“Very Average”

Ranked #19 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
California
“Very Average”
Reviewed May 16, 2009

Maybe I had been spoiled on my trip to Scotland with staying at 4 and 5 star hotels, but was so disappointed when we arrived for out last night at this hotel. The food in the restaurant was adequate but noone was there to help with luggage, we had to park a few blocks away and walk by the subway at night and the stench was horrible. No nightlife in proximity...I thought the free minibar sounded intriguing. Believe me not worth staying. The drinks were in decanters and I was very concered about health precautions as to how many people had been drinking from those decanters. It was obvious it had been used many times over. Any other items in the minibar were convenient store snacks and enough for 1 person even though there were 2 of us in the room.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2009
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. Please accept my apologies that no assistance was offered with your baggage. Being a City Centre property, parking can be difficult, though you could have unloaded your car directly outside the hotel. I do disagree that there is no nightlife in the proximity, we are surrounded by varied and high quality clubs, bars and restaurants.
Our minibars and decanters are checked and refilled daily and high standards of hygiene are adhered to.

Duncan Johnston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Turkish first
Inverness
Reviewed May 13, 2009

There were 7 of us meeting up for a girlie weekend and my friend Marion came across this excellent value for money hotel in a brilliant location. The service we received for the duration of our stay was superb, service is one thing that I am very critical of and I could not critise one bit of the service. Staff were very friendly and helpful which added to our weekend away. Food was great too! Rooms were of a good standard and okay I am getting to it, the executive lounge and free minibar was brilliant!!! The executive lounge gave us a good place for a good old blether. Can not recommend this hotel enough, it was FAB!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2009
I am pleased that we are achieving our goal of excellent customer service. Glad you enjoyed your weekend away and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Carlton George in the future.

Ireland
Reviewed May 5, 2009

Hotel in good location, but that was about all that I can be positive about.for this hotel.
Staff on reception on arrival not infomative. I had to enquire about hotel facilities, breakfast, checkout etc.
I was allocated to room 507 at the back of the hotel, view was a brick wall with the added luxury of a noisy air conditioning unit from the back of the hotel bar "Waxy O'Connors". When I enquired with reception about the possibility of being moved, they declined instantly but assured me the noise from the aircon outside would stop at 10pm. However, the noise continued all the time during my 2 day stay. Also my room was far too hot, so much so I couldn't sleep.

Break fast was disappointing. The coffee was so strong it was undrinkable and the cooked scottish breakfast was dripping with grease and my fried egg had a lump of plastic wrapping served on top.

The worst of all was reception staff member Graeme Reilly. He phoned my room at 11.50 am to tell me to check out, when in fact check out was not until 12 o clock. He was soo rude. Then when I arrived at reception at 11.58, he again continued with his bad manners and general grumpiness. He never said please or thankyou, but just was as rude as he possibly could. He then informed me that he was the hotel manager when I complained about his behaviour.

I would recommend that all hotel staff learn something that's free and most important - good manners. Must do better Carlton George!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2009
I am sorry that your stay did not meet with your expectations. Customer service is our top priority and I can assure you that this experience was cerainly not the norm.
The extraction should indeed have been switched off at 10pm, please accept my apologies for this.
I will certainly look into your comments about the air-conditioning and breakfast.

Regards
glasgow
Reviewed April 28, 2009

We stayed at this super hotel right in the middle of the shopping area for a weekend.
All staff we encountered were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble.
What really impressed me about this place was that the minibar and spirits were all free! How refreshing to receive this unexpected bonus.
We didn't have dinner but breakfast was hot and tasty.
I would stay here everytime I needed a treat, I live in Glasgow but well worth it.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vivelafrance_9
Thank you for your feedback, it is always encouraging to read that we are meeting guest expectations. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Carlton George in the future.

