“Great hotel, great value but be prepared for a Glasgow weekend!”

Novotel Glasgow Centre
Ranked #43 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 29, 2013

All round an excellent hotel for the price, very friendly and helpful staff and indeed difficult to fault much at all apart from...some of the weekend guests who don't always remember some people prefer to get to sleep before the early and indeed not so early hours.

It's a challenge for any city centre hotel these days to control the noise at weekends but any combination of gentle reminders, not so gentle reminders, quiet floors for those who want them, soundproofing and anything else... must be worth a try.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank KittyChumley
ManagerNGC, General Manager at Novotel Glasgow Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you for taking some time to review your recent stay with us at Novotel Glasgow Centre.

It is always encouraging to read positive feedback but I can only apologise for any noise you experienced from other guests.

It is true to say that it is hard to control this but we do our upmost to ensure that if guests do experience noise then we act on quieting any individuals down.

I thank you once again for your comments & do hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.
Craig Munro

Write a ReviewReviews (1,640)

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I used to recommend Accor for stays. After unpleasant experiences in Sao Paulo (Mercure Pinheiros) and Leuven Etap (Belgium) last year and staying at this 4-star hotel in Glasgow, I'm starting to question whether these (cleanliness) problems may be wider in the Accor group than I think.

First the positives: the staff was professional and helpful, even in the face of the complains I raised. Also, the room I stayed in was quiet and I had a good sleep there. The room had a steam iron and board, and a mini-fridge.

Now the key negative item: cleanliness. Upon check in, I noticed a stained blue decorative cushion placed on my bed: whether these stains (three at least) were toothpaste or saliva marks it does not matter, that item should have been discarded. Also, there was a fine layer of dust to be detected on most surfaces. Finally, the telephone had stains as well.

Besides the cleanliness, the room felt a bit aged with white 1980s style Formica furniture, and a worn grey sofa with loose pieces of cloth. The carpet was well travelled and the TV (not that I care, but you need to know) was a traditional cathode tube model.

I complained and the staff at reception was polite and understanding and upgraded me to an "Executive Room" which was cleaner. The difference with the standard room was a flat screen TV, a mini-fridge and a desk in a more contemporary set of colours. I must say I didn't feel disgusted at the bed or the shower room, yet the toilet itself had an opaque sheen in the underside of the lid. The white tulle sheet part of the curtain also had some yellow tones which looked to my sight as dirty.

An additional hygiene comment concerns the plates available for breakfast which had food marks (arguably result of incomplete machine washing). I observed this one day and made no comment, but as on the following morning I noticed yellow (egg?) markings on the side of a plate, and small food remains stuck to many others, I pointed it out to staff that initially said these were scratches but that eventually recognised the plates were not clean. The entire pile of plates was shifted back for washing.

Location is good according to the locals (hotel is in the City Centre, which is safe in Glasgow and near a major Police Station).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay with us and indeed for a very detailed feedback.

Cleanliness is one of the most important areas of our business and I am disapointed to read that we have let our standards slip on this occasion. I will work with both the housekeeping team & kitchen team to ensure that we revisit some of the areas that you have highlighted and show a notable improvement.

We are constantly upgrading our hotels, for which this year at Novotel Glasgow, we are replacing mattresses, carpets, curtains & soft furnisings.

I do hope that we can show you these improvements on a future visit to the hotel.

Thank you once again & please accept my apologies for the obvious slip in standards.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Came up for 2 nights on Business, but also brought my wife up as she had never been to Glasgow before.
Thought the Hotel and staff was very good, the room was spacious, clean and modern the shower was fantastic. The lobby was very spacious and modern, the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Only slightly disappointed with the bacon and sausage, but that is a minor point to another wise excellent stay. I would definitely come back again

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Graham P

Thank you so much for your review based on a recent stay with us at Novotel Glasgow. I am pleased to read such positive words, especially regarding the team - which I will ensure is passed on.

I do hope to see you back with us in the near future.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed for two nights, thought reception was very modern and stylish. Room was spacious, clean and comfortable, loved the shower. Could have done with more clothes hangers. Used the gym which had cardio but no weights, and sauna was small but ok. Only let down was cooked breakfast, thought everything was very greasy which put me off. All the staff were friendly and efficient and helpful. Location excellent for shopping, would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for writing a review following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to read that you had a positive experience but have noted your comments regarding breakfast which I will pass onto the Head Chef.

I do hope to see you back at the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

the staff were very helpful and the hotel was very centrally located.Wi Fi in lobby was very fast and yevone in reception was very helpful.restaurant breakfast was good but heaps of restaurants just down the road for cheap dinners

Room Tip: the upgrade is worth it as you get movies and internet all included
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for writing a short review based on your recent stay with us in Glasgow.

I am pleased that you had a comfortable stay and will of course pass on your comments to Yvonne, who does a great job at reception.

I hope your stay in Scotland was a memorable one & that we see you back at some point in the future.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Recently stayed at norvotel where one of the individuals in my party fell ill. The front desk staff helped us immensely as we were on holiday from the States and did not know where the closest hospital was. Needless to say, the front desk helped us figure out the process with NHS. You were a lifesaver! Would recommend Norvotel any day.

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you for your short review based on your recent stay with us.

Our front desk team are always recieving positive feedback regarding their servcie, something which both they & I pride ourselves on.

I am sorry that one of your party fell ill on your travels & do hope that they have now made a full recovery.

We hope that should you be back in Glasgow one day that we see you back at the Novotel.

General manager

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Hotel was well located, service was very good as you would expect from this chain but the room was tired and tatty and I have found that different Novotels and Mercures do vary a great deal in quality.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for writing a short review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry to read however, that you found the hotel tired.

We are constantly upgrading our hotel, in order that we keep up with our clients expectations, clearly on this occasion, we fell short for which please accept my sincere apologies.

I do hope that we get the opportunity to show you the improvments we are making in the hotel this year on a future stay.