“Opium - wonderfully addictive”
Review of Opium

Opium
Ranked #35 of 2,473 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Opium specialises in oriental fusion cuisine, offering a mix of traditional Dim Sum and fusion dishes. We're open everyday and look forward to welcoming you here at 191 Hope Street. Located in the heart of Glasgow city centre, Opium is great for a working lunch or to catch up with friends. As night falls our interior transforms, it's perfect for an intimate dinner or a celebration with family and friends.
Reviewed November 6, 2011

This restaurant has spoiled us for other Chinese restaurants. We had a great family meal out and thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Opium. The balance of flavours and spices was just right and the level of service was perfect.

Our starters were great - dim sum and spicy baked ribs were a treat. The mains were original and tasty. Perhaps the best praise I could give is that there wasn't a morsel left on the warming trays - we ate every bit, which is unusual for your average Chinese meal.

We'd go back in a heartbeat and can only recommend to those spending time in Glasgow.

1  Thank FatFreddiesCat
There are newer reviews for Opium

Reviewed November 6, 2011

My husband and I chose the reasonably priced Pre Theate menu before going to see a show. The food was fantastic and good value for money. I had duck spring rolls and a szechuan chicken noodle dish and my husband had satay wonton followed by Hong Kong beef flank with jasmine rice. It was tasty, presented well and cooked to perfection - the beef especially, it just fell apart on the plate. The service was attentive and although two of the waitresses that servied us did not have a perfect command of English (in fact one of them had just started that night!), they had effortless charm and were extremely friendly. The restaurant itself is very chic, it certainly does not feel like you are sitting on Hope Street! The pre theatre was definitely a taster for better things and I will be returning soon to try the a la carte menu. I will be giving amber regent and ho wong a miss from now on.

Reviewed November 4, 2011

We booked to eat at Opium after reading reviews on Trip Advisor. Although it was a Monday night the restaurant was nearly full at one point, a testament to its growing reputation. The service was excellent throughout: friendly and attentive. Questions regarding the menu were simply explained. My wife loved her gin cocktail, a precursor to a wonderful meal for both of us. Opium is a welcome addition to the "must visit" Glasgow restaurant trail. A bit more pricey than some restaurants, but you certainly get what you pay for. We will be back.

Reviewed November 2, 2011

having eaten sushi in Salem, noodles in New York and Beef Teriyaki in Belfast, I like to thing of myself as a epicure of Chinese foods.
Then I went to Opium.
It was one of those random encounters, mum and I were looking for lunch and she spotted a set menu for her and dim sum for me, and even though I was in the mood for Mexican I thought it would be nice so in we went.
First impresssion of the place was serenity. The middle of a noisy bustling city and it seemed calm. Then we got a genuine smile from the hostess, who was charm itself and I had to check that she hadn't just seen an old friend behind me. The menu was amazing and I got stuck in such a quandry of what to have that poor mum even said she would share dim sum with me so I could try more, but luckily the proprietor (is that spelt right) materialised at that point and gave us a hand.
I don't know if the staff have weird pyschic powers or are just that good at their jobs, but they appear when you want them and are unobtrusive when you don't, and they are so genuine about everything on the menu, it makes you feel like old friends who know you are suggesting things you might like.
So with a parma violet cocktail (so, so good) to help I chose three dim sum (all dumpling types) and mum went with the set menu of soup and salad. Both meals were inspired choices, that we both shared! the soup was out of this world and the salad ( which I'm never fussed on) was exquisite. The dim sum was DIVINE. I even growled at sharing it, and that was just sheer greed!
I could not fault one thing about this restaurant, except that its location is not near enough to me.
But its not too dear to fly or sail and bus it up to glasgow and yes for another meal here I will be doing just that.

1  Thank Alice R
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We ate here after a long trip up to Glasgow and I have to say that it was amazing. The food looked excellent and tasted better!! One of the group couldn't finish there's as she was full and it was refreshing to have someone come back to the table to check that the food was ok. Will deffinately be going back next time I'm in the area!!!!