“Friendly staff”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

I have been staying at the Marriott Glasgow during the week for several months now as I am working away on business in Glasgow. It is well situated for the city centre - only about 15 mins walk from Merchant City, Glasgow Central station etc. and a short taxi ride from the West End. The staff are very friendly and helpful and look after you well. The rooms are comfortable and quiet and I almost always get a great night's sleep, though the decor is looking a little tired now. The gym is well equipped and not usually very busy. The pool is unfortunately rather small and shallow but you can just about do lengths and there is a sauna and steam room. I've not eaten in the restaurant very often as there's a good range of restaurants nearby but when I have, the food has been good quality. For those with Marriott Rewards status, the executive lounge is a great bonus with a nice range of free hot and cold snacks and drinks in the evening.

Room Tip: Higher floors are generally quieter
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Rob_M_UK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

I've been staying here on business for the past 7 months and it's very comfortable. The staff are friendly and the executive lounge is a great help after a busy day!

Great gym facilities too. Great location for getting into the city centre or out to the west end.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Tom D
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of nights at the end of the English half term. Lots of children in hotel and pool which I suppose is to be expected. Hotel we'll situated for City centre being only a 15 minute walk to the main shopping area. Staff on arrival were helpful and friendly. Room was clean and adequate for our short stay. I am unable to use lifts due to severe claustrophobia and was disappointed I had to leave the front entrance, go down the side of the hotel through the car park and access the stairs by going down a floor to the leisure facilities before going out to my room. Fortunately I was on level 1. The leisure facilities are also reached by going outside the main building. I would have felt unsafe going round the back of the hotel late at night alone and, as it was raining it was a pain.Breakfast was excellent. Car parking £8 a day was reasonable. I have given a lower than normal score for a Marriott due to access difficulties.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Josrobo
Windermere, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

We booked a "standard" room and what a disappointment. Very small. The lighting was so poor it was impossible to read. There was one bedside lamp on the left and a standard lamp which could be switched on and off from the right side of the bed which obviously gets round the dual control requirements. No ceiling light. No extractor in the bathroom and no heated towel rail either. I couldn't see to put my make up on in the bathroom (too steamed up) or the bedroom (too dark).
Although the breakfast was of a high quality everything, and I mean every thing was nearly cold. The scrambled egg and beans were most unpleasant. I decided to order poached eggs and just get some bacon because it was all tepid. Shame on you Marriot, it IS possible to have a HOT buffet because many hotels can manage this!!!!

Room Tip: God knows, our outlook was over some bins!
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

Hotel is ideal for wanting to explore Glasgow city centre and is around a £4 taxis ride from the centre of town, or a 10 min walk.
Rooms where very clean but where fairly old fashioned. Staff on main desk & housekeeping staff where very helpful and always had a smile on their face.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

My partner and I were looking forward to staying at the Glasgow Marriott for valentines weekend. When I booked I asked the receptionist on the phone if I could book an upgraded room in advance to be told it was only subject to availability .. Surely you can reserve one of these rooms by paying for it? So I just left it and asked when we arrived at the hotel to be told it was now full but we shouldn't have been told that as it is possible to book an upgraded room ln advance. When we got to our room it was very tired looking. I then noticed the big disabled bathroom door to find we had been given a disabled room after asking for a nice room at booking due to it being a special occasion as they couldn't give as in upgrade. I tried to ignore this and then went to put some drinks in the fridge to find it wasn't working and there was a strong smell coming from it and noticed that the top of it was filthy and full of lathers of dust! We stay regularly in Glasgow hotels and this had to be the worst stay we had had which you wouldn't expect from a Marriot hotel. We stayed at the marks hotel the following night and found the rooms etc of much better standard than the marriot! We used the swimming pool the following day which needs a serious revamp! And walking from the changing rooms to the pool is freezing wish I had a dressing gown for that. Can't fault the breakfast or staff at checkin though they were fantastic!

• Stayed February 2014
Lynne F, Front Office Manager at Glasgow Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Thank you for your feedback.

I would like to apologise that our reservation agents did not make it clear that the room type preferred must be booked at the time of making the reservation. If you had preferred to wait and upgrade on the day then the rooms would have been subject to availability. The hotel
was fully booked for Executive Rooms for this weekend.

I have asked our housekeeping department to check your room,our mini bars were sealed closed as we no longer have this facility in the bedrooms.

I have passed your comments to our Leisure Club Manager regarding the walk from the changing rooms to the pool.

It is positive to hear that the front desk staff and restaurant staff looked after you well.

Once again, thank you for your very valued feeback.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

If you're looking for a nice, clean, centrally located hotel that offers excellent cooked breakfasts then this one is for you!
The room we stayed in was a decent size with 2 double beds and the bathroom was clean. Loads of clean towels were provided too. I have stayed in other hotels with fancier interiors but there really was nothing wrong with our room that I could see. The wifi wasn't an issue as there was 3G available and free wifi in the bar / lounge area, which was massive with plenty of seats. There is also a dedicated car parking area and we had no problem getting parked.
In terms of sleep quality, as it's a large hotel that is centrally located, there was some noise from revellers returning from enjoying the city's nightlife, but you get that with most city hotels. Housekeeping were a bit noisy in the morning though!
The buffet breakfast was excellent and well worth the money.
We didn't try the leisure club but did use the bar which was fairly reasonably priced, they also sold Starbucks coffee which was handy.
The staff here were very nice and were generally very helpful.
If we come back to stay in Glasgow we would definitely consider staying at The Marriott again.

Room Tip: Our room was on 3rd floor and couldn't fault it. Maybe try to avoid being near the Housekeeper...