“Spacious rooms and a great night's sleep”
Review of ABode Glasgow

ABode Glasgow
Ranked #42 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
London, United Kingdom
“Spacious rooms and a great night's sleep”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I work for a charity and have a strict budget. I visit Glasgow regulalry and I have tried several hotels in the city. Most have been disappointing or profoundly uncomfortable/dirty. The Art House has very good room sizes, which enable me to work comfortably. They also have very comfortable beds guaranteeing a good night's sleep. They have a sympathetic check out time too, which means I don't have to leave immediately after breakfast if my first meeting isn't until after 10.00. The coffee in the room is drinkable, which is not something I say very often about the complimentary drinks in hotels.
Take an alarm clock though. The morning wake up call can be a hit and miss affair although I think they may have fixed this now.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back, as with most hotels in Glasgow, are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Claire P, General Manager at ABode Glasgow, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you very much for leaving feedback after your recent stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Arthouse in the future.
Claire Pollock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Scotland
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I just lovrd this hotel. I had booked through Hotel Connexions a 3 night stay at The Arthouse for my mum,my aunt,and myself to celebrate a post 70th birthday for Mum. When we arrived it was around 22.30pm hrs having come down on a 3 and 1/2 hr train journey.

Our booking was cocked up by Hotel Connexions which had us down for 2 adults and an infant. The manager Graham who was on at the time and a lovely lasdie on reception who was on the nights and Monday morning we were there couldnt have done enough. With a little bit of jiggling about we were placed in an Embrace suite which we were meant to be in the 1st place. We had to pay a supplement of 45pd each night but manager reducrd as goodwill to 30pd. From there on in it was great. Staff were excellent, in the morning the staff on in breakfast area were great a wee special mention to the new lassie started who was extremely helpful and pleasant.

Both managers we seen were fantastic and any queries or info we required was dealt with efficiently. Highly recommend this hotel to anyone good location and fantastic Italian restaurant next door.

We are hoping to come back in October for the Good food Show and stay over!

Room Tip: We appeared to be at the back and on ground floor which was good.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Claire P, General Manager at ABode Glasgow, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thankyou very much for your lovely comments after your recent stay at the hotel.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and that the team looked after you well. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.
Rosebank, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed here with a friend for a couple of nights and was very disappointed with the service. There seemed to be one person doing everything, reception, room service, drinks! The rooms were pleasant enough ... furniture a bit tired though I have to say, as a former hotelier myself I know how important service is. Please Management take my advice and get more staff as my time is too precious to waste it waiting to be served, the star rating seems way out of line in my opinion.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Marjay_12
Thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback after your recent stay at The Arthouse. I am sorry we fell short of your expectations on this occasion and i would be more than happy to speak with you directly on the issue's you experienced. If you feel you would like to speak with me direct please do not hesitate to contact me on 01412216789.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had made a booking for a hotel a couple of minutes walk away and when we arrived there at 10.45pm, we found that they were fully booked and had booked us, supposedly, into the Art House. When we arrived there at 11.15pm, they were also full and were not aware of any contact from the other hotel, as they had closed their booking system earlier in the day. I was, not surprisingly, very upset to find ourselves in one of the biggest cities in the UK, on a Saturday night, with nowhere to stay, especially as I am permanently disabled and my husband is temporarily disabled. The staff were more helpful than anywhere else I have stayed. They allowed us to wait in their bar,with a complimentary drink, whilst they phoned around every hotel in more than a 30 mile radius, trying to get us a room for the night. The staff were genuinely and personally desperate to help us. Finally, at 1.30am, they had a phone call cancelling a room for the night, and the staff were so relieved that they were able to accommodate us that night.

Once into the room, our overall excellent impression continued. The bed was the comfiest I have ever slept in (I even asked what type of mattress they used so I can buy one). The room and bathroom were so spotlessly clean it would put any hospital room to shame. Even though it was a city centre location on a Saturday night, the room was quiet. Breakfast the next morning was well worth getting out of bed for, despite the late night.

Overall, I loved the architecture of the building, built in the 1820s, and I loved the old style lift. Again, as we found on arrival, the staff were desperate to please and couldn't do enough to help us. Normally when in the Glasgow area, we stay outside the city centre because of worries about noise, but this stay has changed our minds about that, we will always check for availability here first. As our original booking had gone wrong, we didn't know if we had a room for the second night, so rather than wasting time finding out, we booked there for our second night as we wanted to give the Art House the business to thank them for all their help the previous night.

I can't praise this hotel highly enough, and would suggest that any poor reviews on here says more about the reviewers, rather than the hotel as I couldn't find a single fault, and if there is a fault, I will find it.

Thanks again to all the wonderful staff, and I'm looking forward to our next stay already.

Room Tip: The hotel recommends a rear facing room if you are concerned about noise from the busy city centre s...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thankyou very much for taking the time to leave such lovely comments. The team work very hard to ensure everyone has an enjoyable stay and i know they will really appreciate the commets you have left.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Stornoway, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Lovely rooms but the furniture is a bit tired. The building is beautiful and the staff were friendly. I needed to work during my stay so I was glad of the good wifi service. My room had a very well appointed wet room shower.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank StornowayKeith
Claire P, General Manager at ABode Glasgow, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thankyou very much for leaving feedback after your recent stay at The Arthouse.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Kirkwall
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights on a city break and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. A really stylish room and immaculately clean bathroom. Staff were very professional and said hello or cheerio each time we came or went. The bed was super comfy and we had a courtesy tray in the room which was well stocked each day, with lovely filter coffee pods and delicious handmade biscuits, which we used as a quick breakfast seeing as we were room-only. It was in an ideal location for the shops and restaurants etc. We would definitely stay there again and will recommend it to our friends. Mr and Mrs L.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your lovely comments and taking the time to leave feedback for other guests to see.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Arthouse in the future.
Lockerbie, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed for one night only and hadn't expected anything unusual. I was delighted to find myself in an architectural gem located in the most central area of the city. The room was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. Parking was opposite the hotel at a very reasonable rate. Polite ,friendly and well informed staff made this hotel a real pleasure and just when I thought that it couldn't get any better, I had the best breakfast that I've eaten in any hotel,(and that includes the Michel Roux chain) both here and abroad. I will recommend this hotel to friends and colleagues with no hesitation.
Janice B.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Claire P, General Manager at ABode Glasgow, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a trip advisor comment after your recent stay. I am please we made your stay special and glad you enjoyed the hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.