“small rooms”
Review of ABode Glasgow

ABode Glasgow
Ranked #38 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed October 21, 2013

had a great stay, we checked into our first room which was tiny and we needed a sofa bed for baby but got it changed to rooms 206 which was massive. If we didnt have the bigger room but syay would have been hard work

wonderful breakfast in the morning - best we had in glagsow and fab location, will stay again

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,166)

Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I have just returned from a lovely weekend in Glashow. From our arrival - considerably earlier than check in time - we were treated very well by hotel staff.

Our room - 206 - was great. An enormous room with high ceilings and an original stained window.

Breakfast was fabulous, the staff were keen to be sure all was in order.

If I could change any one thing, I would have a bigger bed in this bedroom. It certainly has space!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I had very much the same experience as Rob S, below. Same room, same non-view, same bottles bring thrown out in the middle of the night, same bathroom flooded. When I checked in I was told the rate was £143 per night. After I retrieved a copy of my Bookers.com booking, which was £116 per night, the clerk said "Oh, alright." Be vigilant. The hotel has a great location and a good breakfast. And otherwise, the staff was quite niche and helpful. But avoid room 104.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
David M, General Manager at ABode Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear David,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your Tripadvisor review following your recent stay at The Arthouse. Please be assured that we value all feedback from our guests and I will speak to the neighbouring bar regarding the bottle bins that seems to be the source of the noise issue that inconvenienced you during your stay.

It disappoints me to read the response that you received from a member of my team regarding your room rate which I will personally discuss with the member of staff on duty, in addition to this I will be having discussions with the Reception Manager to ensure retraining is provided to front office team including checking third party rate correspondence to avoid any future human error.

Should you wish to discuss your stay in detail with myself, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

After staying here previously and trying a few other hotels in Glasgow since, I decided to stay here again. What a mistake.
I booked a 'Desirable' room and wowww, it couldn't have been anything further from that description.
I was allocated room 104 - Ground floor at the rear of the hotel. On first impression all looked fine (although I would have preferred to be able to see the sky instead of just the back of other buildings) but things just got worse through the evening and into the morning.
I was kept awake until around midnight by the sound of people emptying bottles into skips. I awoke early in an attempt to get a little work done before leaving but found that difficult due to the very poor lighting.
The onto the shower......what a disaster. I had been allocated a disabled room which had a wet-room style bathroom. The shower failed to drain well enough leaving me with a bathroom more resembling a pool.

Lovely staff and no complaints on that front....who told me that 'Desirable' status was allocated due to size !
It just simply wasn't worth the extra money and I won't be taking a chance again at getting allocated a room that is anywhere near suitable.
Last stay at Arthouse/Abode for me.....and as a brand probably if that is the way rooms are categorised.

Room Tip: Luck of the draw I guess. Just hope it's not ground floor or disabled !
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rob S

Dear Rob,

Thank you for your feedback, I believe my contact details where passed to you on check out and I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay. I can see from your profile notes, you have stayed with us on previous occassions although I seem to be a digit missing on your telephone number.

Although of no consequence to you my maintenance team have looked at the shower within the bedroom and it would appear that the wet room is in perfect working order, I have updated your profile to ensure you are not allocated a room on the ground floor on future visits.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide me with your feedback and I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel last weekend, although very central in city, the hotel charges are ridiculously high, paying almost £400 for 2 nights stay was definitely not value for money, neither is the hotel worthy of charging this price. The hotel is an outstanding building with many fabulous features like the staircase and lift. Once you go beyond this the rooms are pretty mediocre. Our room overlooked 3 blocked in walls with no air circulating, the air conditioning was completely inadequate which resulted in the room being stiflingly hot and stuffy. We reported this after the first night and someone replaced the filter which only made a slight improvement, it may be pleasant enough in the middle of winter. Breakfast was charged extra at £15 per person for a pretty basic cooked breakfast-absolutely ridiculous in a hotel of this standard. Wouldn't be in any hurry to rush back!!

1  Thank fion m
David M, General Manager at ABode Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Fion M,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Arthouse, I was disappointed to read that you felt the breakfast was not to your liking, as you will see from other reviews on Tripadvisor breakfast is normally an area of high praise. I'm sorry that you felt the building was hot throughout your stay and I have instructed my maintenance team to look at heating system in the first instance.

Feel free to contact myself directly to discuss in detail your stay.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

My other half decided to book here for our anniversary. Cost was £100 and included breakfast which was a great deal considering it was in the middle of the 'Great Scottish Run' so every hotel was booked full. Upon entering we were greeted by the receptionist and promptly checked in. The lift is one of those quant old lifts were you have to pull shutters for the lift to operate. Lovely interior with art pictures and a running waterfall. We stayed on the 3rd floor and it was nice enough.

The hotel ticks the three most important features. Free wifi, good shower and comfy bed. It's location however is its best feature. Its situated on Bath Street and parallel with Sauchiehall street where there are lots of bars and your a stones throw Central Station and Buchanan Bus Station. Your also very close to Merchant City though you need a taxi if your SO is wearing heels.

Overall the hotel I would say is on par with a Premier Inn but I would say has a nice Glaswegian feel to the whole thing. The staff were lovely and very accommodating and the breakfast was excellent.

Room Tip: There are three floors to this hotel. Try and get a room on the first or second floor. The lift is o...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jamesc1401

Dear James,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Arthouse and share your views to fellow travellers, I was delighted to see that you rated our breakfast as excellent, and the score for service is exactly what my team and I strive for daily.

I hope to welcome you back to The Arthouse in the near future.

Many Thanks,

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. The staff were very welcoming and the rooms are very spacious, immaculately clean and bed was very comfortable. It was lovely to have a selection of filter coffee in the room and not just normal sachets. There was a wide selection of teas too and hot chocolate, not to mention the delightful chocolate chunk and pecan cookies! There was a really good selection for breakfast and the restaurant staff couldn't have been more attentive. I would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: The front rooms are very noisy due to the bustle of the street
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tracy H
David M, General Manager at ABode Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read your review on arrival to work this morning, I know exactly how you feel about the cookies they are delicious. I will of course pass your comments on to my restaurant team here at the hotel and I do hope we can welcome you back to The Arthouse Glasgow in the very near future.

Kind Regards,