“City centre quality”

Carlton George Hotel
Ranked #17 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed April 28, 2009

We stayed at this super hotel right in the middle of the shopping area for a weekend.
All staff we encountered were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble.
What really impressed me about this place was that the minibar and spirits were all free! How refreshing to receive this unexpected bonus.
We didn't have dinner but breakfast was hot and tasty.
I would stay here everytime I needed a treat, I live in Glasgow but well worth it.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vivelafrance_9
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2009

Thank you for your feedback, it is always encouraging to read that we are meeting guest expectations. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Carlton George in the future.

Regards
Duncan Johnston

Write a ReviewReviews (1,875)

Reviewed April 9, 2009

great location for night out and shopping....but these are the only positives about our stay at this hotel! on arrival we were given the key for our executive room..on entering we immediately realised it was already someone elses room....handbag, mobile phone,luggage and clothes already there! we went back to reception where they allocated another room but really offered not much of an apology, they relly couldnt care less. the next room was half the size of the previous room..we complained again , were upgraded to a club room...which was still half size of the first one..but it did have biscuits and some crisps!!! on our arrival we had also been told that our evening meal which had been part of our package had to be taken by 6pm as the restaurant was fully booked...this was not advised when booking. we were supposed to be meeting friends at 5 for some drinks but had to cancel as it would just be a mad rush! we were rather fed up by this point but thought we would wait till morning to speak to a manager. when checking out we were being charged for a lunch (which was also part of our package) at waxy,s next door which we hadn,t used because of all the hassle with the room on the saturday, we didnt get settled in a room till after 3....there was no point in going for our lunch at that time when we were to have our evening meal by 6! when a manager finally came to speak with us...20 minutes later they were very polite and apologetic saying that all this muddle up was certainly not what the carlton george hotel was about . they were going to get back to us the following day once they had all the information and spoken to the staff involved. after no contact was made at all on the monday i had to call them....sgain the reservations manager whom i spoke to said she would call me back that day and apologised AGAIN. when she did call back she brought to my attention that we had been upgraded to a club room...the one with the biscuits and crisps! ! ...when i said that the whole thing had been a shambles, being given the key to someone elses room, the hassle with the evening meal and the lunch, the fact we werent happy with the way it had all been handled, she offered us an upgrade to a club room with a balcony on our next visit. well there wont be one...we went there in good faith expecting a high standard of hotel which the carlton george portrays itself as. i am now waiting on the general manager who is on holiday getting back to us, but im not holding my breath!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mbly
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2009

Mrs Blythe,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We do take customer care seriously and can assure you that this is in no way indicative of the norm here at the Carlton George.
Please accept my apologies that you were allocated an occupied room and that the restaurant was too busy to accommodate your booking at your preferred time. I cna assure you that should you wish to stay in the future you will experience true Carlton hospitality and service.

Duncan Johnston

Reviewed March 22, 2009

Stayed at the Carlton George for one night in March. The location is indeed perfect - centrally located for just about anything in Glasgw and very easy to find.

My disappointment came from the fact that the hotel oversold itself on the ad on Expedia, where I made the reservation. It advertised a superior room with free mini bar, a gift from Neal's Yard Remedy Gift, and free drink tickets at Waxy O'Connors. The mini bar was indeed free (although it didn't have any snacks in it) but there was no free gift (the staff at Reception had never heard of such a thing), and the drinks were actually buy one get one free rather than 100% free (thought it was too good to be true!). There also were not tea and coffee facilities in the room or cable television, which were advertised on Expedia. It just didn't strike me as a 4 star hotel.

There was also a mix up upon my arrival - I had requested a twin room but was given a king. When we came back down to Reception this was immediately seen to, but the new room had empty beer bottles in it, so we weren't sure if it was clean. For the third room, the Reception person went up to check first, and things were fine.

The hallways in the hotel had a slight odor (especially the first floor - it smelled like Indian take-away).

On the plus side though, the interior room we stayed in was extremely quiet and I had an excellent nights sleep.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 18, 2009

Nice hotel and nice greeting at reception. The hotel is quite traditionally styled, and if you are looking for any fancy gadgets or modern decor then you wont find it here. I was initially disappointed by the size of the room. We booked what we thought was their 'best room'. A club balcony room, the balcony part being requested for seperately as we thought it would make it special. It didn't. The balcony was quite small, although may have been more use in the summer. No view in front, just looking directly into some offices. The room size was small compared to what I believed the hotel photo's showed. Don't know if there were other larger rooms in the hotel. Bathroom good sized, but again more traditional than I would have liked.
However, the hotel was clean and tidy, if not in need of some repair and modernisation. The mini bar being free made everything okay as did the wonderful lounge bar. Where you just help yourself to whatever you fancy drinking.
Staff were very pleasant, friendly and helpful. They answered all enquiries to the reception quickly and efficiently.
We didn't have any meals in the hotel, only breakfast, which was lovely. A hot & cold buffet breakfast with all the usual suspects. Very good for filling you up for a day of shopping!
Overall I loved my stay in Glasgow and would probably stay in this hotel again. Although would possibly try to find that modern feel that I have been looking for when I want a more special stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2009

I have stayed several times at this hotel and really like their rooms and the service at reception is excellent but the service at breakfast is attrocious for the price and the quality of food is also, particularly the cooked breakfast. the service staff at breakfast were more concerned with conversing with each other than serving tea or coffe to my partner and myself and I ended up serving our second coffee myself.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank alpal42
Reviewed February 5, 2009

we had a great stay here - excellent location, nice room, free drinks in room and lounge was a nice touch - probably costs the hotel very little but adds to the experience.

i agree the rooms aren't huge - but if you book early this is a very good value smart little central hotel.

I don't think i would pay the last minute full whack charge - but it is a perfect location for a weekend in glasgow. The airport bus stop is very nearby as are as many shops, pubs and restaurants as you could need!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank Donna2
Reviewed February 4, 2009

Fom arrival to departure, the service we received from the staff at this hotel was excellent. Special mention to the young chap in the residents lounge who kept us plied with drink and remembered our order (6 people) without a glitch. Great location, service, food and drink.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends