“The Jewel in the Crown”

Ranked #17 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Lanark
“The Jewel in the Crown”
Reviewed June 28, 2009

I have stayed in many many hotels in the UK and abroad and have always reviewed my experiences in Trip Advisor. As such, I always have a look at the reviews of the hotels I'm considering booking. We all must remember that not all of us accept the same standards in accommodation and eating out, but I feel my expectations are of a high standard and this hotel ticked all my boxes. I booked a Club room on the 5th floor with balcony which was a fantastic choice as the weather was fab and we sat out for afternoon drinks and also breakfast which was served in the room.
The extra touches, i.e. the filled decanters, free mini bar, snacks and refreshments were a lovely touch, one which I've never seen in any other hotel. If that wasn't enough, free drinks were available in the Executive Lounge until 23.00 hrs.
The room was spacious and immaculate with bathrobes and slippers supplied. The staff were also helpful and pleasant.
Don't read the negative reviews, or if you do, don't be put off. I wouldn't hesitate recommending this hotel to anyone and will be back.
If you're looking for a health club and spa facilities then it is not the hotel for you. I was too busy on this visit to have time to enjoy these facilities, hence the reason I chose the Carlton George.
My only question to Duncan, the Manager would be that when I booked I was quoted £140 for Club Room with balcony. On departure I was charged £155. Jamie at reception couldn't offer an explanation as to the cost differential. He and the other female receptionist understood it to be £140 for all the Club Rooms whether they had a balcony or not.
Thanks to everyone who made my special occasion special.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2009
Thank you for your positive comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. With regards to your comments regarding rates, they are driven by customer demand, so do vary.

Duncan Johnston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed June 23, 2009

I booked a one night stay at this hotel through a third party booking site and then regretted it! I then read so many bad reviews about the booking agent and then couldn't contact them by phone. I rang the hotel and spoke to Fiona, who was the most helpful hotel employee I have come across. She too tried calling the booking agent, with no luck, however she told me not to worry and she would try to check things out for me. True to her word, I received a call from the hotel saying everything was OK and I did have a room reserved.

On arrival at the hotel, we were checked in speedily and given our room key. Our room was on the first floor with a view on to side alleyway - no traffic noise. The room itself was spacious and decorated well. Everything you need for a short break was there - tea/cofee facilities, trouser-press, iron and ironing board, bathrobes and slippers and to top it all off, a complimentary mini bar.

We didn't have time to eat in the restaurant in the evening but did have breakfast. This was much he same as breakfasts in most hotels but we had views overlooking Glasgow's rooftops.

Given we didn't book directly with the Carlton George, we were so surprised to receive such great service when things seemed to be going wrong. Our experience in the hotel was very good and we will definitely be returning soon.

Well done Carlton George.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tfs
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments. We do try to look after all of our guests whether they book direct or through a third party. It was particularly pleasing to read your glowing comments regarding Fiona.

Kind Regards

Torrance, California
Reviewed June 11, 2009

I arrived by train from London, the hotel is an easy walk from Central station. I returned via Edinburgh to London using Queen Street station which is nearly next door to the hotel (Laura Ashley is the shop next door!). I had the impression that the hotel was directly on George Square but it is a block or two away. (It’s closer to Buchanan Street.) The Hop-on-Hop-off sightseeing bus and the Tourist Information Center are at George Square - very handy. The hotel is in the middle of the shopping districts. I was in Glasgow two days, so took the Hop-on/off tour one day and walked/shopped the next.

My room was large with double bed, tv armoire (liquor cabinet), large desk, desk chair and comfortable reading chair. It was very clean. Also there was a large cupboard/closet near the bathroom. The tartan tile and shower curtain in the bathroom made it special I thought. Don’t often see that! In fact the lamp base and pillows had thistle designs which meant although not brand new, at least there was a decorator’s touch and not just generic hotel decor. My view was of the inner building. I had meals in the city, with the exception of breakfast at the hotel. It was a typical full Scottish breakfast at the restaurant on the 7th floor with a view of the city rooftops.

