on the table to eat with, but knives and forks were available if you asked for them. We quite liked the challenge of eating with the chopsticks and had great fun with them. When all else failed we used our fingers! We're not experts or connoiseurs on oriental or fusion style food but we liked the flavours and enjoyed our meal very much.

Maybe we were one of the many couples on the same Tuesday night that the previous reviewer Heather N from London was in - we also noticed that at least four of the tables were couples when each of the tables could have seated four people. I'm sure the restaurant would prefer to have full tables of four instead of couples but we're just thankful they accepted our booking as a couple which allowed us to have a really enjoyable evening. Perhaps Heather from London needs to chill out and relax, sit back and smell the 'coffee' so to speak.

1  Thank Islandwanderers
Reviewed September 2, 2012

On arrival at Opium I was encouraged by the stylish exterior, but disappointed to see paper napkins and no tablecloths. We were five minutes early for Sunday lunch and the restaurant was empty. This was no problem to our host who was quietly charming and discreetly attentive.Other customers soon arrived, a couple of whom were clearly regulars.
Three of us shared duck spring rolls, chicken dumplings and fried spare ribs to start. The dumplings arrived in their own woven steamer and were juicy and sweet. The ribs melted in the mouth. We followed these with a selection of rice and noodle main courses and a bottle of wine. This is not cheap chinese food but the quality is great and its excellent value for money. I can't wait to go back and try the other dim sum.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

One of the problems with writing reviews, is that if you have a negative experience after high expectations, it is hard then to be objective. As this Asian fusion restaurant was well reviewed in Trip Advisor and winner of the “Best Chinese Restaurant award in Glasgow” for 2012 my husband and I thought we were on to a winner, and were looking forward to an exotic and opulent meal in pleasant surroundings.

Unfortunately this was the first disappointment. My husband having dined at upmarket Asian restaurants in Japan, Singapore, Malaysia and Taiwan was not impressed with the the décor which was decidedly uncomfortable. Typical minimalist colour scheme in black, grey and pine with no sound absorption resulting in an acoustically very bright room. The tables were well spaced. There was no table linen and the napkins were paper? Chopsticks were provided at each place setting.

The atmosphere on entry was quite pleasant, the lighting was not overly bright, providing areas of shadow. We were seated at a table for 4 by a window with a view onto the street. We noted that the pop music playing in the background, although not to our taste, was loud but not overpowering.

As it was early evening, the restaurant was not busy consequently the service was quick and the staff attentive. We placed a drinks order, while we studied the not too extensive menu, which was delivered quite quickly by a pleasant waitress. We were given a basket of prawn crackers to accompany the drink which appeared to be made from wholewheat as they were quite thick. They were accompanied by a chilli dip and were very good and a pleasant change from the usual.

We ordered a starter of two types of dim sum which were delicious and a portion of chicken satay which was excellent. I did struggle with the chopsticks though. While we were eating our starters the table next to us was taken by a group of young men who as the evening progressed became louder and louder the more they drank. Since they appeared to be known to the staff no one asked them to lower their voices. The music was turned up at this point and all in all it became quite impossible to make any conversation.

For the main course I had ordered an aubergine dish with tofu. It came in a bowl and looked like a stew. It probably tasted quite nice but I found after eating some of the vegetables I could not eat any more as dish was too heavily salted. My husband had ordered monkfish in a clay pot, unfortunately it was battered and heavily spiced so the characteristic monkfish flavour and texture was lost. We had also ordered a portion of rice. I tasted the monkfish, noted it was not too salty but after the vegetable dish I could not taste it.

When the head waiter came to clear our table he asked why I had not eaten the dish and I told him it was because it was too salty. As result of this disappointment, and the by now unbearable noise level from the party of loud people at the next table we decided to leave.

One of the waitresses brought our bill and we noted that it had the dishes we had ordered listed but no total. When the bill was brought back to the table we were told by the head waiter that they had taken the price of the vegetable dish off the bill. It was unfortunate that the dish had been so salty.

This evening which held promise turned out to be an unpleasant experience for a popular restaurant.

If this restaurant was awarded the “Best Chinese Restaurant award in Glasgow” for 2012 I would hate to go to the others.

The next morning I thought I had a cold as my throat was closed and swollen. I was also very thirsty most of the day. I later realised that it was from all the salt in the dish. It got better as the day wore on. I would definitely not go back to this restaurant.

3  Thank Wilma S
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This restaurant is a hidden gem. The service is brilliant, subtle but genuine. The food was fantastic. The food tasted fresh, clean and wonderful. We were seated on a table for two but as soon as the people left beside us, the tables were pushed together to give us more space - we thought this good customer service (particularly as the previous night we had eaten at another restaurant where we were practically sitting on the laps of the couple beside us!). We would highly recommend this restaurant.