“Could Do Much Much Better”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Rouge Glasgow - CLOSED

Cafe Rouge Glasgow
Cuisines: French, European
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Glasgow
“Could Do Much Much Better”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We had a late lunch here yesterday, I booked it because we had some Tesco vouchers that needed using. Welcome was fine but although I had booked a table, there was no reserved table, luckily lots of empty tables so were seated.
My starter of camembert was overcooked, and a little burnt, 6 leaves and a smear of sauce completed the dish. I was hungry so ate it because it wasn't awful, just careless and badly presented. My husband's prawns were still half in the shell and not very spicy, also expensive for 4 prawns. We had ordered the ribeye steak for us both, with pepper sauce which was additional, it came with fries. The steak was well cooked and nicely tasted, exactly how we had asked for, however the portions of fries were very tiny and very very salty and the sauce was tasteless. The food had a lot of promise but I feel costcutting ruined what could have been a good meal, the total food bill was £48.50 which for what we had was pretty expensive, glad it wasn't "real" money!
I would also ask the chef to cease making decisions about how much salt diners require with their fries, his heavy handedness with the salt turned a wee treat into quite something else.
Could do much better and they need to look at costs versus what the customer actually gets, other restaurants can do it, why can't they?

• Visited May 2013

Inverness, United Kingdom
“cosy restaurant”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

In the centre of Glasgow, outside seating available to watch the world go by. Very reasonably priced two course set menu at lunchtime and in the evening. House wine excellent. Service friendly and prompt

European Rail Travel
“Bon appetit !”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Very welcoming seating area outside, definitely helped by lovely sunny day. Pre-meal drinks watching the world go by - very entertaining !
We visited a few months back, and kind of rushed through our meal as we were going to theatre. Booked an earlier slot this time and had more time to relax and enjoy.
We had a couple of starters, houmous + blue cheese and walnuts, also had olives. A very nice house red wine accompanied this.
My partner had the special - sea bass - I had a steak. We both thoroughly enjoyed. Cooked exactly how we like.
Service very good, Wilma was our waitress, very friendly and helpful.

West Dunbartonshire
“Wish it had been the sunny side of the street yesterday!”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Had to go into the city yesterday even though it was torrential rain and gail force winds. Needed a spot of lunch and decided to treat myself in Cafe Rouge. I had been sent a code for 25% off food so took the opportunity to cash it in. I have been here many times before mostly with my now late mother and it was certainly one of our favourites. I managed to get a nice window seat and settled into a bit of people watching. I ordered a baguette and fries from the quick plates menu and it was delicious, washed down with a lovely glass of house white wine. I was served by Niki who asked me if that was a large glass required and I replied - I never knew there were any other sizes! I loved watching everyone dashing past the window and was glad I was inside and dry! Niki brought me a menu to ask if I required dessert and when I looked at it all that were on there were breakfasts. Probably a sign that I oughtn't to have one. I managed to get out when there was a break in the rain + dashed to nearby Marks + Spencers. This is a great place to come when exploring the central attractions. Will definitely be back! Xx

Larbert, United Kingdom
“Pre Theatre Meal”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The restauarnt is very well located inthe centre of Glasgow .It has a good varied menu . The staff were very helpful .The quality of food was variable. I has mussels and they were very small, a friend had sole onthe bone an dit was wonderful and onther friend a chicken dish which was very tasty .THE Vegetarian iptions were limited . I shall certainly give it another try .