“Not at Glasgow Airport”

Ranked #59 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Not at Glasgow Airport”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

First, I should mention that the hotel is not at Glasgow Airport, but situated in the Braehead Shopping complex, near the M8 motorway.

The building is new and comfortable but service is extremely slow in the restaurant. This is possibly due to being understaffed. When we first entered, we were kept waiting for some time before being approached and directed to a table, even though there were staff about. However, after that, the staff were very politel. The food was excellent but it just took too long to arrive. So much so, we even forfeited our desert.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KieranG
glasgowairport, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow Airport, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Hello Kieran,

Thank you kindly for your review of the hotel.

Although the hotel does have 'Glasgow Airport' in the name (as we are within a certain radius for the airport) we try to ensure all listings for the hotel are clear that we are beside Braehead just off the M8.

I'm a little disappointed that you experienced a slow service during your visit to the restaurant. This is unusual, however like any restaurant it can experience busy periods or perhaps be under-staffed for various reasons. Without knowing the specific nights however, I can only surmise this. It is taken on board and is something I've now discussed with our restaurant manager at our weekly hotel meeting so that we may address this.

I am indeed glad that the team provided their usual good service, and perhaps this is enough to encourage you to return some time? Then we can have the opportunity to provide an even better delivery for you.

Thom Murphy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Polish first
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The first challenge is finding the hotel - this is not easy but if you follow directions for the IKEA store, that will take you there. Plenty of parking and check in was extremely friendly and efficient. The ground floor room was huge and had everything you expect from a budget hotel and more - although the pillows were horribly soft and thin. The usual inability of hotels to match the number of milk cartons with the tea and coffee supplied was met with a friendly offer of a small jug of fresh milk. Also worth comment is the fact that there are plenty of plug sockets to charge the usual travelling electronics. What sets this above the usual budget hotels is the bar/restaurant in the hotel rather than in an adjoining pub (incidentally there is a soulless looking pub across the car park but I didn't look in there). The service was friendly and while the food isn't outstanding (the breakfast was somewhat uninspired but functional as indeed was the evening meal) it is OK value and filled a hole. You won't be checking in to this hotel for the views - unless you are partial to views of an astroturf football pitch. The room was quiet and comfortable. Check out was met with an offer of a taxi if needed - which it wasn't. I gather it offers a minibus to the airport service but I was not using air transport. Nice, clean, comfortable and friendly at a very competitive price. Yes, the in room information was a bit tatty but at this price, who is complaining? Not me. Would happily use this chain again - not least due to the friendliness of the staff which makes such a difference.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hello Robin,

Many thanks indeed for the kind review following your stay with us. I'm delighted you enjoyed the overall service at the hotel.

I have made a couple of important notes from your feedback. Firstly, I have had other comments regarding the pillows and am currently looking to increase our bedroom's pillow stock to help with this matter. I also take on board your comments regarding the number of milk pots in the room. It's strangely not something I've had comments on before, but very easy to rectify so that I never do. I'm also glad to say that we have been able to work on the breakfast buffet selection to increase it from this week, so hopefully it's now a little more 'inspired'.

I hope to be able to welcome you back again soon Robin, and should you need any help with your reservation, feel free to contact us direct on 0141 886 1347 or glasgowairport@campanile.com where I or one of the team will be happy make a booking for you.

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2013

1) Booking: don't attempt to book by phone. It's answered in French, and although the person I spoke to spoke some English, she wasn't able to take down my email address and communicating with her was very difficult in general.
2) I had the misfortune to arrive on the same day as a huge coach-load of (I think) football supporters, who have basically taken over the hotel. It's 1am, my room is right next to the stairs, and it's bedlam. I don't see myself getting much sleep tonight.

Conclusion: might be OK if it were possible to sleep.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear GC,

Firstly, allow me to extend my sincerest apologies that you were unable to enjoy a good night's sleep. This was obviously a one-off situation where we had several junior football teams staying with us, who were allowed a little more freedom around the hotel than perhaps advisable. My team did of course have several conversations with the parents staying with them to try and curtail the errant behaviour.

You also seem to have had some problems booking the hotel as you've gone through a centralised number to our French reservations. We are of course a French hotel chain, however we do take our bookings direct at the hotel over the phone.

Overall, it's very regrettable that you did not have a good experience with us and this is something I would like to be able to rectify. Perhaps you would be willing to contact me direct and let me know if you are in the area again? I would very much like to invite you back at a discounted rate so that you may be able to fully enjoy the hotel as so many others do. I have left my details below should you wish to take me up on this.

0141 886 1347
manager.glasgowairport@campanile.com
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We paid just over £31 for the room, which was much bigger than many rooms in similarly priced hotels. The room and bathroom were both very clean (the shower cubicle was pretty big too, with a built-in seat for anyone who is less than steady on their feet). The room was a little cold when we arrived but the heating kicked in as soon as we adjusted the thermostat and it was toasty warm within a few minutes. We had room 6 on the ground floor, just round the corner from the restaurant, and I was a little worried about it being noisy. However, the sound insulation is great so as soon as we shut the door we couldn't hear a thing.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The only downside is the location. If we were going to an event at Braehead Arena we'd certainly book a room here again, or if we needed to find a Glasgow hotel where dogs were allowed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Grey Luvver,

Many thanks for leaving your feedback following your stay with us. I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and the team were able to provide a warm and friendly service for you.

We are of course a little out the way of the main city centre but very handy if your driving as we're right off the M8 motorway. So I hope you'll consider using us when you're next in Glasgow, especially with your pet.

Renfrew, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I had booked online for a Double
Room for last night Wenesday 10th April and we arrived at about 8pm. We had a
bit of a wait and a boy came and served us. He couldn't find our details and
asked when we had booked. When I said it was 'today' he said that we would
have to fill out a form. He said his fax had not been working all day. He
then said he had only twin rooms left. I said that I had booked a double
online. He then said 'As I said my fax machine has been down all day and as
you as you can see were busy'. My wife said 'you haven't even apologised'. He
answered 'I've nothing to apologise for'
He then said 'do you expect somebody to be employed to manage the web every
hour?' I said 'yes' and by this time I was extremely angry and relayed this
to one of your staff – a blonde girl who was in the Office off reception.
We were both shocked by his bad attitude, discourteous behaviour and lack of
understanding and as he is supposed to be representing Campanile I would
not recommend or think of ever entering their premises again
Shocking!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
glasgowairport, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow Airport, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Calso,

I wish to thank you for taking time to leave feedback for the hotel, however I feel it important to clarify the full story for those who read this platform.

Unfortunately, you did not have a booking at Campanile Glasgow Airport. My reception team attempted to get you a room whilst they investigated further, however at the time the only rooms available were twin rooms. I do accept that in your mind as the customer, you had booked a double bedroom with us and expected such, however I do find the way that my reception team were treated to be unacceptable as I have a duty to care for the welfare of guests and staff alike. My team do have the right to work in a save environment without being subject to any form of threatening behaviour.

Any guest at all who has an issue with the service they are being provided is invited to raise these concerns with myself or Campanile Guest Relations, however this does not include a guest walking behind reception to physically bang an office door looking for an alternative manager. This I feel puts staff members in jeopardy.

I would also like to note that I have tried emailing you directly with the email address you provided to Campanile Guest Relations to clarify with you that you had no booking with us, however perhaps my email has got lost in your junk mail?

Should you wish to discuss this further, I have left my email address at the bottom.

manager.glasgowairport@campanile.com
Leven, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Not at lot to say. We booked at 23:30 and arrived just over an hour later, as I decided I couldn't be trusted to get up early in the morning for our journey to the ferry in Troon, so staying a bit nearer would be a good idea.

Night staff were friendly and efficient.

Not a lot to say - clean, quiet, cheap. Happy enough!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
glasgowairport, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow Airport, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear JH,

Many thanks for leaving us your feedback. I always appreciate comments from such avid TripAdvisor users as yourself.

I'm glad were offered the right price, a good room and friendly service. Perhaps we'll have the chance to welcome you back sometime for a little longer?

Abingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed one night on business, collecting colleagues from the airport. Clean, modern, spacious rooms, good facilites for the price paid, good staff and a better standard than most Campanile hotels I have used. Only problem is location. Although it calls itself an airport hotel, it is actually on the Braehead retail park about four miles from the airport and quite difficult to find, especially on a dark wet evening. A satnav might take you to the door, I don't use one, but judging from other reviews there can still be problems. You actually see the place from the M8 or the A8, but then you have to work out how to get to it - some signage on the retail park roads would be useful. Having said that, now I know how to find it I would happily use the hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
glasgowairport, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow Airport, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Hello Stephen,

Thank you for your kind review. I'm glad to read that you've used our hotels before and have now stayed with us, the latest generation of Campanile's.

As you have noted yourself, we often receive comments about finding the hotel as its relatively new in an area of land which was entirely vacant until around 6 years ago.

We have been told that most GPS systems should now be loaded with directions for this area, however we try to ensure we have clear directions (right off Junction 25a of the M8) on all websites selling the hotel and have even taken to using the post code for IKEA (G51 4FB) next door online to try and ensure people can find us.

Hopefully we'll be seeing you again soon, and once again thank you for your comments.

Thom Murphy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glasgow
Anderston
Campanile Glasgow
Campanile Glasgow
#61 of 96 in Glasgow
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,086 reviews
Kings Park Hotel
#81 of 96 in Glasgow

Been to Campanile Glasgow Airport? Share your experiences!