The staff was very polite. I was only a little disappointed at their lack of knowledge regarding the general hours of the shops along Buchanan Street. I had a pleasant stay and would return to the Carlton George.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Aunt_D
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2009
Dear Guest

Thank you for you feedback. Our top priorities are guest care adn hospitality, it is pleasing to read we are getting most things right.

new hampshire
Reviewed May 27, 2009

My husband and I were both very taken with this hotel. We stayed at three hotels on our recent trip, and this hotel was by far the most comfortable and enjoyable. The other two hotels were in London and forgettable.
I can't find fault with anything about it. The room was spacious and so was the bathroom. The towels were plentiful and the minifridge was stocked with free soft drinks. There were also Scotch and other spirits in the room at no charge. In the lounge there was additional alcohol to be had at no charge, and although drinking isn't important to us, we were impressed that it was available at no charge.
The location was perfect to downtown, the Queen Street station, the Glasgow School of Art which was designed by Rennie Mackintosh.
The buses and other public transportation was very handy to the hotel. We found the staff very helpful, and the breakfast was very expansive. Not only was there a buffet for the cereal, croissants, fruit and so on, but a hot Scottish full breakfast could be had as well, and was very good.
We ate one dinner at the hotel and we found that was delicious as well.

Also two computers were available in the lounge at no charge. In the hotels we stayed at in London, they charged up to $7.50 AN HOUR to use the internet.
All in all, we would have liked to stay an extra day in Glasgow in order to enjoy this hotel another day!

2 Thank jc3s
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments- it is always pleasing to hear that we are getting things right. I look forward to welcoming you back to Glasgow in the future.I will ensure my team brush up on their knowledge of shopping hours.

edinburgh
Reviewed May 18, 2009

We stayed here last year and were very impressed, not so much this time, however. The staff seemed to be in a dream. Our double room only had one set of towels and I had to phone twice, once at night and then again in the morning when I needed the towels, to get them to bring them up. On checkout, it was a good job I carefully checked the credit card amount as it was more than twice the value of the bill! It then took sometime for them to put through the refund.

The room telephone looked as if it could have done with a good clean.

Breakfast was good; however, for £14 a head I would expect them to make the toast rather than have to queue to do it myself with one of those conveyor things.

I'll certainly be thinking carefully before booking here again.

1 Thank Dave_das
Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for failing to meet with your expectations, your feedback is valued and I can assure you that all points will be addressed.

Kind Regards

California
Reviewed May 16, 2009

Maybe I had been spoiled on my trip to Scotland with staying at 4 and 5 star hotels, but was so disappointed when we arrived for out last night at this hotel. The food in the restaurant was adequate but noone was there to help with luggage, we had to park a few blocks away and walk by the subway at night and the stench was horrible. No nightlife in proximity...I thought the free minibar sounded intriguing. Believe me not worth staying. The drinks were in decanters and I was very concered about health precautions as to how many people had been drinking from those decanters. It was obvious it had been used many times over. Any other items in the minibar were convenient store snacks and enough for 1 person even though there were 2 of us in the room.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2009
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. Please accept my apologies that no assistance was offered with your baggage. Being a City Centre property, parking can be difficult, though you could have unloaded your car directly outside the hotel. I do disagree that there is no nightlife in the proximity, we are surrounded by varied and high quality clubs, bars and restaurants.
Our minibars and decanters are checked and refilled daily and high standards of hygiene are adhered to.

Inverness
Reviewed May 13, 2009

There were 7 of us meeting up for a girlie weekend and my friend Marion came across this excellent value for money hotel in a brilliant location. The service we received for the duration of our stay was superb, service is one thing that I am very critical of and I could not critise one bit of the service. Staff were very friendly and helpful which added to our weekend away. Food was great too! Rooms were of a good standard and okay I am getting to it, the executive lounge and free minibar was brilliant!!! The executive lounge gave us a good place for a good old blether. Can not recommend this hotel enough, it was FAB!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2009
I am pleased that we are achieving our goal of excellent customer service. Glad you enjoyed your weekend away and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Carlton George in the future.