“Fantastic stay at The Albion” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Albion Hotel

Albion Hotel
Ranked #62 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
“Fantastic stay at The Albion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

I agree with Petenjan 99 there a lot of moaners!My sister and I stayed for 3 nights while the Commonwealth Games were on. It was perfect, ideal location, Marleen was very helpful and we look forward to visiting Glasgow again. Many thanks x

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

We have been coming to the Albion Hotel for breaks for 20 years. Okay it's not posh, it doesn't have a restaurant or bar but it is clean, comfortable, has friendly staff and is in a great location, 200yards from the underground and a 5 minute walk from the bustling Byres Road area. We stayed in one of their apartments last weekend (1 and 2 August) when down for the games. The apartment for 4 of us was £10 per night more than normal rate - excellent value considering what the big rip off hotels were charging during the games. I assume the moaners who have done poor reviews were there because they couldn't get a cheap deal in the Moat House or wherever. My view ' think yourself lucky you got a hotel room at all'!! The Albion is a good place if you want a well located base.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
robertmcq, Owner at Albion Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Very many thanks for your kind words, this has been passed to all the staff concerned, it was a welcome change from so many negative reviews regarding the rate's during the Games, as we stated in our replies we thought we had pitched it just right with the hope that people would realise we could have charged a lot more but we thought they might appreciate that we were not ripping them off and perhaps come back again!
I hope you will continue to stay at the Albion for another 20 years, and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Corwen Clwyd
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

I booked this "Hotel" for 2 nights during the Commomwealth Games at £80 per night + £9 per breakfast.
Tried again today for later in the month & low & behold its now £62 + breakfast.
Its not really a hotel more of a guest house.
Bathroom is the smallest I have ever seen. you have to close the door to get to the shower, the cold tap works the wrong way & the only thing I could see that the room maid had done in the morning was make the bed!!! The mat for outside the shoqwer was still in the same place in the same state on the floor, there was nom hand towel just a bath towel & despite a notice saying the towel would be refolded if left on towelrail, it wasnt.
The staff were very noisy Sunday morning standing at the foot of stairs at about 7 o'clock, so why say breakfast was later on Sunday when I couldnt sleep anyway because of their chattering.
Not very helpful with suggestions on how to get to the Games venues either.
I woulnt stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
robertmcq, Owner at Albion Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
The rates for all hotels in Glasgow during the Commonwealth Games were higher than normal as hotels work on a supply and demand basis, our prices fluctuate all year round, depending on time of year, day of the week etc. However our rates were still very reasonable in comparison, you state that you paid £89 in total per night, the rate you found for later this month was £68, I hardly think that a difference of £21 was out of the way, most of the hotels doubled their rates and some tripled them, we felt we kept our rates at a reasonable level which I have to say the majority of our guest's over that period agreed with.
With regard to the room being small, you had booked a single room and that is what you were allocated, yes you would have had to close the bathroom door to be able to turn left to the shower, however as most people would close a bathroom door whether they were on their own or not I would not have thought that was a problem. Had you reported to reception that you felt your room had not been properly serviced the matter would have been rectified there and then, we apologise if there was a lapse in our usual standards.
Staff are as quiet as possible in the morning given that they do have to prepare breakfast and are moving between the kitchen and dining room. The noise problem is actually a mystery as on a Sunday our staff do not start until 8.15am.
Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

Stayed 2 nights with my wife while visiting the commonwealth games. Would certainly not normally have paid what I did for this sort of hotel, but due to the games, accommodation was at a premium.
Reception was efficient. You are charged on arrival. When we got there the hotel was very dark as they were testing the alarm system in each room with the power off. A positive to see this was being done thoroughly. .
Some positives and some negatives to this place. Starting with the positives:-

Location. Close to the Glasgow Metro with very good links to the city.
Parking. Adequate street parking, £2/half day if you buy a card at the hotel reception.
Room and bathroom were clean.
Breakfast was good.
Free Wi-Fi worked well.
The location is quiet.

Now the negatives, and for me they outweigh the positives. Others may view things differently:-

The room. Attic room with steep sloping ceiling. Had to be a bit of a contortionist to get into one side of the bed. Hit head on ceiling several times. Have stayed in attic rooms before, but normally the low part is just where you would leave cases, and not as low as this was. Should never have been converted in the first place. Noted 2 other couples complained that their rooms were very small.
Skylight. The only natural light. In fact far too much of it, as the blind let in far too much light. Could not sleep after 4-30am. The fastener (screw into base) failed to hold the blind properly, and on the second night almost gave my wife a heart attack when it suddenly shot back up.
Stairs. As we were at the top floor had 2 flights to negotiate. They require care, particularly going down.
Tables for two in the breakfast room were ridiculously small. Almost commical having to try and balance toast racks on sugar basins etc.

Debated between 2 and 3 stars. 2½ would be about right.

Room Tip: Avoid the attic.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
robertmcq, Owner at Albion Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
As you may have noticed while looking for a hotel room during the Commonwealth Games, although our prices were higher than normal compared to most of the other hotels in Glasgow ours were very reasonable, we could have set the rates even higher but were of the opinion that the level we chose was appropriate for our type of hotel. We know of some of the hotels around our area of the same size and type of ours who were charging £400 a night, so all in all we felt we were being fairer than some.
As the building is a converted house then yes we do have 2 attic rooms, a double and a twin, the conversion was done 35years ago and you are only the 3rd person to complain. The Velux window is fitted with a blackout blind, we will check it to make sure it is still functioning properly. The stairs as can be expected in an old building are quite steep and unfortunately there is not anything we can do about them.
Wigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

Had a short stay here while watching the commonwealth games. Arrived early but was allowed to leave my bags which was a very welcome help. The room was big, clean and comfortable. We were upgraded to one of the apartments next door which was excellent. The shower room was large and sparkling clean,. Breakfast was filling and tasty.

Location is convenient for the city, being only 3 stops out on the subway - thanks also go to all the subway staff who were the most pleasant public transport workers I've ever met. I was impressed by the choice of places to eat nearby too with something to please everybody.

Glasgow was a fantastic place, vibrant and interesting and the weather was kind! I visited for the games but would definitely choose to return for a weekend and certainly stay at this hotel again

Room Tip: If you can wangle an upgrade to an appartment - bonus!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Keswick, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

I was totally appalled at the treatment I received from this hotel. I booked through Booking.com which I have done on several occasions without any problems and, without me being aware, the hotel took the full payment from my account. I wasn't prepared for this as it has never been done before and it left me in financial difficulty. I was upset when I checked in the bank and the bank clerk kindly offered to phone the hotel in order to help me. The attitude of the receptionist he spoke to was nothing short of disgusting and he was shocked at the way he had been spoken nto and especially with the parting comment of "well, if she wants to cancel the booking it's up to her". I phoned the hotel later that day and was lied to by the person I spoke to claiming it wasn't her that the bank clerk had spoken to but i know it was due to the fact she slipped up by saying what time I had phoned earlier, I cancelled the booking and went from really looking forward to visiting Glasgow for the Commonwealth games with my son to being in a panic about getting somewhere to stay which, thankfully I have. I want to warn others about this risk and about the uncaring attitude of the staff at Albion Hotel.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Joanne C
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

We booked a triple room at the Albion in January as we were going to the Commonwealth Games. It was difficult to find accommodation in the city but the Albion was very reasonably priced. Even though we couldn't check in as we were early, we were able to leave our luggage so we didn't have to drag it around. The location is in a quiet street and only a short bus journey from the city centre, subway is across the road. We preferred being in this area as there are lots of independent cafes, eateries and shops- different to the chains you usually see everywhere. The beautiful Botanical Gardens are only a 10 minute walk away. The room was spacious and the staff were so friendly and helpful which was a real plus :)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family