Regards
fife
Reviewed April 9, 2009

great location for night out and shopping....but these are the only positives about our stay at this hotel! on arrival we were given the key for our executive room..on entering we immediately realised it was already someone elses room....handbag, mobile phone,luggage and clothes already there! we went back to reception where they allocated another room but really offered not much of an apology, they relly couldnt care less. the next room was half the size of the previous room..we complained again , were upgraded to a club room...which was still half size of the first one..but it did have biscuits and some crisps!!! on our arrival we had also been told that our evening meal which had been part of our package had to be taken by 6pm as the restaurant was fully booked...this was not advised when booking. we were supposed to be meeting friends at 5 for some drinks but had to cancel as it would just be a mad rush! we were rather fed up by this point but thought we would wait till morning to speak to a manager. when checking out we were being charged for a lunch (which was also part of our package) at waxy,s next door which we hadn,t used because of all the hassle with the room on the saturday, we didnt get settled in a room till after 3....there was no point in going for our lunch at that time when we were to have our evening meal by 6! when a manager finally came to speak with us...20 minutes later they were very polite and apologetic saying that all this muddle up was certainly not what the carlton george hotel was about . they were going to get back to us the following day once they had all the information and spoken to the staff involved. after no contact was made at all on the monday i had to call them....sgain the reservations manager whom i spoke to said she would call me back that day and apologised AGAIN. when she did call back she brought to my attention that we had been upgraded to a club room...the one with the biscuits and crisps! ! ...when i said that the whole thing had been a shambles, being given the key to someone elses room, the hassle with the evening meal and the lunch, the fact we werent happy with the way it had all been handled, she offered us an upgrade to a club room with a balcony on our next visit. well there wont be one...we went there in good faith expecting a high standard of hotel which the carlton george portrays itself as. i am now waiting on the general manager who is on holiday getting back to us, but im not holding my breath!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mbly
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2009
Mrs Blythe,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We do take customer care seriously and can assure you that this is in no way indicative of the norm here at the Carlton George.
Please accept my apologies that you were allocated an occupied room and that the restaurant was too busy to accommodate your booking at your preferred time. I cna assure you that should you wish to stay in the future you will experience true Carlton hospitality and service.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 22, 2009

Stayed at the Carlton George for one night in March. The location is indeed perfect - centrally located for just about anything in Glasgw and very easy to find.

My disappointment came from the fact that the hotel oversold itself on the ad on Expedia, where I made the reservation. It advertised a superior room with free mini bar, a gift from Neal's Yard Remedy Gift, and free drink tickets at Waxy O'Connors. The mini bar was indeed free (although it didn't have any snacks in it) but there was no free gift (the staff at Reception had never heard of such a thing), and the drinks were actually buy one get one free rather than 100% free (thought it was too good to be true!). There also were not tea and coffee facilities in the room or cable television, which were advertised on Expedia. It just didn't strike me as a 4 star hotel.

There was also a mix up upon my arrival - I had requested a twin room but was given a king. When we came back down to Reception this was immediately seen to, but the new room had empty beer bottles in it, so we weren't sure if it was clean. For the third room, the Reception person went up to check first, and things were fine.

The hallways in the hotel had a slight odor (especially the first floor - it smelled like Indian take-away).

On the plus side though, the interior room we stayed in was extremely quiet and I had an excellent nights sleep.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Aberdeenshire
Reviewed February 18, 2009

Nice hotel and nice greeting at reception. The hotel is quite traditionally styled, and if you are looking for any fancy gadgets or modern decor then you wont find it here. I was initially disappointed by the size of the room. We booked what we thought was their 'best room'. A club balcony room, the balcony part being requested for seperately as we thought it would make it special. It didn't. The balcony was quite small, although may have been more use in the summer. No view in front, just looking directly into some offices. The room size was small compared to what I believed the hotel photo's showed. Don't know if there were other larger rooms in the hotel. Bathroom good sized, but again more traditional than I would have liked.
However, the hotel was clean and tidy, if not in need of some repair and modernisation. The mini bar being free made everything okay as did the wonderful lounge bar. Where you just help yourself to whatever you fancy drinking.
Staff were very pleasant, friendly and helpful. They answered all enquiries to the reception quickly and efficiently.
We didn't have any meals in the hotel, only breakfast, which was lovely. A hot & cold buffet breakfast with all the usual suspects. Very good for filling you up for a day of shopping!
Overall I loved my stay in Glasgow and would probably stay in this hotel again. Although would possibly try to find that modern feel that I have been looking for when I want a more special stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple