“A few niggles, but generally good”

Glasgow Marriott Hotel
Ranked #46 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 2, 2013

A four day business trip to Glasgow (and no availability at the Hilton) found my colleagues and I staying at the Marriott hotel for three nights. The hotel was easy to find, ironically easier than the Hilton which is located just next door. On arrival the car park was being resurfaced, but a few spaces were still available at the very back of the hotel. For those of you that have read my Newcastle hotel review from the previous night, the weather had not improved when journeying north. There is no access to the car park from the back of the hotel so it is quite some way to reception – but thankfully I still had my umbrella (apparently a pre-requisite for any journey north of Watford Gap or west to Wales at any time of the year – or maybe I’m just unlucky?)

The staff at reception were welcoming and quickly had my room arranged. It appears that my request for a room on a high floor away from the lifts had not been passed on by the corporate hotel booking system, so I found myself on the 5th floor directly backing onto the lift shafts. As the hotel was full they were unable to move me.

The room was a decent size, with twin queen beds - The "spare bed" being a useful place to put cases etc, but this does slightly restrict the open floor space available. There was plenty of wardrobe hanging space on entry, with a good sized bathroom just beyond this. Sadly it only had a shower over the bath with a shower curtain. There was plenty of water pressure, and this was always hot and available when needed.

The view from the room was nothing special, looking out onto the main road in front of the hotel. Fortunately this was sufficiently far away so that traffic noise was not an issue, a squeaking lift late at night however was. The side wall of my room backed onto the lift shafts, and one particular lift would give a shrill “shriek” as it was passing the 6th or 7th floor – reverberating this noise down the lift shaft. This was reported to reception the following day and the noise was not heard on subsequent nights in this room – my thanks to the lift engineer responsible for their attention to my sleep requirements!

Breakfast the next day was good, with some colleagues opting for the Costa Coffee option at the bar whilst several of us chose the hot buffet option. My request for poached eggs on toast was quickly fulfilled, and along with a selection of other items from the hot buffet was very enjoyable. The waiting staff at breakfast were always friendly and helpful.

We did not eat dinner at the hotel, as the menu was somewhat restricted in our opinion. We actually drove next door to the Hilton where the Morblas Sea Food and Grill was as good as ever. They even gave us free car parking as they recognised us from previous stays at the hotel and meals in the restaurant there.

The Marriott has a variety of leisure facilities, and whilst I did go and have a quick look I was too busy on this visit to make use of them. They did appear to be clean and well looked after, so if I’m back I’ll certainly investigate further.

At the end of our stay there was a small issue with our car parking, apparently incorrect registration details had been entered, but the manager sorted this out and confirmed the cancellation of any parking fines by email – excellent service and much appreciated thank you.

Overall, this was a pleasant stay. Had my room request details been passed on as entered on the corporate booking system (not sure who is responsible for the lack of communication here?) and I’d been located on a higher floor away from the lifts my feedback would have been even better. The hotel is clean, well maintained and the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. Whilst I do prefer the Hilton next door, the Marriott in Glasgow provided a mainly good experience on this occasion.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms beside the lifts - anything ending in 05!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,018)

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed here because I am a Platinum Marriott Rewards member, and thought I might get reasonable treatment, perhaps even a room upgrade. Wrong on both counts. In my room, the wifi was impossible to access, and when I connected by Ethernet cable, I got less than 1Mb/s which was less than I could get with my mobile internet. When I mentioned this to a receptionist, I was told that it was not the hotel's fault as they sourced their internet services through another company and I should have contacted them. I pointed out that it was the hotel's decision to choose the internet service provider. I dined in the restaurant with a colleague, and the food and service were both good (and good value too) but the service at breakfast was poor as was most of the food—tasteless tomatoes, mushrooms, bacon, and sausage. The black pudding was OK, and the haggis, fortunately, was excellent. And the restaurant is the most soul-less hotel restaurant I have ever seen, and that's saying something.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel in two years for a two night stay. Brilliant all the way round. Reception, Restaurant, Bar, Rooms, Staff service and is right at the end of the M4 Motorway, talk about conveinient. Would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in the Glasgow or surrounding area. Five star........

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I recently stayed in the Marriott for two nights with my husband. The staff could not be more polite and helpful.

We had a basic double room, you could tell that the bed was old. There was no support at the bottom of the bed and the valence looked old and marked it needed changing.

We paid for Dinner Bed & Breakfast. Breakfast was superb. My husband enjoyed his main course and my dinner of lamb was so dry that I had to drink with it in order to swallow it.
I had a dessert later on in the bar of sticky toffee pudding and clotted cream - cream was like tasting lard!.

Parking was £8.00 per night.

Other that these minor things we did enjoy our stay, but we would try a different hotel next time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Amanda S
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Was a little worried before arrival as the Marriott website wouldn't let me book 3 adults and the website was saying they were sold out of twin rooms (2 double beds).
I needn't have worried as upon check in, they knew we were 3 adults and I had been allocated a twin room due to a cancellation. I have stayed in a few other Marriotts in the UK and the twin rooms at the Glasgow property seemed sufficiently bigger than that of other Marriotts. The room was so big they had even put in a rollaway bed (as I had requested this if a twin room wasn't available).
It's a great location and is approximately a 10 minute walk from the train station.
This rollaway was promptly removed.
I got to use the gym which I also found to be very big and breakfast was great. Nice to see some Scottish additons to the breakfast selection including haggis and a 'Whiskey flavoured' porridge.
The staff at breakfast were all very kind.
Special mention to Ryan Henderson at the front desk who was beyond fantastic and made us feel very at home in a city that was new to us.

2  Thank cowza
Reviewed August 27, 2013

It's an old hotel and the rooms are very old, beds are not like other Marriott hotels I stayed in the past, they are not comfortable as they should be. Rooms are very noisy and air condition is very bad.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Spent two nights here the 12-13 August. Clean,comfortable bed and friendly people. Within walking distance of pubs and restaurants. Good breakfast. No complaints.Wish the wifi had been available in the rooms but only in the lobby.