“Small room, otherwise a decent hotel”

Glasgow Marriott Hotel
Ranked #43 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fairfax, Virginia
“Small room, otherwise a decent hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

This hotel has a nice lobby for visiting with others. This was the first night of a 2 week trip so my wife and I had a suitcase each. The room was on the small side which made packing and unpacking a little cramped. Otherwise, the hotel was clean, the staff was friendly (especially Charley) and the food was very good. While every hotel we stayed in served breakfast, I would say the Marriott's breakfast was one of the best.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jibbajibba

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have been using this hotel for work when travelling to Glasgow. The Marriott is clean, pleasent and the staff are proffesional. I have no issues with this hotel, it has high standards and always delivers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Mintylady
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Rooms provided were clean. All basic amenities were provided and were satisfactory - Nothing special worth mentioning. Spent quite a bit of time in the common area as free Wifi was not provided in the room. The staff was polite and prompt in service. Breakfast provided was good with a number of options.The overall experience was pleasant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KDR04
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great hotel in a fantastic location to explore Glasgow. Close to shops, bars, restaurants and train station.
Hotel breakfast was really good and the bar was comfortable and relaxing. The staff are friendly and polite especially the concierge, Robert Smart, who was very knowledgable about the area and helpful.
I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband is a Platinum Marriott rewards member and we stayed here one night before catching a plane back to the United States. We used a reward certificate. The person at the reception desk could not figure out how to check us in with a reward certificate and had to get her supervisor. Then when we asked about access to the executive lounge (a Platinum member perk), she was clueless. Again, she needed to get her supervisor. Finally we were checked in.

When we got to our room, we were surprised that it was so small and dated. We had stayed at several hotels and b&bs during our visit to Scotland and this was the smallest, most unappealing, room that we had on the whole trip. The bathroom also is very dated without a separate shower. The towels are very thin and, unlike everywhere else that we had stayed, there were not any robes in the room.

Moreover, there is absolutely nothing charming about this hotel. It feels like an old Marriott in a mid-sized American city. Only pluses are that it has an elevator, the rooms are air conditioned, and our room was quiet. Next time I will find some place else to stay for one night before we return to the States.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jscottjoplin
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hotel rooms were OK.. Bathrooms felt old.
Fridge provided but empty, there are vending machines on several floors.
Did not really feel like a Marriott.
There is a small Starbucks place in the lobby (For a fee of course).
Breakfast menu is extremely disappointing. Some staff were friendly, others were not.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rannawi
Suffolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

A four day business trip to Glasgow (and no availability at the Hilton) found my colleagues and I staying at the Marriott hotel for three nights. The hotel was easy to find, ironically easier than the Hilton which is located just next door. On arrival the car park was being resurfaced, but a few spaces were still available at the very back of the hotel. For those of you that have read my Newcastle hotel review from the previous night, the weather had not improved when journeying north. There is no access to the car park from the back of the hotel so it is quite some way to reception – but thankfully I still had my umbrella (apparently a pre-requisite for any journey north of Watford Gap or west to Wales at any time of the year – or maybe I’m just unlucky?)

The staff at reception were welcoming and quickly had my room arranged. It appears that my request for a room on a high floor away from the lifts had not been passed on by the corporate hotel booking system, so I found myself on the 5th floor directly backing onto the lift shafts. As the hotel was full they were unable to move me.

The room was a decent size, with twin queen beds - The "spare bed" being a useful place to put cases etc, but this does slightly restrict the open floor space available. There was plenty of wardrobe hanging space on entry, with a good sized bathroom just beyond this. Sadly it only had a shower over the bath with a shower curtain. There was plenty of water pressure, and this was always hot and available when needed.

The view from the room was nothing special, looking out onto the main road in front of the hotel. Fortunately this was sufficiently far away so that traffic noise was not an issue, a squeaking lift late at night however was. The side wall of my room backed onto the lift shafts, and one particular lift would give a shrill “shriek” as it was passing the 6th or 7th floor – reverberating this noise down the lift shaft. This was reported to reception the following day and the noise was not heard on subsequent nights in this room – my thanks to the lift engineer responsible for their attention to my sleep requirements!

Breakfast the next day was good, with some colleagues opting for the Costa Coffee option at the bar whilst several of us chose the hot buffet option. My request for poached eggs on toast was quickly fulfilled, and along with a selection of other items from the hot buffet was very enjoyable. The waiting staff at breakfast were always friendly and helpful.

We did not eat dinner at the hotel, as the menu was somewhat restricted in our opinion. We actually drove next door to the Hilton where the Morblas Sea Food and Grill was as good as ever. They even gave us free car parking as they recognised us from previous stays at the hotel and meals in the restaurant there.

The Marriott has a variety of leisure facilities, and whilst I did go and have a quick look I was too busy on this visit to make use of them. They did appear to be clean and well looked after, so if I’m back I’ll certainly investigate further.

At the end of our stay there was a small issue with our car parking, apparently incorrect registration details had been entered, but the manager sorted this out and confirmed the cancellation of any parking fines by email – excellent service and much appreciated thank you.

Overall, this was a pleasant stay. Had my room request details been passed on as entered on the corporate booking system (not sure who is responsible for the lack of communication here?) and I’d been located on a higher floor away from the lifts my feedback would have been even better. The hotel is clean, well maintained and the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. Whilst I do prefer the Hilton next door, the Marriott in Glasgow provided a mainly good experience on this occasion.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms beside the lifts - anything ending in 05!